Dynadot

debate If a domain is 1 year or younger in age, are you less likely to buy it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Are you less likely to buy a domain if it's 1 year old only?

• 1st

No, the age of domain doesn't matter to me.

votes
    73.6%
  • 2nd

Yes, I prefer aged domains.

votes
    26.4%

Impact
It, is a known fact that aged domains rank better in google, however it seems like as many has half the domains listed on namepros (auction section especially) have been registered in the last 3 months, so not even 1 year old. What do you guys think about the value of domain age?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The name itself, what keyword it has or how relevant it is, particularly in an emerging market, determines its value more than its age.

•••
I don't care about the age. If it's a good name, it's a good name. Simple as that.

Also, domain age really doesn't matter SEO wise.

•••
I don't care about the age. If it's a good name, it's a good name. Simple as that.

Also, domain age really doesn't matter SEO wise.
Hand-regging is a really bad thing to do and most of us need to limit it a lot to very few per year or stop the practice.

•••
Hand-regging is a really bad thing to do and most of us need to limit it a lot to very few per year or stop the practice.

Unless you know what you're doing. I wouldn't call myself a domainer but I keep an active portfolio for clients so I can serve up a good name when they need one.

I usually sell at least 1 handreg a month in the 1k range so wouldn't call that bad.

•••
•••
Every domain name was hand-regged at one point in time ...

•••
It's very bad and namepros members who do it are teaching the newbees how to lose money. We need threads advising against it. One or two a year at most. Then the other 50 - 100 domains you buy should be dropcatch or from some auction platform just try to get them below wholesale. Even, better get them off here and flip (although domains do sell super high on namepros there are some good deals).

•••
Every domain name was hand-regged at one point in time ...
Every good domain is taken and domains drop for a reason. If, they drop they and are worth even a little they are picket up by snapnames, dropcatch, dynadot expired auctions, etc. Registers are not morons they don't let domains be registered by hand. Chance, are if you have hand-regged a domain it was either dropped (it's a bad domain), or was never registered in the history of the internet. It is foolish to hand-reg from all we are learning, 1 to 2 domains a year is too many!

•••
Handregging shitty names in niches you know nothing about with random keywords, that's a bad thing, I agree. Everything else, as long as it's an educated pick won't do you any harm. Don't spend money you can't afford to lose though.

Buying "quality" names at auctions is no guarantee of a decent sale/profit either.

•••
Everyone who hand-regged good crypto and bitcoin domains when they were emerging are now reaping the rewards. Sure there's a bit of a gamble there, but if you do your research and can identify new trends or markets, then hand-regs can be successful.

•••
Every good domain is taken and domains drop for a reason. If, they drop they and are worth even a little they are picket up by snapnames, dropcatch, dynadot expired auctions, etc. Registers are not morons they don't let domains be registered by hand. Chance, are if you have hand-regged a domain it was either dropped (it's a bad domain), or was never registered in the history of the internet. It is foolish to hand-reg from all we are learning, 1 to 2 domains a year is too many!
You don't have a clue of what you are saying I guess

•••
Everyone who hand-regged good crypto and bitcoin domains when they were emerging are now reaping the rewards. Sure there's a bit of a gamble there, but if you do your research and can identify new trends or markets, then hand-regs can be successful.
Any good bitcoin domains was hand-regged over 10 years ago, there is a 0.0001% chance your BTC domain would sell for over $500 IF you just hand-regged it in the past 1 year. Thus, crypto domains are the same animal as any hand-regged domain this year, thus all hand-regs in 2018 are dumb investments.

•••
You don't have a clue of what you are saying I guess
It is very mean of you and others to get newbees to hand-reg domains they will clearly be lucky to get reg. fee. Unless, you are doing it because you are one of them! We, need to warn every man and woman domainer to avoid hand-regs.

•••
Moral of Story: AVOID HAND-REGGING, "You, are not as good a domainer as you think." HAND-REGGING WILL LOSE YOU MONEY!

•••
@Daniel Owens - then why did you make this thread in the first place? With a poll even!

