Dynadot

I'm Brad Mugford, owner of DataCube.com. AMA

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I registered my first domain in the late 1990's, but have been an active domain investor for 15+ years now.

I am going to call this an Ask Me (Almost) Anything.
There might be some questions I am unwilling or unable to answer.

I would prefer to keep the questions related to domain investment, or business in general.

Feel free to ask general questions, or specific questions for instance regarding an appraisal of your domain.

About:
Twitter - https://twitter.com/datacubecom (I have not really used Twitter much, but plan to start using it more.)
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/in/bradmugford/

I am not sure how long I am going to leave this thread open. Let's see how it goes.

Brad

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi Brad

besides what you mentioned,
nowadays, i'd say "common sense".
That is something that is hard to teach. :)

Brad

•••
Ok so let's say there are brandable two-word .com domains where the expected STR will be 2-3% yearly (so like the average-level brandable domains on BrandBucket or Squadhelp), then what is the ratio you would pay for these domains in wholesale price, compared to the end-user price? Assuming that the domains are brandable .com domains with an end-user price of $2000 - $20,000 and with 2-3% expected STR.

Is this just a random brandable, or a brandable term that already has some potential end users?
The reason I ask is because people use brandable in different ways.

If there are obvious potential end users, I would be willing to pay a higher ratio.

But for argument's sake, let's take reseller value and end users out of the equation.

Sometimes I buy domains simply because they "sound good" as a brand, even if they are not in use.

If you want actual numbers I would prefer to buy this type of domain for $100 - $350.
I would generally price it around mid $X,XXX.

I buy domains with a long term mindset. The math works better over time, than in year 1.
Plus, with a large portfolio you will make the random outlier sale here and there.

Brad

•••
•••
Common sense is not common. 😉

Last edited:
•••
Hi Brad,

No question (at least not yet). I just wanted to say "thanks" for doing this.

•••
Lots of users saying they respect your opinion Brad. Was/is there anyone in particular in the industry that you look up to or that inspires you or that you admire maybe?

•••
Thanks for the thread, it's been a good read.....

Have been reading your posts for a few years now and they are always on point, full of common sense and good advice - long may it continue.......

Couple of questions below.....

Have you invested in any Web3 domains? - .crypto | .nft | .wallet etc etc

What is favourite .org domain currently in your portfolio?

How many more years do think you will continue with domaining?

Is there a cap on the total number of domains you want to own or will you keep just buying?

•••
If it's not a secret, in case of two-word .com domain names, what are your top 5 main keywords and top 5 prefix/suffix keywords?

(For example, in case of DataCube.com the main keyword would be "data" and the suffix keyword would be "cube".)

By "top keyword" I mean your keywords which generate the highest average amount of sales for a given keyword, without the outliers (so only those keywords where you have already sold multiple domains, not just a single domain).

•••
If it's not a secret, in case of two-word .com domain names, what are your top 5 main keywords and top 5 prefix/suffix keywords?

(For example, in case of DataCube.com the main keyword would be "data" and the suffix keyword would be "cube".)

By "top keyword" I mean your keywords which generate the highest average amount of sales for a given keyword, without the outliers (so only those keywords where you have already sold multiple domains, not just a single domain).
In the case of "Data Cube"......

Data would be the prefix and Cube the suffix as both "data & "cube" are very strong individual "main" keywords

•••
In the case of "Data Cube"......

Data would be the prefix and Cube the suffix as both "data & "cube" are very strong individual "main" keywords
Ok maybe a wrong example, so let's say there is the domain "DataWorld.com", so in this case "data" would be the main keyword and "world" a suffix. Or in case of "SuperData.com", "super" is a prefix and "data" is the main keyword. So this is what I mean by main keyword and prefix/suffix keywords.

•••
@Charybdis It is easiest to use only the words "prefix" and "suffix", not "main keyword".

•••
Wow, lot's of things are here to learn. Nothing to do, just read expert's comments, and We can be domain pro at some time. Thanks everyone. This is interesting forum and helping me to learn many things.

•••
@bmugford

Thank you for this AMA. Since I joined nP you have always been of great inspiration to me as I generally like your down to earth and transparant attitude towards matters being discussed.

My question to you is:
What's an enjoyable thing domaining brought you, you wouldn't have been able to afford without it?

Being at it full time, it comes with certain perks. Being your own boss. Working at hours you prefer etc. But when starting out, there's probably a turning point where you started making good money next to a day to day job providing you with extra cash to spend.

To illustrate; when I started out, at some point I had some additional cash to spend from sales which I spent on a vintage Gibson guitar. I wouldn't have been able to buy a costly piece like this saving up from my day to day job earnings.

Nowadays my goals are bigger (funds going towards my perfect little place off the grid) but it's these 'small' things I wouldn't have been able to afford if it wasn't for domaining I enjoy the most.

