If Nissan is doing good without Nissan.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NameLlama

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
Then does anyone really need the exact domain

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
When i go to nissan.com for nissan prices and shoked site is very poor

•••
@poweredbyme What you're saying seems completely confused. One minute you're saying that brands aren't important in life and then you're saying that you need to promote your brand.

Please can you show me some examples of brands that have a killer EMD .com and use it as their main domain, but then brand themselves as something different and redirect their brand name .COM to an EMD.

Last edited:
•••
Uzi Nissan is a legend and needs to be backed as he was first with the intellectual property and really is rightful owner. Fighting this would be both a financial and mental burden.

•••
@poweredbyme What you're saying seems completely confused. One minute you're saying that brands aren't important in life and then you're saying that you need to promote your brand.

You need to promote brand. But website must do it. Website is like a TV channel. Do you start a TV channel named nissan or do you advertise nissan on TV channels? I say you should start a TV channel named "Car TV" not "Nissan TV". People who are interested in cars would watch Car TV more and would memorize its name easier.

Brands need to be promoted, advertised because brands have no use in life. You don't need to promote dictionary words. and in extreme cases, the products you invented.. If you can invent something like telephone, you can name it as telephone as its brand and it can be a dictionary word that doesn't need advertisement.

Please can you show me some examples of brands that have a killer EMD .com and use it as their main domain, but then brand themselves as something different and redirect their brand name .COM to an EMD.

No I can't. I don't know any. But it doesn't mean companies do the correct way. This is what I try to say. Companies pay for ads to promote brands on TV and hope customers find their website on the internet. How can people find a website if it's domain brand dot com? They must first know the brand. Then why should people visit that website and what will happen to the other people who never heard the brand or forgot?

This is like phone numbers. Assume I want everyone calling me to buy my cars. But I have to teach everyone my phone number. So I start to advertise my phone number on TV. If my phone number was 1 digit it would be easier and I wouldn't need to advertise it much, my ad pitch would be something like this: "Your dream car is waiting for you, call 5 to get one for $$$"
Everyone knows the numbers from 0 to 9. Those are like dictionary words, everyone knows and memorize.
Now let's turn this into dictionary words: "Your dream car is waiting for you, visit car dot com to get one for $$$" If you use nissan dot com here it would be similar to memorizing 10 digit phone number. Also this problem is not limited to memorizing. If the brand is new, brand dot com has very little chance to be found. Brand dot com may work reasonably only for 20+ years old brands. The confusion comes from this point. When we say brands, we usually mean 20+ years old brands. Those brands are older than internet, get and got the most from internet.

Last edited:
•••
If you say that cars.com is a great domain, I agree.

If you say that cars.com is a great name to find a specific brand of car from a manufacturer because it is memorable, I disagree.

If you say that cars.com is a great brand name for a car sales platform for many brands of car, I agree.

If you say that people, nowadays, will type "cars.com" into the address bar without prior knowledge of its existence when they want a car, I disagree.

They type what they're looking for into Google at which point they find websites that are brands in themselves and judge and memorise said brands based on how useful they are.

Last edited:
•••
If you say that cars.com is a great domain, I agree.

I say it for car.com but cars.com is also great.

If you say that cars.com is a great name to find a specific brand of car from a manufacturer because it is memorable, I disagree.

Yes I say it and tried to explain my reasoning. Your reasoning is simple: this is how the World works, lack of examples about the opposite.

If you say that cars.com is a great brand name for a car sales platform for many brands of car, I agree.

I didn't mean it. Any dictionary word.com can be developed as a comparison or coupon website or as a discussion board about brands. It's correct. But these can be done with a brand.com too. The only difference would be 1 brand vs multiple brands, comparisons would be made about models of 1 brands or multiple brands. For instance, there are webhosting forums, hosting companies that compare their hosting packages, there are hosting coupon sites. Hosting dot com would perform all of these functions better than a hostingbrand dot com.

If you say that people, nowadays, will type "cars.com" into the address bar without prior knowledge of its existence when they want a car, I disagree.

Type-in traffic of car.com or cars.com without prior knowledge of its existence would be higher than nissan.com without prior knowledge of existence of nissan.com. Because the word of "car" is more popular than nissan. If someone wants to type something on the address bar to find a car related website, it would be car or cars dot com, not nissan dot com, audi dot com, etc.

They type what they're looking for into Google at which point they find websites that are brands in themselves and judge and memorise said brands based on how useful they are.

That's not false statement. I try to show that's the way how branding is shaped by companies and that's not efficient, especially for the new brands which rely on online sales. Promoting brands on TV or offline ad channels would be more acceptable for new car brands as a car sale process is mostly offline. But for a new shoe brand, book/music store or a computer/hotel/watch, etc brand, or if your product can be sold on internet, EMD dot com would perform much better than brand dot com. Probably there are hundreds maybe thousands of brands in each of those industries but there are only a few EMD domains. If you are a new brand, nobody knows existence of your brand. If you aren't 20+ years old brand, people can't search your brand on google, can't type your brand dot com. EMD would work better for them.

•••
I remembered and will you 2 examples without revealing private details. These are 2 small companies I worked for.

One company is selling physical products, the other company is selling tickets. Both products can be sold online, both company was younger than 3-4 years when I first met, had similar capital size, less than a million $. One has EMD domain and the other has brand dot com. When I met their owners they had their own domain names and websites. I worked on the website of EMD domain. Brand dot com website was already down for unpaid hosting invoice. So you can guess how the owner neglected the brand dot com website. I suggested the owner to buy an EMD domain redirect the brand.com to it. He said they paid too much money for their brand and website, can not do it. I told them with this brand dot com, they can not raise their online sales. I made their website online again but the site does not receive traffic despite of the ads. He told me they started with dreams on selling online but they hired 20 persons and paid high rents on good location of a big city and are happy with offline sales. But they disappointed with online sales and they focused on offline sales from their offices. As the to EMD domain, the owner sold the company together with website for profit. I worked for that website and company. Selling was a bad choice for them even if it was profitable.

•••
I told them with this brand dot com, they can not raise their online sales. I made their website online again but the site does not receive traffic despite of the ads.
It all depends on what the domain is and what you're selling. If you have a bad brand name and a service that nobody wants and you're in a crowded market then this can easily happen. An EMD isn't always the holy grail, though in some cases it can be... But it still takes good execution and a popular product or service.

There's no use having an EMD where it's for a product or service that nobody wants.

I could have sausages.com and sell no sausages... Due to a bad website, my sausages not being available in the territories of my visitors and the fact that nobody's buying sausages online.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back