Dynadot

question If I own the .com and someone owns the .co.uk ...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Have just purchased a .com domain and only afterwards did I realize that a small business has the exact name in .co.uk ... They seem to be an established small business for almost a decade in the UK.

My domain is two dictionary words, so there shouldn't be any trademark issues. My question is: How should I approach trying to sell this domain? Should I just email them enquiring if they want to purchase my domain?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Make offer landing page wait some years then maybe approach ...

I have done some outreach like this but it's almost never worth it. However there are ways to make a business aware that a certain domain may be for sale without actually saying it :zippermouth:

•••
Have just purchased a .com domain and only afterwards did I realize that a small business has the exact name in .co.uk ... They seem to be an established small business for almost a decade in the UK.

My domain is two dictionary words, so there shouldn't be any trademark issues. My question is: How should I approach trying to sell this domain? Should I just email them enquiring if they want to purchase my domain?
Who told you that if it's two dictionary words it can't be trademarked? There are TM for 5-6 dictionary words. Also, usually there are a few that will pay low xxx for brand protection, a few that will pay xxxx if they have strong international presence and there are a few that are not interested. So, without knowing the name, I would say that the best you can do is xxx for brand protection.

PS: I've sold 4 .com's to co.uk owners in the last year, all hand reg's and sold for xxx, brand protection, even if one of them had offices in 7 other countries and could have paid more, they didn't wanted.

Last edited:
•••
A lot of businesses don't care for the .com in the UK. An outbound email is worth a shot as long as it's short and to the point.

•••
Would send them a short email asking if they are interested in buying the domain. Be reasonable with the price, and its possible you might have a shot.

•••
Setup catchall email for this domain and wait for the emails to the .co.uk to come in. Then contact them that you are getting their emails. :)

•••
I wouldn't do that. Scare tactics can backfire.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back