Last edited:
•••
Lots of users saying they respect your opinion Brad. Was/is there anyone in particular in the industry that you look up to or that inspires you or that you admire maybe?
There are too many names to even list. I have respect for so many people in the field.

Instead of just listing all the domain investing legends, I am going to mix it up a bit. This is not a compressive list, but just off the top of my head.

Let's start with a couple people who posted in this thread -

George Kirikos (@GeorgeK) - He is a very important voice in the domain world. His commitment to defending registrant rights is unmatched and he has taken on the often thankless task of standing up to ICANN. One of the smartest people I know in or outside the domain field.

Check out his website - https://freespeech.com/

Adam Strong (@strong) - A domain investment legend. He has made many impressive sales and was involved in the founding of some well known companies in the domain world.

Other investors -

Garry Chernoff - He might not get as much attention as some others, but he is absolute legend in the field. One of the true pioneers.

Nat Cohen (@Nat Cohen) - Another legendary investor. A strong defender of registrant rights.

Luc Biggs (@Federer) - We started around the same time. One of the most successful investors who has built a business based on consistent sales over the years.

News / Industry -

Raymond Hackney (@equity78) - One of the best and most consistent writers in the field.

Bob Hawkes (@Bob Hawkes) - Another top tier writer. The articles he has written can be useful for anyone from noobs to seasoned investors.

Ron Jackson (@Ron Jackson) - For running DNJournal.com for almost 20 years.

Andrew Alleman (@DomainNameWire) - One of the original domain blogs.

Michael Cyger (@Michael Cyger) - He has made a lot of contributions to the field, specifically on the education side.

NamePros members -

@RJ - For founding NamePros

(retired members)

These are two of the the members who contributed the most over the years. Maybe one day they will come back.

@Kate
@JB Lions

I also want to thank everyone else who has posted in this thread.

(Side note. This post took way longer than I expected.)

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Couple of questions below.....

Have you invested in any Web3 domains? - .crypto | .nft | .wallet etc etc
No. I am not really interested in domains that require special software and/or settings to work properly.

I am also not sold on the "decentralization" marketing pitch. There has to be some centralization to operate in the real world.

Even in Unstoppable Domains lawsuit regarding their .wallet vs handshake .wallet, they make the case for centralization.

What is favourite .org domain currently in your portfolio?
Probably Unique.org. I just think it fits the extension well.

How many more years do think you will continue with domaining?
As long as there are opportunities. Even if I am not buying domains actively, I don't really have any plans on "retiring" any time soon.

Is there a cap on the total number of domains you want to own or will you keep just buying?
I don't have any hard cap, but I end up with around the same number (+/- 200) for a few years now.
There is somewhat of an equilibrium between the number of domains I sell and buy.

I have nothing against buying more, it is just opportunity based.

Brad

•••
Ok maybe a wrong example, so let's say there is the domain "DataWorld.com", so in this case "data" would be the main keyword and "world" a suffix. Or in case of "SuperData.com", "super" is a prefix and "data" is the main keyword. So this is what I mean by main keyword and prefix/suffix keywords.
I have such a mixed portfolio, it is hard for me to really come up with that information.

I will say that (5) endings that I have sold many of are -

Group
Solutions
Auto
RealEstate
Photography

Brad

•••
@bmugford

Thank you for this AMA. Since I joined nP you have always been of great inspiration to me as I generally like your down to earth and transparant attitude towards matters being discussed.
Thanks for the kind words.

My question to you is:
What's an enjoyable thing domaining brought you, you wouldn't have been able to afford without it?

Being at it full time, it comes with certain perks. Being your own boss. Working at hours you prefer etc. But when starting out, there's probably a turning point where you started making good money next to a day to day job providing you with extra cash to spend.
Not having a boss. Being able to work from anywhere with internet.
The freedom is priceless.

To illustrate; when I started out, at some point I had some additional cash to spend from sales which I spent on a vintage Gibson guitar. I wouldn't have been able to buy a costly piece like this saving up from my day to day job earnings.
Well, I am kind of a natural collector. That income has given me the option to collect more.
Vintage sports cards, video games, toys, etc. Some of these "investments" are really just hobbies. :)

Nowadays my goals are bigger (funds going towards my perfect little place off the grid) but it's these 'small' things I wouldn't have been able to afford if it wasn't for domaining I enjoy the most.
That is one of my main goals actually. I have been looking at some off-grid places recently.
I am looking for a place about 30 miles past the middle of nowhere. :)

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for taking the time to answer all our questions.

What is your approach to a domain that you don't want to renew, that is nearing expiration and isn't selling?

•••
What is your approach to a domain that you don't want to renew, that is nearing expiration and isn't selling?
I just let it drop.