•••
•••

That doesn't address the inherent quality of a domain name which is fundamental. What you're really against is buying crap names, which is perfectly reasonable and everybody with half a brain would agree with you. I'd even argue you should actually should endeavor in hand regs for speculation purposes, given that you spend enough time researching.

Everyone here has at some point lost money acquiring crap names until they got the hand of it. Dropcatching and auctions certainly restrict the base quality of the general pool of the domains which is safer. But to say it's pointless is not correct. While it's true that many members lose money in hand regs, some actually make a confortable income out of it. There is gold among trash, and it takes experience to discern. The beauty of domaining lies in this fact. In the realm of possibility, it's statistically true that you can reg a domain that was never registered and find a buyer who'll pay more than you did the same day. Markets and trends shift, and one's loss can be another's gain across time.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't hand reg names. That just means you have to educate yourself, learn from your mistakes and make intelligent buyer decisions.

•••
That doesn't address the inherent quality of a domain name which is fundamental. What you're really against is buying crap names, which is perfectly reasonable and everybody with half a brain would agree with you. I'd even argue you should actually should endeavor in hand regs for speculation purposes, given that you spend enough time researching.

Everyone here has at some point lost money acquiring crap names until they got the hand of it. Dropcatching and auctions certainly restrict the base quality of the general pool of the domains which is safer. But to say it's pointless is not correct. While it's true that many members lose money in hand regs, some actually make a confortable income out of it. There is gold among trash, and it takes experience to discern. The beauty of domaining lies in this fact. In the realm of possibility, it's statistically true that you can reg a domain that was never registered and find a buyer who'll pay more than you did the same day. Markets and trends shift, and one's loss can be another's gain across time.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't hand reg names. That just means you have to educate yourself, learn from your mistakes and make intelligent buyer decisions.
It is every domainer's responsibility to listen up, stop hand-regging and warn newbees to avoid doing it!

•••
Advice without reasons is just fool's talk.

•••
Advice without reasons is just fool's talk.
Reasons, are proof themselves such as the huge amount of money being lost by those hand-regging. And, the 1% that does do well with hand-regging would make 10x or more profit flipping domains that are not recent hand-regs. Do you seriously, believe it's that easy you spend $8 then within 1 hour you make $1,000,000?

•••
Reasons, are proof themselves such as the huge amount of money being lost by those hand-regging. And, the 1% that does do well with hand-regging would make 10x or more profit flipping domains that are not recent hand-regs. Do you seriously, believe it's that easy you spend $8 then within 1 hour you make $1,000,000?

I didn't address in my post what you're saying in your reply. But if you're speaking about numbers, do you believe it's that hard to buy a domain for 8$ and sell it for 20$? I have done so, and many here do so as well. That's a low margin, but profit is profit, and many domainers prefer to play the reseller game, which is about finding the goods among the bads and finding a buyer who'll pay the profit. Please, let's have an honest discussion.

•••
For me, domain age does not matter at all. Like @NameDeck said, a good name is a good name.

Regarding hand-regging, all my sales over the years, worth $XX,XXX in total, were hand-regged. However, I appreciate that it is a lot harder to find good unregistered names these days.

•••
It's can be a hobby, pipe dream, addiction (#domainhoarding). I think hand regging is pissing money into the wind on a $10 annual liability. I'll do it once in a while but it is not a serious investment. It's like a scratch card or lottery with chances that are quite a bit better and a reward/ payout substantially less.

•••
Moral of Story: AVOID HAND-REGGING, "You, are not as good a domainer as you think." HAND-REGGING WILL LOSE YOU MONEY!

I disagree. If you know what to look for and can catch onto a trend early enough. That is the key.

There are so many recent examples in recent years of people hand registering domains and selling them for big profit. Someone on this forum sold one recently for $10,000, they hand registered it towards the end of last year.

5 to 6 years ago you could hand register many crypto related domains that would now be worth 5-6 figs each.

But keep telling yourself it is dead, it means less competition for those of us who like to research trends, what is popular and so on.

Last edited:
•••
Back