IT.COM

.in Indian government to boost .IN domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
As you probably know, .IN is the ccTLD for the country of India.

For Indian companies and entities, .IN domain names are already fairly popular, although .com is apparently even more popular there. The Indian government, which manages the .IN ccTLD, is planning an advertising campaign to encourage Indians to use .IN domain names.

Here is an excerpt from the Economic Times article that discusses this upcoming marketing effort:

“With an aim to promote the .in domain name, which is India’s official website extension – but continues to be in the shadows of the more popular .com domain name – the ministry of electronics and IT (MEIT) is planning a massive advertising campaign aimed at companies, individuals and startups.”

The aim of the advertising campaign is to increase the number of registered .IN domain names to 3 million+ registrations.

Source

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Looks like I'll soon get end-user offers on my one and only .in

•••
that's GOod news ! cause I am sure this will increase Indian ppl trust!

•••
Thanks, Arpit for sharing this.

I see it as a very good & positive piece of news.

I would consider investing as I think the market is poised to grow sustainably and we might even see a spike in interest and demand in the coming months and years.

•••
I suppose we will see a (boosted) organic growth for .in. The number a registered .in domains is currently way below what it should be in a country as big as India.

•••
Needs to be a lot more transparency from the .in registry and the way complaints etc are handled before there is going to be a general acceptance of .in.

At the moment there are some very iffy decisions against .in owners.

•••
Needs to be a lot more transparency from the .in registry and the way complaints etc are handled before there is going to be a general acceptance of .in.

At the moment there are some very iffy decisions against .in owners.
Fully agree from a domainer point of view.

But this government plan focuses on Indian companies and indididual that have no idea of how .in registry is managed.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back