IT.COM

events I AM LAMBO

NameSilo
Watch

lambo.com

Top Member
Impact
Hello frens,

I AM LAMBO of LAMBO.com and I will defend, defeat and humiliate those endeavouring to steal any of my domain name brands - including my moniker.

We have stood by in meek positioning watching poor decisions, one after another, rendered typically by "SOLE PANELISTS" - albeit with exceptions and inconsistency.

Digital assets stripped from legal holders and registrants who immediately (apparently), default to defensive posturing against Reverse Domain Name Hijackers (RDNH).

The injustice propagated against domain investors, speculators and BUILDERS - will not continue as it has.

In my case, a car company called "Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A." is attempting THEFT of my asset, nomenclature and taxonomy they possess ZERO rights to.

https://www.udrpsearch.com/wipo/d2022-1570

Counter measures to humiliate such endeavours are afoot. Unlawful theft will be duly punished through legal and commensurate counter efforts including any coerced and submissive accomplices.

Humiliation is inevitable should they desire METAWAR, even as the car company, NISSAN, found out with NISSAN.com
https://web.archive.org/web/20200131113518/https://www.nissan.com/

This is enough for now, I will continue to update as necessary.

In the meanwhile, you can add me on lichess (@lamboDOTcom).

We will save our industry from the filth that seeks to dismember it's legitimacy.

Thank you for time and God Bless. May the VRIL be with you.

lambo.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Looks like Lambeth was the surname of the original registrant. Looks like the respondent's name is Richard Blair.

•••
yes but the whole point of this ruckus is that the owner of lambo.com is john lambeth not richard blair, richard blair wouldnt have a case in this only john lambeth anyway. I was only commenting from the beginning because i was thinking john lambeth, anyway.

Last edited:
•••
It appears that the respondent wanted to remain anonymous. In my opinion, this position did not strengthen his defense of the domain name. In fact, I think it would have helped if he would have provided proof of his name.

•••
who is richard blair? @lambo.com is john lambeth.

Richard Blair is the registrant of Lambo.com. That was not in dispute in the proceeding. Our friend didn't take issue with that.

From the WHOIS history, it looks like the domain name was acquired by someone other than John Lambeth in early 2018.

When I had first looked at the case, it looked relatively simple that someone named Lambeth might have such a nickname. Obviously since the name went into privacy in 2018, there was no way of knowing that it was no longer registered to John Lambeth.

That's why the panel, in talking about what kinds of evidence one needs to prove a nickname said:

Such evidence is particularly apposite when, as here, it is not readily apparent as to why the Respondent, Richard Blair, would have become known as “Lambo” and no explanation has been proffered by him.

Usually, nicknames have stories and a history behind them. While, sure, it is technically the complainant's burden to prove various things, it is usually the case that if you register a domain name which is your nickname, you might want to provide evidence that it had been your nickname before you registered the domain name, and not a nickname you invented for yourself afterwards.

Stuff like this is not helpful:

The Respondent has asserted also that he is a “Lamb of outlier generic aptitude and intelligence”. What this means, is unclear but, whatever meaning is intended by this contention, it is a statement made without any evidential support.

I'll just leave this here - usually, no one is going to find one's own opinion of one's intelligence to be very persuasive. One's general demeanor has an impact on the panel's determination of how credible a person one is.

yes but the whole point of this ruckus is that the owner of lambo.com is john lambeth not richard blair, richard blair wouldnt have a case in this only john lambeth anyway.

Well, the apparent facts seem to be that John Lambeth stopped being the registrant in early 2018, and the present registrant was identified by the registrar as Richard Blair.

•••
Richard Blair is the registrant of Lambo.com. That was not in dispute in the proceeding. Our friend didn't take issue with that.

From the WHOIS history, it looks like the domain name was acquired by someone other than John Lambeth in early 2018.

When I had first looked at the case, it looked relatively simple that someone named Lambeth might have such a nickname. Obviously since the name went into privacy in 2018, there was no way of knowing that it was no longer registered to John Lambeth.

That's why the panel, in talking about what kinds of evidence one needs to prove a nickname said:

Such evidence is particularly apposite when, as here, it is not readily apparent as to why the Respondent, Richard Blair, would have become known as “Lambo” and no explanation has been proffered by him.

Usually, nicknames have stories and a history behind them. While, sure, it is technically the complainant's burden to prove various things, it is usually the case that if you register a domain name which is your nickname, you might want to provide evidence that it had been your nickname before you registered the domain name, and not a nickname you invented for yourself afterwards.

Stuff like this is not helpful:

The Respondent has asserted also that he is a “Lamb of outlier generic aptitude and intelligence”. What this means, is unclear but, whatever meaning is intended by this contention, it is a statement made without any evidential support.

I'll just leave this here - usually, no one is going to find one's own opinion of one's intelligence to be very persuasive. One's general demeanor has an impact on the panel's determination of how credible a person one is.

Well, the apparent facts seem to be that John Lambeth stopped being the registrant in early 2018, and the present registrant was identified by the registrar as Richard Blair.
i have no comment for richard blair. ty.

