Dynadot

I'm Brad Mugford, owner of DataCube.com. AMA

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I registered my first domain in the late 1990's, but have been an active domain investor for 15+ years now.

I am going to call this an Ask Me (Almost) Anything.
There might be some questions I am unwilling or unable to answer.

I would prefer to keep the questions related to domain investment, or business in general.

Feel free to ask general questions, or specific questions for instance regarding an appraisal of your domain.

About:
Twitter - https://twitter.com/datacubecom (I have not really used Twitter much, but plan to start using it more.)
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/in/bradmugford/

I am not sure how long I am going to leave this thread open. Let's see how it goes.

Brad

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello MR. Brad Mugford!

I am very glad that somehow I met you!!!

Please consider one of my domains
ehawaii.xyz

Thank you very much!
Sell it on NP auctions. It is good way to learn what the pros on your domain.

•••
What books and online resources have you found of great importance during your journey?

Thank you so much for this AMA.

•••
What are your "succession" plans? With such a huge portfolio, I assume it would be really hard to sell it all in bulk if you or someone else needed to sell the portfolio. Or are there locations to sell a portfolio in bulk that I may just not be aware of?

Also, I went to datacube.com and see that most of your domains are set to offer only. What is the logic behind doing it that way vs setting prices and then making the option for offers as well?

Last edited:
•••
What are your "succession" plans? With such a huge portfolio, I assume it would be really hard to sell it all in bulk if you or someone else needed to sell the portfolio. Or are there locations to sell a portfolio in bulk that I may just not be aware of?

Also, I went to datacube.com and see that most of your domains are set to offer only. What is the logic behind doing it that way vs setting prices and then making the option for offers as well?
Ok, I finished reading through your posts in this thread (I just got excited and posted too early), but it sounds like there isn't any option to sell a portfolio of domain names in bulk. Am I right?

•••
I collect a mix, mainly graded vintage stuff. Pre-junk wax era.
I am not that interested in modern day cards.

I generally prefer basketball and football, but baseball has way more iconic cards when it comes to collecting.
I have a little hockey as well.

I also have some nostalgic cards like early Garbage Pail Kids.
Anyone who grew up in the 80's remembers those.

Brad

Thanks Brad. It is good to know about another interesting side of yours, apart from your success in business.

And I almost confuse "football" with "soccer", given our geolocation and linguistic differences :)

•••
What books and online resources have you found of great importance during your journey?

Thank you so much for this AMA.
I have not really read any books specifically on domains, but here are some books I like in various categories.

Business -

The Lean Startup
https://www.amazon.com/Lean-Startup-Entrepreneurs-Continuous-Innovation/dp/0307887898

Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
https://www.amazon.com/Influence-New-Expanded-Psychology-Persuasion/dp/B08RLT11Q3/

General -

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0062457713/

Think Again: The Power of Knowing What You Don't Know
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1984878107/

Non-fiction -

The Selfish Gene
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0198788606/

Novels -

Slaughterhouse-Five
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385333846/

Stranger in a Strange Land
https://www.amazon.com/Stranger-Strange-Land-Robert-Heinlein/dp/198480278X

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
https://www.amazon.com/Hitchhikers-Guide-Galaxy-Douglas-Adams/dp/0345418913/

Last edited:
•••

It is hard to sell a large portfolio, especially one that is a mixed bag when it comes to extensions, formats, values, etc.

My website is more of a portfolio website than a marketplace. Some of the listings on there are dated and need to be updated. There are also many domains I own not listed on there at the moment.

I sell the majority of my domains via traditional venues.

If something happens to me, I have educated people in my inner circle of friends and family about the business over the last several years.

They have a rough idea of how it works. The plan would just be to continue to make sales over time.

Brad

•••
Hi Brad,

I hope you are well.

I have a question about .org domains

Provided that it is a strong keyword that matches with the "org" extension, would you still believe in its full potential if there are already some big websites existing in other extensions, such as .com / .net or other ccTLDs?

