IT.COM

discuss If domainers raise their prices across the board will it be a boost for the industry?

NameSilo
Watch

artstar

Top Member
Impact
Ok so what if domainers raised their prices across the board for any domain in any tld, will it boost domain values for us all?

My thought is if we all ask for more it will create more value for domains. Domainers are the ones in control of values imo.

Many will say its the buyer who values a domain but if the domain owners raise their prices all around for any domain the buyers will have no choice but to pay that higher price or negotiate at a hogher price

companies that supply inventory of any type dictate the value of that product they offer and the buyer abides by that price in most cases.

am i wrong?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great idea in theory. Sadly, we have many buyers and sellers here on np, as well as many other 'cheap' deal venues .... Wanting to buy and sell domains for the cheapest possible price. And they are making deals for unbelievably low prices.

Good Domain Sales will not be found in these cheap venues.

Outbound to get your high price sales.

•••
Great idea in theory. Sadly, we have many buyers and sellers here on np, as well as many other 'cheap' deal venues .... Wanting to buy and sell domains for the cheapest possible price. And they are making deals for unbelievably low prices.

Good Domain Sales will not be found in these cheap venues.

Outbound to get your high price sales.
yes too many people willing to cheap out. some profit is good profit the mantra of the day. a few years ago domains had been selling for alot more i think overall. too many domainers in it today willing to give it away just to make a sale and its screwing up the market bigtime even tho voice went for $30mill the majority of domains r way way undervalued due to idiotic domainers giving them away and hurting the industry imo

•••
Funny idea, maybe restaurants try same thing? Illegal?

•••
•••
If you want the dot com to rise in value, just don't reg the dot whatever domains.
Just focus on the dot com.

Easy peasy

•••
If you want the dot com to rise in value, just don't reg the dot whatever domains.

Easy peasy
so then forego all the other extensions? not a sound idea really is it??

•••
supply and demand - simple

and recently ive seen a huge drive to buy 'almost anything . com'

•••

Easy peasy
What I meant is if everyone just reg dot com and ignore the dot whatever, the value of dot com will rise.

•••
supply and demand - simple

and recently ive seen a huge drive to buy 'almost anything . com'
really>

and for the lowest price possible set by the daft domainers who give them away. no wonder their is a boost in sales as u say, which is not correct imo anyhow, its bargain basement price time and its not as profitable as it once was for regular domainers and dont lump in rs fs mm etc as they NOT atypical domainers. doh

•••
It is an interesting proposal to try to coordinate a price rise, but of course in such a diverse 'industry' would not be feasible, in my opinion.

Even if it was done, I am not at all convinced it would have the desired effect. I think most likely higher prices would push even more of those currently buying at the $$$ to $$$$ range to go the hand reg route, or possibly not a domain at all but instead use a social media site or service such as Wix, and the aftermarket might become less profitable despite the price increase.

I think there is some possibility it could work and be implentable for desired single word com, although at some price level buyer resistance would step in.

Just my 5 am opinion, which I might change upon more thought! :xf.wink:

Bob

•••
It’s a nice thought but not very practical when majority of names sell $1500 and below. I think it’s a good way to go for names you intend to hold a long time. There could never be a coordinated effort because too many domainers are just trying to break even unfortunately.

•••
If domainers raise their prices across the board will it be a boost for the industry?

short answer is no

however, prices have risen over time and that's the natural way that increases become acceptable.

example
when I started domaining, bought a couple of LLL com in mid to high $$$ range and a few more @ low 4 figures
bought some LLL.org in $$ range
and was handregging 3 char .com for $6.95.
also, a that time, 4 number .com could be had for less than $100

zoom to today and you can see the differences.

still, past sales history, can keep pricing within an incremental range
as those who need to price a domain, will use that data to help them make a decision, when they don't know how to price it, without that source.

therefore, you have a system that on one hand may help you arrive at a price, but at the same time, that data can make you apprehensive about pricing too high above your "comparable".

and.... those who use lists of comparables in their advertisements, may in fact price their names lower than the category average, in an attempt to give impression that they are offering a deal.

you have to be willing to push the envelope and not be scared that a potential buyer will walk, if you ask for more than others would.

and how many domainers are willing to take that chance?

imo...

•••
The only way price-fixing works (and yes, that's what you're proposing) is in a large industry with few players. A few calls are made, a few backroom deals are signed, and bingo, prices increase and stay high, allowing massive profits for all. Of course, it could never work in the domain market simply because it's so splintered.

But it's also illegal and if you get caught, count on hefty fines at the very least.

Last edited:
•••
so then forego all the other extensions? not a sound idea really is it??
why not?

dot whatever are garbage.
all my sales are dot com and dot com is king

•••
why not?

dot whatever are garbage.
all my sales are dot com and dot com is king
well my biggest sale was a .co plus in reality you cant scrap whats already available so your idea is fantasy

•••
It is an interesting proposal to try to coordinate a price rise, but of course in such a diverse 'industry' would not be feasible, in my opinion.

Even if it was done, I am not at all convinced it would have the desired effect. I think most likely higher prices would push even more of those currently buying at the $$$ to $$$$ range to go the hand reg route, or possibly not a domain at all but instead use a social media site or service such as Wix, and the aftermarket might become less profitable despite the price increase.

I think there is some possibility it could work and be implentable for desired single word com, although at some price level buyer resistance would step in.

Just my 5 am opinion, which I might change upon more thought! :xf.wink:

Bob

so if thats the case the quality of domains will be less if they go the hand reg fee route. highly unlikely.
buyers resistance? hmm someone paid $30 million for voice so i doubt that will be the case .
Happy Look dot com sold recently for $40k, sure some buyers resistance for such a domain. not

•••
It would just make domain prices more expensive for domainers. End user sales account for a tiny fraction of domain sales. Most domains are sold between domainers.

•••
It would just make domain prices more expensive for domainers. End user sales account for a tiny fraction of domain sales. Most domains are sold between domainers.
do you have proof of that claim?

•••
Back