IT.COM

If I'm worried a domain offered may have been hacked, is there any way I can verify?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sam1234

Top Member
Impact
If a seller wants BTC only and is new, is there anything I can do to verify domain ownership?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If a seller wants BTC only and is new, is there anything I can do to verify domain ownership?
In such a case, you may want to consider using an escrow service, such as Escrow.com. There sometimes have been issues about the verification with them, but they do provide a measure of protection.

•••
It's a red flag for sure. I would not send any crypto to a new user without an escrow.

•••
It's a red flag for sure. I would not send any crypto to a new user without an escrow.
My concern is more that the previous owner will file a police report or something like that, and I will be forced to give up the domain

•••
My concern is more that the previous owner will file a police report or something like that, and I will be forced to give up the domain

Many times the owner doesn't even have to do that. Registrars have been known to snatch domains that were stolen even when due to negligence on the account holders part (falling victim to phishing scams.)

It's not really worth the trouble imo.

Better to invest into clean and clear domains.

•••
And it probably woudn't hurt to mention your concern to the escrow company in advance, so they can perhaps give the ownership a closer look before the transaction goes through.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back