IT.COM

discuss Idea: GoDaddy Expiring Domains - Take One For Free, Give One Away

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
GoDaddy Expiring Domains - Take One For Free, Give One Away - Support your fellow domainers

How-An-Expired-Domain-Can-Bring-In-Good-Traffic-To-Your-Website.jpg

Do you have any domain names sitting at GoDaddy that you will not be renewing?

Why let HugeDomains and the likes suck them up (n)

Why let GoDaddy profit on your domains (n)

GoDaddy makes money on the domains when they go to expiring auctions and we as the domainers bid against each other to get them back. Companies like Huge Domains suck them up and the whole domaining industry suffers.

If you have no use for the domain, why not eliminate the middle man and give the domain to your fellow domainer.

Maybe we can use a central topic like this where anyone can post their expiring godaddy domains and allow other members to claim them for free.

I understand we can each make a topic for this but it would be nice to have a centralized area where we could keep track of all of them.

Additionally it would be nice if a mod could put this topic into a section where everyone can update their post at any time when the domains get claimed.

Thoughts about this by anyone?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
** Deleted my opinion of GoDaddy, as being irrelevant to the topic in hand **, ** too many cusswords ** :)

HeHe...... made me laugh :xf.laugh:

•••
@MapleDots - Could you please explain why this requires a separate forum?

•••
PS: My free GoDaddy domain which I advertised in the Free Domain Names forum (see link above). Was snaffled up in just 9 minutes. How long has this thread been running?

One thing I learned about that transaction, which I would amend the next time. Would be to insist the recipient changed the domain whois info to themselves within 24hrs.

Its done automatically, you need to click "use contact details from receiving account" something like that:xf.smile:

•••
@MapleDots - Could you please explain why this requires a separate forum?

You need permanent editing rights and since it's a free giveaway it may get fairly big. Namepros handles the forum logistics and it has to be in the right section so you can have permanent editing.

•••
You need permanent editing rights and since it's a free giveaway it may get fairly big. Namepros handles the forum logistics and it has to be in the right section so you can have permanent editing.

OK. Why do you need permanent editing rights?

•••
In case you ad a dozen domains and you can update as claimed. No need to repost and you could have your own permanent post or topic.

Giveaway by stub as a title

Last edited:
•••
I think entrusting members with permanent posting rights, could be open to abuse. I think there are pros and cons of having a permanent posting page, and not using the closed system to clear away old posts. You could have 100 (or more) permanent posting pages, with nothing actually being sold. For example.

But I'm still saying the idea won't fly if the receiver has to transfer the domain away from GoDaddy.

•••
You don't have to transfer from GoDaddy, don't know why you would think that.

Let's get some more feedback on how to implement, that is the topic now. Figure out what will work as opposed to what won't.

•••
You don't have to transfer from GoDaddy, don't know why you would think that.

Let's get some more feedback on how to implement, that is the topic now. Figure out what will work as opposed to what won't.

Whats the point of the transfer code for if you are not transferring away from GoDaddy? You just push the domain directly into their GoDaddy Account?

•••
I discussed that a few posts back. That decision has not been made and I only suggested it to assure the free domain is actually renewed.

A transfer has to be renewed and a push does not. So if 2 people want the domain the guy that gets it could still drop it after the push and the other person loses out. A forced renewal would assure only people really wanting the domain would claim it.

•••
Technically I would not care who gets my domains and I would post them with transfer codes on first come first serve..

•••
I read that post. So the dropper can provide the auth code and provide that to the recipient, who can use it to transfer it to his GoDaddy Account. Is that correct? I can understand this would renew the domain at GoDadddy. If that works.

•••
Yup exactly, or you can post the domain with code to anyone that wants it. You could pick the end user or offer a first come first serve by posting the codes.

•••
Yup exactly, or you can post the domain with code to anyone that wants it. You could pick the end user or offer a first come first serve by posting the codes.

And whoever picked it up can transfer it to GoDaddy, even if it is already with GoDaddy?

I don't favor posting the auth code openly. I think you should only give the auth code to whoever wins the domain. You might have 30 people trying to use the authcode to transfer the domain. Causing mass confusion when the authcode doesn't work any more. I think this should be an orderly process. So I would be opposed to openly posting the auth code, for more than 1 person to try to use.

•••
And whoever picked it up can transfer it to GoDaddy, even if it is already with GoDaddy?

I don't favor posting the auth code openly. I think you should only give the auth code to whoever wins the domain. You might have 30 people trying to use the authcode to transfer the domain. Causing mass confusion when the authcode doesn't work any more. I think this should be an orderly process. So I would be opposed to openly posting the auth code, for more than 1 person to try to use.

Yes they can stay or be at any registrar, there is no mandate to remove from godaddy. The only thing we want is to keep the domain in domainer hands instead of falling into godaddy hands. You could post any expiring domain from any registrar.

Posting the codes would be up to each member. I personally could not be bothered asking who wins my expiries. I would simply say.... here you go whoever wants it.

You could do what you see fit, it would be up to each person to decide.

•••
•••
You know you have "made it" when TheDomains picks up your NamePros thread.

•••
Yes they can stay or be at any registrar, there is no mandate to remove from godaddy. The only thing we want is to keep the domain in domainer hands instead of falling into godaddy hands. You could post any expiring domain from any registrar.

Posting the codes would be up to each member. I personally could not be bothered asking who wins my expiries. I would simply say.... here you go whoever wants it.

You could do what you see fit, it would be up to each person to decide.

I think that sounds like you don't care about all the anguish you might be causing fellow members. We are all in this together. We should have open communications.

•••
I'm trying hard to answer your questions, how the does giving away of free domains to other members imply anguish?

You would be free to give them away as you see fit, I don't know how else to answer your questions.

Let a few more people toss in some ideas because this is a discussion and not something simply implemented by me. We will come up with a scenario that is positive for the member base.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back