•••
@jberryhill what is your hourly rate btw? ty

I've tried to get away from hourly rates and tend to do more flat rate work. I could say that my rate is a million dollars an hour, but since I get most jobs done in under a second, that works out to about $277 on a flat rate basis.

It can also depend on what I'm doing. If it's something interesting and fun, I take that into account. Once in a while, I take a case for free if it is particularly interesting.

•••
I've tried to get away from hourly rates and tend to do more flat rate work. I could say that my rate is a million dollars an hour, but since I get most jobs done in under a second, that works out to about $277 on a flat rate basis.

It can also depend on what I'm doing. If it's something interesting and fun, I take that into account. Once in a while, I take a case for free if it is particularly interesting.
awesome good to know. ty.

•••
•••
This guy is too arrogant to accept advices from the experts. I honestly predicted this outcome long back. My next prediction is that he is going to court and going to lose there as well.
I am pretty sure he is the same guy who bought a 3L dot com domain name disputed as stolen for cheap and asked people "so what?". I may be wrong though. He keeps changing his names to match with the newest best domain name he acquires.

•••

I guess it varies tremendously, but can you tell a bit about what expenses you can expect if you take a case like this to a US court?

•••
Ok, so the panel decided Lambo is not the nickname for the respondent.

But how did they establish that the other party has the rights to it, since it is not the company name and it is not using Lambo in any marketing efforts?

If people start calling a company sh*t, does it mean that company is now entitled to sh*t.com?

•••
Ok, so the panel decided Lambo is not the nickname for the respondent.

But how did they establish that the other party has the rights to it, since it is not the company name and it is not using Lambo in any marketing efforts?

If people start calling a company sh*t, does it mean that company is now entitled to sh*t.com?
omg I went to that domain and saw an adult warning on it, I thought it will be a parked page with a price lol

•••
Agree, i was thinking the same but did not post.

•••

A trademark is whatever symbol, word, image, etc. that consumers use to differentiate competitive goods or services in the relevant marketplace.

McDonalds didn't start out calling itself things like "McD's" or "Mickey Dees" and other things that consumers started calling it, and people adopted.

Coca-Cola didn't start out calling itself the shortened "Coke" either.

Those are things that, yes, "people started calling" McDonalds and Coca-Cola, and which were then picked up by the mark owners. It's the best sort of organic branding, because it originates with the consumers themselves.

If consumers adopt their own brand for your stuff, that is trademark gold, since you don't have to put your own effort into promoting that brand. So, absolutely, McDonalds has jumped on "McD's" and "Mickey Dees" just as Coca-Cola adopted "Coke" - from what their own consumers started calling those brands.

One failed UDRP claim of this type arose from the apparent reputation of "Canadian Tire" stores as "Crappy Tire":

https://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2001/d2001-0383.html

"Complainant submits that Canadian Tire is also colloquially referred to or known as "Crappy Tire". The term "Crappy Tire" is a slang expression derived from the Canadian Tire trade marks. Generally, the usage does not have a negative connotation but is an impertinent reference to a mass merchandiser."

The really weird thing about this thread is the apparent mass delusion that "Lambo" is not immediately recognizable as what people all over the world call Lamborghini. Furthermore, yes, Lamborghini has registered marks for "LAMBO" long pre-dating the Respondent's registration of the domain name (posted upthread).

One good rule of thumb in predicting the outcome of UDRP disputes, or determining whether it is going to be an uphill battle, is the question "did I correctly guess the complainant from the domain name before looking at the case"?

Be real. Yes, the term "Lambo" has some minor incidental significance as something else, but it is very well known as a reference to Lamborghini. Trademarks are not all created equal. The stronger an association with one particular party, the stronger the mark. The phrase "wen Lambo" is a common in-joke in the NFT space, and it doesn't take more than a Google search to immediately grasp the strength of that association.

Now, sure, if someone can show that they are commonly known as the domain name in question, that is an absolute UDRP defense. For example, Mr. A.R. Mani kept Armani.com in a dispute with the obvious complainant:

G. A. Modefine S.A. v. A.R. Mani
Case No. D2001-0537
https://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2001/d2001-0537.html

"The Respondent's full name is Anand Ramnath Mani. His Finnish birth certificate could not be located but this would likely have confirmed his parents names but not his own. Third party evidence was provided confirming that this was likely to be the case. The certified copy of the Respondent's baptismal certificate and his Canadian Citizenship certificate show that his full name is as pleaded."

So, sure, even in a case with a well-known mark like Armani, they could not win against someone who was able to prove that he has long been known as A.R. Mani - and prior to obtaining the domain name.

These cases tend to be fact-sensitive, which I guess is why some people call them unpredictable. But it is amazing to me that the basic framing of the situation here seems to escape a lot of people:

In 2018, someone obtained a well-known colloquial reference, and registered mark, to a luxury automobile company and, when challenged, claimed it was their nickname. They presented no evidence of the existence of that nickname prior to having obtained the domain name, never used the domain name for personal use associated with their nickname (such as even an email address), and simply valued it for millions of dollars. Simply pointing out that one adopted the domain name as a nickname after having bought it, looks more like an after-the-fact justification than a real defense.

