Dynadot

I'm Brad Mugford, owner of DataCube.com. AMA

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I registered my first domain in the late 1990's, but have been an active domain investor for 15+ years now.

I am going to call this an Ask Me (Almost) Anything.
There might be some questions I am unwilling or unable to answer.

I would prefer to keep the questions related to domain investment, or business in general.

Feel free to ask general questions, or specific questions for instance regarding an appraisal of your domain.

About:
Twitter - https://twitter.com/datacubecom (I have not really used Twitter much, but plan to start using it more.)
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/in/bradmugford/

I am not sure how long I am going to leave this thread open. Let's see how it goes.

Brad

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In terms of steady sales, which is superior; .org or .net?
I sell both, but .ORG has a higher return for me.

From my experience many end users consider it a first choice, where .NET is often a second choice.

However, there are also some terms that fit .NET better than .ORG.

Many commercial products and services are a bad fit in .ORG.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

Hi

bmugford, FIrst of all thanks for always replying to my questions.​

Today i came with some questions which i kept coming from many days in my mind:
* How you make a balance between online activities and practical life responsibilities.
* I have heard no of times in this form that when you buy domain go with your 'Gut Feelings'. What is this according to you and are you using it in decision making for buying domains.
* I people is getting no domain sale what you will suggest in this situation.

•••
* How you make a balance between online activities and practical life responsibilities.
I dedicated a lot of time in the past but it is not quite as demanding today.

I probably only spend a few hours a day on actual domain "work".

I generally just focus on the buy side and scan lists and look for other opportunities.

When it comes to sales, I am relatively passive. I just deal with offers as they come in.

* I have heard no of times in this form that when you buy domain go with your 'Gut Feelings'. What is this according to you and are you using it in decision making for buying domains.
This is something you learn over time with experience.

Almost everyone knows what a great domain is and what a terrible domain is. The difference is finding quality ones in between, that are likely to get interest.

This could be based on the length, format, brand, field, comp sales, and many other factors.

Also, sometimes gut feelings are wrong. :ROFL:

* I people is getting no domain sale what you will suggest in this situation.
Tough question.

You could have quality domains and no sales, because of lack of quantity.

You could have quantity of domains and no sales, because of lack of quality.

It is hard to even get to a proof of concept without both.

I generally care more about inquiries and offers than sales. If you get those, sales will happen.

If you have a sufficient quantity of domains, and are getting no interest, it might be time to re-evaluate your portfolio.

Brad

•••
Hi Brad,

This may sound weird but it's an honest query. Has someone ever foul-mouthed you, claiming you to be a domain squatter or greedy, a narcissist (related to domains) etc. ? because you are hoarding on a domain & won't accept low ball offer?

(I'm just trying to get your view/opinion - as I've faced the same :D)
(For others, no, I'm in no way implying that he is any of those - just a dead honest query)

Last edited:
•••
Hi Brad,

This may sound weird but it's an honest query. Has someone ever foul-mouthed you, claiming you to be a domain squatter or greedy, a narcissist (related to domains) etc. ? because you are hoarding on a domain & won't accept low ball offer?

(I'm just trying to get your view/opinion - as I've faced the same :D)
(For others, no, I'm in no way implying that he is any of those - just a dead honest query)
Sure, many times. I think it just goes with the territory.

If you are in the field for long enough, sooner or later you are going to run into someone with a bad attitude and an overwhelming sense of entitlement.

Brad

•••
Sure, many times. I think it just goes with the territory.

If you are in the field for long enough, sooner or later you are going to run into someone with a bad attitude and an overwhelming sense of entitlement.

Brad

I've dealt with strangers or people who aren't of much importance to me. It made a hole in my belief wall when one of my cousin accused me of the same as I wasn't letting go of a domain without getting something in return (money or equity in the venture).

•••
I've dealt with strangers or people who aren't of much importance to me. It made a hole in my belief wall when one of my cousin accused me of the same as I wasn't letting go of a domain without getting something in return (money or equity in the venture).
A lot of people don't really understand domains, especially when it comes to the investment side.

In the domain field you need a very high ROI to cover for low a sell-through rate.

The term "squatter" is thrown around way too often without an understanding of what it actually means in the field.

I would just stick to your convictions. Do you think what you are doing is wrong?

Brad

•••
A lot of people don't really understand domains, especially when it comes to the investment side.

In the domain field you need a very high ROI to cover for low a sell-through rate.

The term "squatter" is thrown around way too often without an understanding of what it actually means in the field.

I would just stick to your convictions. Do you think what you are doing is wrong?

Brad

As a 3rd party - some may feel that way if I'm not open to negotiations. I did extend my hand to ask for equity instead of money, as I was sure I wouldn't get a single penny from the cousin :D since its a startup in the idea validation stage.

So, no, I don't think what I am doing is wrong but it's just annoying to be labelled something which you aren't.

•••
As a 3rd party - some may feel that way if I'm not open to negotiations. I did extend my hand to ask for equity instead of money, as I was sure I wouldn't get a single penny from the cousin :D since its a startup in the idea validation stage.

So, no, I don't think what I am doing is wrong but it's just annoying to be labelled something which you aren't.
Well, you made the investment. You can ask whatever you want.

It can be tricky to deal with friends and family members when it comes to business.

Brad

•••
Hi

bmugford

first of all for always replying on my questions. I again come up with questions which i like to answer from you.

* Can you believe in God or on God will because i have believe on him because i am Muslim. In my opinion all the things whether good or bad happening to us because of him and we as a human have only limited power. Do you believe on God and on his power or do you think all the achievement that you get in domain investment only because of your will power and hard work.

* What is good domain according to you like it has clean archieve history, less no of drops, no of end users etc and anything else you add to determine value of domain.

•••
Hi

bmugford

first of all for always replying on my questions. I again come up with questions which i like to answer from you.

* Can you believe in God or on God will because i have believe on him because i am Muslim. In my opinion all the things whether good or bad happening to us because of him and we as a human have only limited power. Do you believe on God and on his power or do you think all the achievement that you get in domain investment only because of your will power and hard work.
I don't really want to get too deep into religious beliefs, but I will say I think people have a major role in their own destiny.

Sure, not everyone has the same opportunities and resources.

I think hard work is a part of the formula, but it takes more than just that. You also need a strong plan.

There are many other factors as well. Some you can control and some you can't control.

* What is good domain according to you like it has clean archieve history, less no of drops, no of end users etc and anything else you add to determine value of domain.
I don't really care about factors like the number of drops.

My definition of a "good" domain is something that I think can sell to an end user over time.

This generally relates to the pool of potential buyers. If you have a domain where there is no obvious end user, or only (1) end user, the potential is limited.

If there are many potential buyers, there is a greater chance of making a sale.

At this point I really only buy domains that I plan to keep long term.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Hi: how do you deal with WayBackMachine for old domains? How many years are ok to check to avoid buying spamming or any other bad activity domain? Regards :)

•••
Hello bmugford,
I have read many of your answers to many questions and I have been able to pick one or two things but my questions are:

* What can you advice a newbie in domain business to do in order to have great portfolio and sales.

* What type of niche is it advisable for a newbie to start with.
* How should a newbie get his portfolio and what are the standard to be considered in choosing a good domain to buy as an investor.
Thanks in anticipation.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back