Cheers,

•••
Hi Brad,

I hope you are well.

I have a question about .org domains

Provided that it is a strong keyword that matches with the "org" extension, would you still believe in its full potential if there are already some big websites existing in other extensions, such as .com / .net or other ccTLDs?

Cheers,
Sure, as long as it is a popular generic term.

Those have large pools of potential buyers with or without other extensions being developed.
The other extensions are just another potential buyer, assuming there are not TM issues.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I’ will not asking you about domaining (a while) and I just say thank you. I got the impression that I am like you but in a few years, when I will get bored with the domain business. Your post is like confession, you are summing up your achievments to open new business horizons. The questions of your colleagues can help you find new development paths and domain decisions. Your post is an interesting experiment. Thanks for the boldness, Brad!

•••
don't have official employees but I do use assistance on various tasks sometimes.
I do outsource some work, especially when it is tedious or boring.
Thanks Brad for sharing your knowledge with the community. If you don't mind, I would like to take up some of those boring tasks for you.

•••
Hi Brad,

:) Just got a question on my mind since you have a successful track of success in .org

Is it worthwhile to pick up an expired .org domain that has 2 keywords that make total sense combining together and there was a well established website set up some years (or even a decade ago)?

Provided that there would not be trademark issue, would such history be a positive or negative impact on the acquisition?

Thanks.

•••
Thanks Brad for sharing your knowledge with the community. If you don't mind, I would like to take up some of those boring tasks for you.
I will let you know if anything comes up.

Brad

•••
Hi Brad,

:) Just got a question on my mind since you have a successful track of success in .org

Is it worthwhile to pick up an expired .org domain that has 2 keywords that make total sense combining together and there was a well established website set up some years (or even a decade ago)?

Provided that there would not be trademark issue, would such history be a positive or negative impact on the acquisition?

Thanks.
It depends on the history. If it has traits like a strong backlink profile then it could be a positive.
If it was blacklisted, or used for nefarious actions that would clearly be a negative.

In most situations it ends up being a neutral though.

If you want to DM me the specific domain, feel free.

Brad

•••
No real questions Brad, but just wanted to thank you for willingness to share. It's so good to see a thread where respect is at the forefront. People asking useful questions who are willing to learn, and yourself sharing honestly in order to provide assistance. I don't spend much time at all on online boards these days since trolls and flame wars seem to be the order of the day behind the anonymity of a keyboard, and in general, people seem to take pleasure in disagreeing with others, just because they can. I'm glad I took the time out to read this thread. If only people were as respectful on all threads!

Oh, I thought of a question. Took a quick look at your website and I notice that your Domain Brokerage page is 'coming soon'. Have you ever engaged in Brokerage, or do you intend to still? Or perhaps like many of my good intentions 'soon' never quite arrives... ;)

Anyway, thanks again.

•••
Oh, I thought of a question. Took a quick look at your website and I notice that your Domain Brokerage page is 'coming soon'. Have you ever engaged in Brokerage, or do you intend to still? Or perhaps like many of my good intentions 'soon' never quite arrives... ;)

Anyway, thanks again.

It has been "coming soon" for a long time. :)

I generally don't broker domains, though there have been times I have connected buyer and sellers.
That is normally more of a favor though, not really as a source of income.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
It might be for some, but in my situation I don't really drop enough domains for it to make sense.

I am normally dropping them for a reason, so I doubt I would get much for them.

Brad,

Holding a relatively sizeable portfolio is pricey, what percentage of those domains do you estimate are non-renewable?

Regarding questionable names, what are some of the metrics used for making the decision to keep them?

Any remorse for those names that you may have dropped? Have you repurchased any domains that you may have dropped in past?

Cheers :beaver:

Last edited:
•••
I think you posted about ibonds right before the May increase to 9.62%. I knew about bonds when I was a kid but hadn't owned any. The last time I had looked I think was when they were below 2% so after seeing your post I did some research on them and when the rate jumped a few days later, I put in the max 10k.

