Dynadot

If you have to reveal one secret of your domaining success, what would be?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain Monk

Mindful DomainingTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
An affiliate marketer that I respect always had this quote on his tagline:
"The secret to success is constancy of purpose." -Disraeli

Not a secret, just a nice, daily reminder.

•••
•••
•••
Do not get marry.
To your domains?

I think as long as the vows are along the lines of "till right buyer due us part" it should be fine..

•••
Just to re-cap so far we've had start with .com, go short, choose the profitable niche, invest in quality names, wait for the right buyer, shun sectors that don't spend big, investigate past sales, develop websites, operate under the radar, don't reveal your secrets, learn quantum algebra, be lucky, treat domaining as a hobby, act small time, ask for advice, go against advice, help humanity, preserve wealth, have a purpose, don't get married, embrace the non physical, invoke mysticism and trust in god.

•••
Just to re-cap so far we've had start with .com, go short, choose the profitable niche, invest in quality names, wait for the right buyer, shun sectors that don't spend big, investigate past sales, develop websites, operate under the radar, don't reveal your secrets, learn quantum algebra, be lucky, treat domaining as a hobby, act small time, ask for advice, go against advice, help humanity, preserve wealth, have a purpose, don't get married, embrace the non physical, invoke mysticism and trust in god.
And don't believe the hype (see previous posts)

•••
Trying to get as basic as possible - while not sounding over simplistic...well see.

IMO, to start you have to make a decision are you going to compete in the 10K plus space or are you going to compete in the (huge generalization here, sorry) "Brandables" market.

There is more to it than that - but for the sake of a beginner - going as basic as possible

If you are going to compete in the 10K+ market - outside of incredible luck - you are not getting names, quickly or for a bargain. You are buying valuable property and reselling it for a % 5, 10, 50? You have to have a game plan on your profit margin and work closely to manage the cost of acquisition & sales. &&& you need to have some cash on hand - most domainers cant survive on a really good name or 2, you need to build a portfolio + traffic + etc..

With brandables the opportunity to make make $ and prob a higher ROI (per name not total $ value) & build up a portfolio of $1200 - 8K-ish (retail sale value) names at a relatively low cost.

IMO lower barrier to entry + risk in this route. We all waste, lose, make poor buys in the beginning. Lower BY ALOT potential losses in the early days in this space.. AND it feels very good when you sell a GD close out name for $2K .

Not that the brandable market (I mean <10K) is any easier to learn , it's the potential losses during the learning curve are far more manageable & allows you to learn the market, put some wins under your belt, & build your Branding skills.

+1 you have to try and forget what you like, individually, & understand what potential customers are looking for. That is what I still have the hardest time with, still today. It is a hard pill to swallow. early on, but more personal opinion choices will end up in drops than business choices.

GL all

Last edited:
•••
My secret is to set a return expectation for every domain name acquisition. The return figure is never below £ 500 -:- levels out around $ 700. My current spend ceiling is £ 50 for each name. Connected to that next to every one of my 50 chosen names is a simple monetisation plan including sell, develop or develop and sell. From the start of each day I work my way down the asset list with actions and notes until at the end of the day something has been done on every single project. Later on this year I will start to spend more on acquisitions (£ 100 - £ 250) and try to break into £ 1000 plus sales. Trust in कर्म.

Last edited:
•••
Okay, this used to be a secret, but I can share this advice today on this private forum.

A Dutch proverb says: "Spun a thread every day, a shirt sleeve is won every year."

Meaning: A lot can be achieved by working steadily.

Work hard. Spend your time wisely. Read only the best threads on this forum. Follow global news and important publications on a daily basis through RSS. Learn some technical skills on the basic workings of DNS. Browse ICANN Wiki. Learn about the history of the WWW and the Internet. Learn about (domain) pricing, (domain) marketing, human behavior, negotiating. Try to step out of your filter bubble sometimes.