I have never really found it that time efficient to try and sell them.
It might be for some, but in my situation I don't really drop enough domains for it to make sense.

I am normally dropping them for a reason, so I doubt I would get much for them.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Hi Brad,

First, thanks for opening yourself off into an AMA and must say this is one of the most valuable threads to be explored on Namepros in terms of the mindset behind a true stalwart of noiseless domain investing. I have respect for you because you combine experience with results, and your approach uses logic that cuts through the fluff.

Though I don't agree with some of your stances, I do appreciate all of your contributions to the domaining industry. From being an ICA member for backing and supporting wrongs or changes that need righting or getting visibility, or voicing concerns and providing research on aspects that concern navigation on several current event settings, and to just general domain know-how, I want to thank you.

My question is, perhaps delving from the domain profession and on a more personal note,

If there was just one person on earth you had the opportunity to spend a week with alone, no other distractions, either to pick their brains or just enjoy the time with, who would it be?

•••
Hi Brad,

First, thanks for opening yourself off into an AMA and must say this is one of the most valuable threads to be explored on Namepros in terms of the mindset behind a true stalwart of noiseless domain investing. I have respect for you because you combine experience with results, and your approach uses logic that cuts through the fluff.

Though I don't agree with some of your stances, I do appreciate all of your contributions to the domaining industry. From being an ICA member for backing and supporting wrongs or changes that need righting or getting visibility, or voicing concerns and providing research on aspects that concern navigation on several current event settings, and to just general domain know-how, I want to thank you.
Thanks. If everyone agreed on everything it would be boring.

My question is, perhaps delving from the domain profession and on a more personal note,

If there was just one person on earth you had the opportunity to spend a week with alone, no other distractions, either to pick their brains or just enjoy the time with, who would it be?
Hmm. That one is going to require a little more thought.

Brad

•••
Not having a boss. Being able to work from anywhere with internet.
The freedom is priceless...

That is one of my main goals actually. I have been looking at some off-grid places recently.
I am looking for a place about 30 miles past the middle of nowhere. :)

Engaging thread, good questions, thoughtful responses :xf.smile:(y)

To be full-time domainer IMO, one must have a sizeable portfolio and that's not easy to manage off-grid, unless you have a fast and stable connection like StarLink (something to keep in mind).

Besides DataCube, have you developed other domains? Have you sold any websites?

Keep up the good work and you will realize your goal.

•••
hi,Brad
1/ how do you think about new gtld ?
2/ have you invested in web3 domains such as ENS / UD ,what is your views about them?
3/ comparing web2 domains and web3 domains, what is your comments in details? how to combine them in investing ?
thank you in advance !

•••
There are too many names to even list. I have respect for so many people in the field.

Instead of just listing all the domain investing legends, I am going to mix it up a bit. This is not a compressive list, but just off the top of my head.

Let's start with a couple people who posted in this thread -

George Kirikos (@GeorgeK) - He is a very important voice in the domain world. His commitment to defending registrant rights is unmatched and he has taken on the often thankless task of standing up to ICANN. One of the smartest people I know in or outside the domain field.

Check out his website - https://freespeech.com/

Adam Strong (@strong) - A domain investment legend. He has made many impressive sales and was involved in the founding of some well known companies in the domain world.

Other investors -

Garry Chernoff - He might not get as much attention as some others, but he is absolute legend in the field. One of the true pioneers.

Nat Cohen (@Nat Cohen) - Another legendary investor. A strong defender of registrant rights.

Luc Biggs (@Federer) - We started around the same time. One of the most successful investors who has built a business based on consistent sales over the years.

News / Industry -

Raymond Hackney (@equity78) - One of the best and most consistent writers in the field.

Bob Hawkes (@Bob Hawkes) - Another top tier writer. The articles he has written can be useful for anyone from noobs to seasoned investors.

Ron Jackson (@Ron Jackson) - For running DNJournal.com for almost 20 years.

Andrew Alleman (@DomainNameWire) - One of the original domain blogs.

Michael Cyger (@Michael Cyger) - He has made a lot of contributions to the field, specifically on the education side.

NamePros members -

@RJ - For founding NamePros

(retired members)

These are two of the the members who contributed the most over the years. Maybe one day they will come back.

@Kate
@JB Lions

I also want to thank everyone else who has posted in this thread.

(Side note. This post took way longer than I expected.)

Brad
Thanks Brad, much appreciated!

•••
Thanks for your generous sharing, Brad. Here's my question.

Mike Mann has been able to regularly sell apparently plain domains for 5 figures while neither dotDB nor Google search indicates great potential. Of course, it only takes one very keen buyer to pay for such prices. What's your experience in such "shoot for the moon" pricing approach?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back