So thanks for reminding me of the existence of savings bonds!

•••
Brad,

Holding a relatively sizeable portfolio is pricey, what percentage of those domains do you estimate are non-renewable?

Regarding questionable names, what are some of the metrics used for making the decision to keep them?

Any remorse for those names that you may have dropped? Have you repurchased any domains that you may have dropped in past?

Cheers :beaver:
I renew around 95% or more of my domains. At this point all I really drop are lower tier secondary extensions or marginal GEO domains.

I have really only bought domains that I considered long term renewals for several years now.

In the past I have dropped several domains that went on to sell, some for good amounts.

But, what can you do? Costs are certain. Sales are uncertain.
If you could see the future it would make the business much easier. :)

I have several domains that have been in my portfolio more than once. Some I have even sold more than once.

Often they are domains that I have sold in the past and re-acquired when the dropped, the owner dropped a project, or ones I let expire that I picked up again.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I think you posted about ibonds right before the May increase to 9.62%. I knew about bonds when I was a kid but hadn't owned any. The last time I had looked I think was when they were below 2% so after seeing your post I did some research on them and when the rate jumped a few days later, I put in the max 10k.

So thanks for reminding me of the existence of savings bonds!
(NOT INVESTING ADVICE)

The I series bond adjusts the rate for inflation. That is why it is such a great investment at the moment, when it might not be in normal times.

Most people believe the best time to buy these is towards the end of October and April, at least when the current rate is favorable.

If you lock it in by the end of October, you get (6) months at the current rate (9.62%). When the rate adjusts, it is still likely to be very high.

These bonds only have a (1) year lock period. Even as a short term investment, they are a solid option when inflation is high.

Also, you can purchase $10,000 per SSN or EIN. If you own a business, they are a separate entity when it comes to these bonds.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Hi Brad,

I notice that you mostly use GD as registrar.

They might be good but definitely on the higher end when it comes to renewal.

May I ask what makes you willing to pay more? Your portfolio is huge and therefore should be more cost sensitive.

Please ignore this question if you have an NDA in exchange for a lower cost.

Cheers,

•••
Hi Brad,

I notice that you mostly use GD as registrar.

They might be good but definitely on the higher end when it comes to renewal.

May I ask what makes you willing to pay more? Your portfolio is huge and therefore should be more cost sensitive.

Please ignore this question if you have an NDA in exchange for a lower cost.

Cheers,

I don't have any special agreement with GoDaddy on pricing.

The most important things to me when it comes to a registrar are security, pricing, and customer support.

GoDaddy checks all those boxes for me.

On pricing, their Domain Discount Club offers competitive rates on major extensions. It might not make sense for everyone, but if you have a large portfolio it can.

On security, they have an option called DTVS which I use, which essentially locks your account from pushes or transfers without express approval.

On customer support, their premier services department is highly responsive and knowledgeable.

On top of that, I generally sell domains to end users.

Everyone has heard of GoDaddy. Most already have accounts there.

I have found it adds far less friction to deals than maybe using some lesser known registrar.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Thanks Brad. Speaking of end users, may I ask for your opinions on platforms like Dan and Sedo in terms of STR? As I saw domains of yours leading to different platforms with type-in traffic.

•••
Thanks Brad. Speaking of end users, may I ask for your opinions on platforms like Dan and Sedo in terms of STR? As I saw domains of yours leading to different platforms with type-in traffic.
I don't really use SEDO that much.

I have some domains going to Dan.com landers. Some are priced, more are make offer.

I have some going to Afternic BIN landers, for instance .US. I have found these to do much better with Afternic landers, for whatever reason.

Brad

•••
Thanks Brad. From the eyes of end users, do they perceive things differently when it comes to DAN / Afternic platform?

Or - if an end user likes your name, he/she would just simply hit the BIN even if the platform is unfamiliar?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back