IT.COM

debate If a domain is 1 year or younger in age, are you less likely to buy it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Are you less likely to buy a domain if it's 1 year old only?

• 1st

No, the age of domain doesn't matter to me.

votes
    73.6%
  • 2nd

Yes, I prefer aged domains.

votes
    26.4%

Impact
It, is a known fact that aged domains rank better in google, however it seems like as many has half the domains listed on namepros (auction section especially) have been registered in the last 3 months, so not even 1 year old. What do you guys think about the value of domain age?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Your not asking for healthy debate when you make pronouncements and deem them as truth 🙄 @Daniel Owens. It comes off as trying to incite. Guess you have never heard of the brandable market where even a flipper can make a profit and age doesn’t really matter.

Thousands of people hand reg every day. Guess that guy who regged cryptogame and sold for high five figures was dumb. Guess I was dumb when I sold 3 young hand regs for mid XXXX in the last 6 months. You haven’t got a clue what you are talking about.

Hand regging in emerging and future industries can be lucrative if you register good names. Sorry you are regging names that lose you money but don’t make blanket statements about domainers as a whole.
I like pushback from people hand regging and experiencing some success. Good for you

•••
•••
•••
so you are operating at a loss, correct?
Yup, that's bcoz I am holding some 300+ CVCVC which I am not trying to sell and waiting for the market to mature more.

Anyway, My point was, if hand reg are so worthless, then where did the $7500 came from?
What percentage of domainers start making profit from the very 1st year of domaining?
Mike Mann recently went cash positive..!!

•••
Hand-regging is a really bad thing to do .

I disagree with this presumption. Check the "Report Completed Domain Name Sales" section of the forum https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-completed-domain-name-sales-here.83628/
and you will notice that about 30% of the posted sales are hand-regs. Personally, I've sold many hand-regs. Now and then, if sale price not less than $1000, I report some of my sales in the section. One of the sales I reported recently was for a hand-reg domain:

https://namepros.com/threads/report-completed-domain-name-sales-here.83628/page-614#post-6739274

That's hand-reg for you!

Last edited:
•••
I am brand new to this business and I have hand registered over 688 domain names in the last 30 days. I have had an offer for quite a few ( over 10 k ) I declined the offers. They are worth way way more. I will only continue to hand register and brand etc. My imagination has never failed me.

•••
Moral of Story: AVOID HAND-REGGING, "You, are not as good a domainer as you think." HAND-REGGING WILL LOSE YOU MONEY!
You have your VIP status for nothing. Last year I have sold 353 domains to resellers and 23 to end users, all handregged under 1 year old, with low xxxxx profit for each, resellers and end users. I'm hand ragging on a daily basis and at least once a month I have an offer just days after I bought a domain.

•••
The average domainer will find such a fact easily verified. Thanks.
I guess I am a below average domainer. Why don't you help me out and link to the fact?

•••
I wonder how a person who is unable to distinguish between a good and bad hand-reg would be able to make better investment decisions in the aftermarket. They are destined to lose way more in the aftermarket, imo. My advice to newbies as a newbie would be that if you really don't know what you are doing, please don't do it. It's an investment vs. gambling problem. Personally, I first tested if my few hand-regs were liquid at the cost price and why so before even thinking about scalability. I sold them (about 5) at a profit here on NP and regged about 15 more. Will only scale further if my next tests are successful. In other words, whether you are a newbie or a pro, hand-regging or buying in the aftermarket, you have to find ways and make things happen according to your own unique circumstances. You must know the risks beforehand, imo.

•••
•••
Watch this...
Yes I've seen this and he's pretty much saying the opposite of the "fact" that the OP is claiming. What Matt is stating (At approximately 1:35 min mark and 1:50 min mark) is that domain age does not really matter and the quality of content is what matters more!

•••
Yes I've seen this and he's pretty much saying the opposite of the "fact" that the OP is claiming. What Matt is stating (At approximately 1:35 min mark and 1:50 min mark) is that domain age does not really matter and the quality of content is what matters more!

lol, I quoted the wrong guy then ;)

•••
lol, I quoted the wrong guy then ;)
I believe a statement similar to Matt was made by a Google rep (Engineer or PM, I don't recall fully) on Twitter. Unfortunately, searching twitter is a nightmare I do not wish to endure and so I'm not going to cite that. Matt, being the (then) head of Google Search spam prevention (and other associated roles) is a very good authority and I fully trust his statements.

•••
I believe a statement similar to Matt was made by a Google rep (Engineer or PM, I don't recall fully) on Twitter. Unfortunately, searching twitter is a nightmare I do not wish to endure and so I'm not going to cite that. Matt, being the (then) head of Google Search spam prevention (and other associated roles) is a very good authority and I fully trust his statements.

