Dynadot

alert Important check dns on all your domains.

NameSilo
Watch

namezest

Top Member
Impact
It appears many changes are being made now in the form of dns poisoning, especially with the cheap domains being registered. Whoever is behind it is especially using godaddy acquired extensions.
If you are parking and not getting traffic this may be the cause, names affected may have been hosted with namecheap in the past.
namesilo godaddy namecheap domains especially should be checked. I lost no domains but lots of traffic.
@namesilo @Joe Styler

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It appears many changes are being made now in the form of dns poisoning, especially with the cheap domains being registered. Whoever is behind it is especially using godaddy acquired extensions.
If you are parking and not getting traffic this may be the cause, names affected may have been hosted with namecheap in the past.
namesilo godaddy namecheap domains especially should be checked. I lost no domains but lots of traffic.
How do you check for DNS poisoning?

•••
If I understand correctly DNS Poisoning works by hacking DNS servers. So that would not be directly under our control (except for the few who manage their own DNS servers), but I presume vast majority use those at registrars, etc. Do you mean there is evidence those are being attacked successfully? Are you simply suggesting to periodically check that our names go where we expect? Does anyone know of an automatic way to check?

https://www.keyfactor.com/blog/what-is-dns-poisoning-and-dns-spoofing/

•••
Good question, since we are preparing for potentially extensive cyberattacks. Any savvy tech folks out there that can answer this?

•••
just a general tip, and one I don't follow too rigorously... Wherever you can, take a few extra steps to add in DNSSEC on your domain names to reduce the footprint / exposure to cache poisoning and diversion tactics.

•••
just a general tip, and one I don't follow too rigorously... Wherever you can, take a few extra steps to add in DNSSEC on your domain names to reduce the footprint / exposure to cache poisoning and diversion tactics.
In general yes for developed sites (end-user).

But for domain parking and domain marketplaces I guess it will be a nightmare.

Last edited:
•••
Whenever you get a name transferred to you from an expired auction or a name you purchased, run it through https://dnschecker.org/all-dns-records-of-domain.php and make sure you do not see entries that do not belong there. The other day when @alcy reported an issue with a name he has, I use this link and discovered the possible issue right away.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back