Dynadot

tips If you're with Dynadot, Whois stats might help determining which domains are more valuable / likely to get sold.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
You can use Dynadot's Whois stats to see if your domain has good momentum.

(note - this should theoretically work at Epik too, but all my stats there show 0 Whois calls, whatever might be the reason. So I stick with Dynadot which I like more anyway.)

In general, if you are above say 30 whois calls per month, you have might a good one there. Excellent domains might fetch even more. I'd suggest to use last 30 days for this test, but you can also look at the other time periods.

However there is no precise rule as to, so this might be used better as a hint before renewal, to determine what you're going to keep or not by using this factor as well.

Here's an example for an average domain with value of just above ~1k, approaching expiry:

Untitled.png

One thing to watch here is to have more than 1 hit per day, during the days that are shown. The above domain is worth a look, although more valuable names might get many more.

Here's the graph for a second domain:

Untitled2.png

The problem here is quite visible. While you do have 19 whois calls per month, problem is there is no variation. Chances are there is one bot that makes one whois call periodically to monitor the domain and there is little to no real life user requesting them; it is too flat for that. So this domain might be destined to be dropped.

Please also note that, whatever the reason, whois calls tend to be higher in numbers before expiry. At least with my account. I presume that there are certain users who have been watching the domain and as time for expiry approaches, they might use whois to see if domain goes past expiry, in redemption etc. So keep this in mind too when comparing one domain with another in your portfolio.

Hope this little tip helps. Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Where is this located at Dynadot ? I mean, can I sort them to see which is most traffic or do I have to look at each name individually. I got a few thousand at Dynadot and this would be too much work if one at a time.

Last edited:
•••
Just click on the domain, then in the middle of the page click on Whois tab there. (Edit: then select timeframe from the right hand selector)

Note: I could swear many of us don't know this as I have missed it too for quite a while.

Untitled3.png

Last edited:
•••
I got a few thousand at Dynadot and this would be too much work if one at a time.

I've already requested through my Dynadot rep: Whois count to be added in domain export feature so you can analyze the set easier if you have thousands. Just having the number for last 30 days could mean a big difference I think

I'm pretty sure they will add this in a bit. So far they have added almost all my suggestions within 2 months max.

•••
This feature has existed with Epik for a long time. There you can filter across WhoIs views (large to small number), see numbers right away for the whole list, and actually check IPs (some of them are not even bots!).
However I must tell you that I found zero correlation between WhoIs lookups and actual sales (even after trying separate bots from ''real''' ones to a certain degree)... I've sold domains of 8 months old with zero WhoIs for XXXX, yet some names with thousands of lookups and mid XXX price tags are still hanging in there on my list with little to zero offers...

•••
This feature has existed with Epik for a long time. There you can filter across WhoIs views (large to small number), see numbers right away for the whole list, and actually check IPs (some of them are not even bots!).
However I must tell you that I found zero correlation between WhoIs lookups and actual sales (even after trying separate bots from ''real''' ones to a certain degree)... I've sold domains of 8 months old with zero WhoIs for XXXX, yet some names with thousands of lookups and mid XXX price tags are still hanging in there on my list with little to zero offers...
On my names at Dynadot there is definitely a correlation. I guess it depends.

But sales depend on other factors too. Trends, correct price, etc. Anyway this is a hint not a guarantee.

On another note, my Epik account shows 0 whois overall.

Edit: Of course certain names might have other reasons to trigger many whois requests, reasons that I do not know. But in general I can tell whether one is in demand or not. (Edit: and Whois count tends to confirm my guess most times)

Dynadot's aftermarket and user base is a bit different in my opinion. I've had lots of wholesale sales via Dynadot's aftermarket, while none at Epik. So it is possible many of those searches come from local Dynadot users. Anyway as I have said already, I personally see a correlation there.

Last edited:
•••
a shorter route

click on arrow
> click on whois stats

whi.png

popup window

pp.png

Regards

Last edited:
•••
Is it a good stat? Looks like a bot to me.
Screenshot_20220702_111924.jpg

Last edited:
•••
•••
Historically everyone gets more views the month or two before and the month of a renewal.

Not much of a gage if you are looking for end user sales but the fact that other domainers want a name might be enough for some to keep it.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Historically everyone gets more views the month or two before and the month of a renewal.

Not much of a gage if you are looking for end user sales but the fact that other domainers want a name might be enough for some to keep it.
Exactly.

I find it useful in selecting which domains I might renew from larger tiers, such as hand regs. Otherwise, yes it's limited.

I have quite an amount of those, overall they have been profitable but I want to trim 95% of the fat and keep just some of the best ones. It helps with that, as an additional confirmation if you want. At least I will be able to flip them before next renewal as the interest shows.

End users, that's a different story. A certain domain might have no whois at all but be ideal for a specific buyer that ends up buying it. I agree on that.

I also have some cases where there are domains that have been say preferred by SH but I have my doubt in renewing them. In most cases the whois confirms what I think. Perhaps it also helps as I use most frequent niches that other domainers might also use so I do find correlation.

It's a limited thing of course, and might not work for everyone depending on portfolio.

Last edited:
•••
While trying to get a monthly view I noticed this,
what does it mean cuz I tried to compare it with daily view I noticed it's more of a view daily

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220704-134322.jpg
    Screenshot_20220704-134322.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 71
•••
Back