IT.COM

strategy "Inexplicable" auction results and sales - Maybe we can learn

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
I am sure any following latest sales or past/current auctions have seen the results that frankly amaze us.

Names that most of us would not hand reg or would not bid a very low amount sell for $xxx, $xxxx or $xxxxx, very often with more than 2 bidders sometimes.

I think it would be useful to share some of those and see if we can collectively solve what might be the value in them. It might also help us honing our skills in seeing hidden gems )

Here is the latest name that surprised me. Just got Pheenix auction newsletter and the leading name there is:

pai-ca.org at $325 with 2 hours to go. It is 5 characters, it has dash in it and it is org and yet it leads the current auction page with 35 bids.

Another one that surprised me was h5vr.com at $59 with 2 bidders. There are still some L+N+VR.com names available for hand reg at $8.5. What is so special about H5?

Godaddy auctions have twitgoo.com at $815 with 21 bids and a day to go. Why???? Seriously, why????

Securalive.com is at $396 with 24 names. I can't even think of commercial application for this brandable. Wouldn't probably be admitted to any of brandable marketplaces. And yet...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
can't speak first hand for any of those, but Hi5 is (or was) a popular social network in thailand and s.e.a., h5vr sounds like hifiver.

no idea about twitgoo

•••
can't speak first hand for any of those, but Hi5 is (or was) a popular social network in thailand and s.e.a., h5vr sounds like hifiver.

no idea about twitgoo

Great explanation for H5VR, they could get a story behind the brand ) You seem to have a knack for branding )

•••
pai-ca.org just sold for $828.
Both seem to be Chinese pinyin. Anyone knows what the phrase means together?

•••
SecuraLive appears to be the name of some Antivirus software.

•••
•••
always go to google and search for the domain name in quotes

•••
Protection & Advocacy, Inc. (PAI)
http://www.pai-ca.org
PAI provides information about the legal and service rights of people with disabilities, as well as information about procedures and sources of assistance in obtaining and enforcing these rights. This information is intended to assist people in addressing and resolving their problems independently. PAI’s information services are not intended to and do not contain specific legal advice for individual problems. As part of this service, PAI maintains a statewide toll-free number.

•••
Protection & Advocacy, Inc. (PAI)
http://www.pai-ca.org
PAI provides information about the legal and service rights of people with disabilities, as well as information about procedures and sources of assistance in obtaining and enforcing these rights. This information is intended to assist people in addressing and resolving their problems independently. PAI’s information services are not intended to and do not contain specific legal advice for individual problems. As part of this service, PAI maintains a statewide toll-free number.

Thanks, that explains it. The name is Alexa 78K!!! Must mean thousands of unique visitors a day! Is the organization still around or they dissolved?

•••
Awesome thread @Recons.Com .. what's more awesome is that these mysteries are getting solved by NPers.

•••
•••
Twitgoo looks like it was some kind of Twitter picture-sharing site. 450 backlinks and page rank a of 2.8 million.

•••
Years ago we couldn't upload images on Twitter just like on this forum, at that point there was a famous service called as Twitpic.com (now bought by Twitter)

Twitgoo was a similar service where you could upload images and use the link to tweet them.
It got crushed alive by Twitpic and later by introduction of images directly on Twitter.

Twitgoo has many backlinks including ones from Mashable. 'm guessing the people bidding are the previous owners or someone who wants to leech off parking.

•••
Twitgoo looks like it was some kind of Twitter picture-sharing site. 450 backlinks and page rank a of 2.8 million.

Yeah, I forgot about traffic domains from former developed sites. I stopped looking for those, as they tended to get overpriced and their traffic go down really fast back to nothing. Thank you!

•••
There are many reason why domains are considered valuable that are not obvious just by looking at the name.

• Chinese domains containing favored letters or numbers
  • domains with many back-links, etc.

•••
pai-ca.org

800 backlinks ( = traffic )

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back