This may seem quite overwhelming at first, but after a while you'll notice that you will better understand how the world is functioning, and which domains the world needs (like NFT domains...) Be sure to create a balanced portfolio with such needed domains. Don't focus on one niche only. Try to follow good advice from other members on this forum.

Last edited:
•••
Share the secret :)

1. A healthy network of authentic connections.
  2. Bonding (any bond is built on trust and trust is asset).
  3. If you're getting all the referrals/recommendations you need, you don't need to pitch/sell or use landing pages.
  4. Always ask questions instead of talking about the …. the whole time.
  5. If they care about your business culture, you know, long-term relationship is possible.
  6. All you need is courage and knowledge.
  7. Disappointment is the moment. Let it go: but & maybe, yesterday & later.
  8. Ego is your friend. A mismanaged ego can lead to a laziness and lacks of knowledge/skills. Train your dragon.
  9. Accept, most of your domain names are ready to be dropped, anytime.
  10. Besides Domains, most of us look at a lot of things and we’re into many businesses. (multiple income streams). You?
Regards

Last edited:
•••
Goes to show you'll need to find your own path.

•••
My secret of success is a book that i have read many years ago, it was named Kamasutra Nagasaki.
Unfortunatelly I hold the only available original and can't share it.

•••
•••
I hate all the social media and closed-source devices and apps etc. , and I might be missing a lot. This might be secret of my failure (I mean, not being more successful compared to time spent on this). I could be 10x more successful if I used all the evil social media etc (for outbounding).

Last edited:
•••
•••
Don't quit your day job. A lot easier to maximize value (sale price) when you don't want or need to sell.

Forge your own path. There a million ways to make money in domaining, so its best to stick to a particular strategy, like a certain type of name (short .coms, longtail + outbound, .io, etc)

Patience and consistency have already been mentioned. This is a slow moving business but if you do a little bit each day over time I think you'll get results.

•••
@barman I agree with the second and third chunks of your post. Actually quitting my day job was exactly the motivation needed to take domain monetisation seriously. It's not necessarily been a smooth ride but taking it more seriously than a side show provided the relative kick up the ass to start earning. One caveat is that I had 10 grand in the bank when I quit my day job.

Last edited:
•••
Hi

i got no secrets...
nothing to hide, nothing to confess
whatever i get,
is because i was blessed
when it comes to ethics and morality
i pass the test
when it comes to doing the right thing
i try, to do my best

still, i walk my own path
even though the bricks were laid before me
choosing what i choose
rather than choices being made for me
feeding myself, rather than being fed
leading myself, rather than being led

i got no secrets...
nothing to hide and nothing to confess.
and it's because i was blessed, if i have any success.

dwjr. drops the mic and walks off stage

imo....

•••
@biggie "drops the mic and walks off stage" I love it.

•••
•••
Thats your secret kingof.weed
Com is not top. I still remember you preaching .top at a blog and they laughed you right out of there. Secret, read and learn. See what sells, but see what people buy. And i dont mean the hand reg thread

•••
What's top varies by region. I think we can all agree on that.

•••
So @Future Sensors in this post gave exactly what was on my mind when I was going to answer :xf.grin:, but now that the Standard Model of physics is off the table, here is my other thought...

Thinking as much as possible like a potential end user is the most important thing. That impacts what names to acquire, where to list them, how to present them, how to price and payment options, and what names to keep.

Thanks for great and valuable thread, @Domain Monk !

Bob

Last edited:
•••
@Bob Hawkes Do have a blog that I can subscribe to mate?

Last edited:
•••
@Bob Hawkes Do have a blog that I can subscribe to mate?
By far the majority of writing is here on NamePros Blog, where I do one a week.
If you click on this link to the NamePros Blog, and then just above the posts on the top right there is a setting where you can watch the thread. If you select that, with email notification if you wish, you will get an alert each time that there is a new post.

I also post from time to time at NameTalent. I don't think I am supposed to put the link though.

Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back