IT.COM

discuss If your name is bad, will advertisement help?

NameSilo
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
We were discussing the name PayTM which is one of the best and biggest payment startup in India with a valuation of over $10 billion, funded by Softbank and Berkshire Hathaway among others.

We were having a debate in this thread whether the name with a TM at the end sounds a bit odd, if not off! There were varied views among different members. Some thought it was

Pay Through Mobile
Some thought it rhymed with ATM
Some thought it was Pay Through Mobile

https://www.namepros.com/threads/paytm-how-does-the-name-sound.1178892/

The thing is, they ran an advertisement which sounds pretty amazing. The jingle stuck with everyone in India.

Have a look at the last 4 seconds of the advertisement.

Now the question is, do you think having a bad name but a good marketing team to convert it into something viral and make it stick is a way out for companies? Share your thoughts.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The name PayTM is not bad but not attractive to me, it does not stick in the mind and I will probably forget it after closing this page.

Yes advertising can market a mediocre brand name and make it appealing to the public if it was done right.

•••
Even brand name doesn't seems good when we spell.. sometimes marketing will make our brand reach to people. For example, paytm in India has taken their brand through the jingle "PayTm karo.." which registered in the minds of people. Like that there are many brands registered their brand in the sub conscious minds of people through advertising and marketing jingles

One more example in India is " Vicks ki goli lo kich kich dur karo.."

https://graciamarcom.com/es/2018/01/27/50-best-indian-brand-slogans/

https://www.sportsfeelgoodstories.com/popular-slogans-and-famous-ad-jingles/

If you ask me for jingle for Epik in India, I would say Pick karo to Epik karo".. :)

Last edited:
•••
PayTM is actually easy to remember to a native English speaker. On paper it does not look great, but pronounce it... and it makes sense. I dig it.

•••
Now the question is, do you think having a bad name but a good marketing team to convert it into something viral and make it stick is a way out for companies? Share your thoughts.

Good marketing can overcome a lot...but it costs huge amounts of money. There is a relatively new mattress company out there that has spent/is spending millions of dollars on print, tv and radio ads...the name of the company/product is beyond ridiculous. They could have spent about 35,000 for a 3L or about 12,000 for an EMD name that perfectly describes their 'niche'. Just to clarify, I am not talking about purple...that was one of the best marketing moves for the dollar...do a search for mattresses and you will eventually spot the one I am talking about. :xf.smile:

•••
Good marketing can overcome a lot...but it costs huge amounts of money. There is a relatively new mattress company out there that has spent/is spending millions of dollars on print, tv and radio ads...the name of the company/product is beyond ridiculous. They could have spent about 35,000 for a 3L or about 12,000 for an EMD name that perfectly describes their 'niche'. Just to clarify, I am not talking about purple...that was one of the best marketing moves for the dollar...do a search for mattresses and you will eventually spot the one I am talking about. :xf.smile:

Purple : )) My 2nd favorite commercial after Dollar Shave Club. thats how you market,folks. Company sold for $1B despite terrible domain!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Look at keyword and domains sold and realise a lot of domain precedence pricing was created because people didn't know what to pay for things. So if buy a domain you just got to hope you don't have to wait 10 till next person thinks up same idea that is prepared to pay end user price. People here sell domains with outbound and will try it on anything.

•••
Bad name or a name that's just not big on intrinsic value?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back