IT.COM

new gtlds ICANN to release 100s of domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
It looks like hundreds of domain names matching the names of countries are to finally get released from ICANN limbo.

The ICANN board last week passed a resolution calling for the organization to clear a backlog of over 60 registry requests to start selling or using country and territory names in their gTLDs.

Some of the requests date back to 2014. They’ve all been stuck in red tape while ICANN tried to make sure members of the Governmental Advisory Committee was cool with the names being released.

The result of these three years of pondering is scrappy, but will actually allow some names to hit the market this year.

The new resolution calls for ICANN to “take all steps necessary to grant ICANN approvals for the release of country and territory names at the second-level”, but only “to the extent the relevant government has indicated its approval”.

And that’s the catch.

Read more: domainincite

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why finally?
I really don't feel any need of other nGtlds.
The actual confusion is already enough,especially after seeing .vin, it's ridiculous

•••
Why finally?
I really don't feel any need of other nGtlds.
The actual confusion is already enough,especially after seeing .vin, it's ridiculous
what is .vin?

•••
.vin is for vehicle identification number, which is atleast the standard for serializing vehicles in the US and Canada, not sure about elsewhere in the world.

•••
.vin is for vehicle identification number, which is atleast the standard for serializing vehicles in the US and Canada, not sure about elsewhere in the world.
Ah this would make more sense.. I found it was for French domains about wine. (Vin is wine in French)

•••
I'd much rather talk about wine then cars personally lol.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back