IT.COM

question ICANN has no authority in Sweden? Is this true?

NameSilo
Watch

BrandEntrance.com

Open 24/7/365Top Member
Impact
What are the powers of ICANN? The text below should say *Except in Sweden where they have no jurisdiction.

"ICANN, which stands for Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, is a non-profit organization that was established in the United States in 1998 to help maintain the security of the Internet, and allow it to be usable by all. Anytime you register a domain on the Internet, you go through a domain name registrar, who pays a small fee to ICANN to register your domain as part of the domain registration process.

While ICANN doesn’t control what content goes on the Internet, meaning it cannot regulate Internet access or help to stop spam from occurring, it does help keep the web safe by developing and enforcing policy on the Internet’s unique identifiers. These unique identifiers are the name and number that you type into the address bar when conducting a search for a given site. The address for that site has to be unique so computers know where to find each other.

By helping to coordinate these unique identifiers all over the world, ICANN allows us to have a global Internet. In doing so, ICANN also helps promote competition on the web and plays a vital role in the expansion and evolution of the Internet."

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What are the powers of ICANN? The text below should say *Except in Sweden where they have no jurisdiction.

"ICANN, which stands for Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, is a non-profit organization that was established in the United States in 1998 to help maintain the security of the Internet, and allow it to be usable by all. Anytime you register a domain on the Internet, you go through a domain name registrar, who pays a small fee to ICANN to register your domain as part of the domain registration process.

While ICANN doesn’t control what content goes on the Internet, meaning it cannot regulate Internet access or help to stop spam from occurring, it does help keep the web safe by developing and enforcing policy on the Internet’s unique identifiers. These unique identifiers are the name and number that you type into the address bar when conducting a search for a given site. The address for that site has to be unique so computers know where to find each other.

By helping to coordinate these unique identifiers all over the world, ICANN allows us to have a global Internet. In doing so, ICANN also helps promote competition on the web and plays a vital role in the expansion and evolution of the Internet."
ICANN has no authority regarding 99% of cctlds... They can make suggestions, but it's up to each country's registry, runned usually by the governments to decide the rules.

•••
•••
ICANN has no authority regarding 99% of cctlds... They can make suggestions, but it's up to each country's registry, runned usually by the governments to decide the rules.
A little update. They may have no authority and have told me so but they are helping me with advice and see that there is something not right with the data presented. This is advice I can use against the thieves and expert advice for the authorities.

The thieves have changed data at the IIS and that conflicts with my receipts, owning and running the domain name with a site for almost a year, the denial of the registrar that they ever had the domain registered and the waybackmachine capture that proves it was my site and they are lying.

Thanks ICANN.

•••
I guess what's missing here is "authority to do what?"

ICANN's "authority" is to determine the nameservers for TLD's in the consensus root server system, and to develop policies around gTLDs in that root. ICANN has the authority to determine what registry operators can run those TLD's, and what registrars can provide registration services for gTLDs in the consensus root system.

So, it's really not clear what sort of authority you have in mind. Authority to do what?

ICANN has a very small function in relation to the consensus root server system, and beyond that ICANN is merely a policy-making and accrediting organization. They cannot wave a magic wand or point a gun at anyone and make them do things.

From your further post, it seems you have a stolen domain name issue. No, ICANN has no authority to determine that a name is stolen or order it returned.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back