I recall that as well. I used this video a lot in the past. As soon as my "seoguru" started moaning about domain age matters I'd send him this video. After 15 times or so he finally shut up about it :)

The myth probably derives from the fact that aged websites (and therefore aged domains) have more and better content (lets asume so for the argument), backlinks etc. and therefore rank higher.

•••
I'm not a seo expert but I could imagine using an aged domain could actually hurt your SEO if you're not the first owner. If someone has been using it in a crappy way it could hurt your ranking I assume if you don't clean up the mess from the past.

•••
I don't advise any new domain investor to go hand reg a bunch of crap with zero knowledge about what they are doing.

But if a newbie walks into domaining with the same attitude and knowledge and limits theirselves to the aftermarket and auctions they are going to spend a LOT more to learn their lesson.

Domaining does not have an official college or course, but we all spend for our knowledge.

Once we have this knowledge base, domainers certainly hand reg domains - and sell them for a profit.

I have sold almost as many handregs (or hand caught drops) as domains I purchased at auction.

In a way the whole domaining space is a crapshoot. It's all about quantity and quality - and having that name when someone wants it. It is about learning to diversify and identify the right names.

@Daniel Owens - It seems like you came into this very enthusiastically, and maybe paid more than you are comfortable with now on hand regs and haven't seen good results. Take this as a lesson, do more research, push through the wall you currently are hitting - and welcome to domain investing.

Last edited:
•••
I'm not a seo expert but I could imagine using an aged domain could actually hurt your SEO if you're not the first owner. If someone has been using it in a crappy way it could hurt your ranking I assume if you don't clean up the mess from the past.
Google's algorithm is looking at many things including age and how long the domain is registered for in the future - but these variables are very inconsequential compared to the variables of quality of content.

In the past the age, future exp date, and domain name had much more weight to them.

Past use of a domain can definitely hurt you - but you can repair it's reputation.

•••
IMO:

Resellers overthink, End-users don't.

For brand and niche sites, End-users only think if it's a perfect word or combo, if it sounds authoritative and if it goes with what I am going to do.

And people who are into mini-site project, look for low competitive mid-high CPC keyword domain with at least some exact searches.

Age really doesn't matter for ranking!

Let's hand-reg for upcoming trends. ;)

•••
Nothing wrong with having an idea and deciding to register the name.

A domain bought at auction is no more likely to bring profit than a recent hand reg.

I see domains I think are great and I see some real head scratchers, doesn't matter the age.

There will always be good and not so good investments.

Its much more important to understand potential holding times, registration discounts, etc.

I know you mean well, but I also know you promote hand reg discounts.

Building a quality portfolio, old or new, is much more important. Buyer's remorse happens with new domains and aftermarket domains.

The best advice is to understand that as a new domain speculator, one should be very careful.

Last edited:
•••
It, is a known fact that aged domains rank better in google

False.

Besides, ranking matters for SEO buyers, while here at this forum people play at the name field. Totally different markets.

•••
Google's algorithm is looking at many things including age and how long the domain is registered for in the future

I didn't know they also look at the future exp. date. I learned something new today. Cheers!

•••
I only care about the name, if it's aged maybe better, if not also not bad

•••
I think this is yet another case when any simple rule does not work all the time. When a name is still available for hand reg, I ask myself why. I consider the name characteristics, past sales if any of the domain name, etc. However, you must do exactly the same for a name about to drop - why is it that it has not sold, and why is it being dropped?

As others have said, if you know niches and especially if you have expertise in marketing trends, it is possible to sometimes see value where others have missed it.

No domain purchase is guaranteed to result in a return on investment, whether hand reg, drop, auction or other purchase. Only invest what you can afford to potentially lose. Be smart and informed when you do invest in any domain name.

•••
I do the same research on any domain I am considering adding to my portfolio. I've made many poor choices and some real winners, but I can truly say that I am way up in profit with my hand registered domains even with losses due to many I decided not to renew.

•••
I don't agree with the OP.

@Eric Lyon should come up with some type of system to rate members based off how many posts a member has made and how many likes that.member has received based on those posts. A member with 10,000 posts with only 500 likes would show newbies who to really listen to and who not to. For example a member with 1,000 posts and 1,000 likes would have at least a 100% positive rating. If your likes are higher than the amount of your posts then your rating would be even higher than 100% but if your likes are one tenth the amount of your posts then your rating would reflect that with an overall much lower rating. Newbies would then know who to listen.to and who is full of shit. To make the rating realistic all likes received in the break room or wherever else because someone liked a picture you posted wouldn't count toward the overall score. Only relevant likes for real posts would count toward your score rating.

It's basically a crowd rating based off your peers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back