Now, obviously, the complainant did a piss-poor job of framing the complaint. For example, they apparently neglected to point out their own registered marks for "LAMBO" pre-dating the respondent's acquisition of the domain name.

Sure, merely having a trademark prior to someone else's domain name does not result in an automatic win. Obviously, there are domain registrants who win UDRP disputes on a regular basis, and nobody wins every battle.

But, the basic outlines of any dispute establish how much evidence is going to be needed. In a case where "some guy registered Lambo.com and wants millions for it", then if you don't recognize that, from the starting block, that's going to be a challenging case, then maybe you need to recalibrate your perception of what makes a winning or losing case. That's obviously going to be a difficult case for the domain registrant to win, absent strong evidence of the nickname defense. My assumption, stated previously in this thread, was that the case was a probable win for the domain registrant, whom I had incorrectly assumed to still be Mr. Lambeth.

Over the course of two decades of these things, I have won some cases that I thought were losers and lost some cases that I thought were winners. But it is important to recognize a case that can go either way depending on what are the specific facts and how they are presented. Obviously, we can't see the complaint and the response in this case and, obviously, at least one panelist found that the complaint didn't make out a sufficient case. The other two panelists took a broader "what do you think is most likely going on here?" gut-level approach to the case.

•••
I guess it varies tremendously, but can you tell a bit about what expenses you can expect if you take a case like this to a US court?

https://domainnamewire.com/2021/01/...orneys-fees-in-reverse-domain-hijacking-case/

U.S. Magistrate Judge Deborah M. Fine has ordered (pdf) sports apparel company Lotto Sport Italia to pay approximately $237,000 in attorneys’ fees stemming from a reverse domain name hijacking case.

Lotto Sport filed a cybersquatting dispute under the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) against David Dent’s domain names LottoStore .com and LottoWorks .com. Dent acquired the domains for over $11,000 with plans to use them for his online gaming business, only to be hit with the UDRP shortly after acquiring the domains.

Dent’s initial case was poorly defended and a World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) panel found in Lotto Sport’s favor. So Dent was forced to defend his domains by filing a lawsuit.

Last edited:
•••

One thing to realize about taking a UDRP decision to court, such as the lottoworks case mentioned in the article linked above, is that if we are talking about the US, then the trademark claimant will also counterclaim for cybersquatting and other violations of its mark. So if you take a UDRP case to court, you're no longer just playing to keep the domain name. You're playing for real money, and you can't just walk away if it starts tilting against you.

But, since the original post in this thread notes:

Counter measures to humiliate such endeavours are afoot. Unlawful theft will be duly punished through legal and commensurate counter efforts including any coerced and submissive accomplices.

...then perhaps the show may continue - especially against those "coerced and submissive accomplices" whomever they might be. Sounds scary.

•••
I am pretty sure he is the same guy who bought a 3L dot com domain name disputed as stolen for cheap and asked people "so what?".

https://www.namepros.com/threads/a-quick-due-diligence-saved-losing-25k.1203053/

Another thing to note about "going to court" is that one's history of domain registrations and dealings is also subject to discovery. Parties litigating domain cases will regularly subpoena a lot of information directly from registrars and other service providers to flesh out a full picture.

Last edited:
•••
He may have messed up the case by his own actions and not retaining counsel but earlier in this thread we can see many companies use the term lambo. Lamb is a dictionary word.

They have no more right to it than any REAL lambo based company and they didn’t care enough to keep the mark active because lets get real its, for them, a nickname. Nothing more and nothing less.

I think this has more to do with who filed the udrp and less to do with the word Lamb plus a letter o. being exclusively their term because it is not. Money and power talks.

•••
He may have messed up the case by his own actions and not retaining counsel but earlier in this thread we can see many companies use the term lambo. Lamb is a dictionary word.

They have no more right to it than any REAL lambo based company and they didn’t care enough to keep the mark active because lets get real its, for them, a nickname. Nothing more and nothing less.

I think this has more to do with who filed the udrp and less to do with the word Lamb plus a letter o. being exclusively their term because it is not. Money and power talks.
Also the lamb is not a Bull, there is no relation with their logo.

•••

Who filed the case certainly mattered.

If any of the many Lambo companies or several thousand people named "Lambo" around the world filed the case, they certainly would not have received the same treatment.

UDRP has (3) prongs that must be proven -

1.) Confusingly similar to a trademark or service mark in which the Complainant has rights

2.) Registrant has no legitimate reason to own domain.

3.) Being registered AND used in bad faith.

Even if you concede the first prong, on to the second prong.

No legitimate reason to own the domain.

Lamborghini does not have exclusive use to the term for every possible use. There are many others who use the term for various uses. The term can certainly be used in a non-infringing manner.

Now on to prong 3. Where is the actual bad faith when it comes to usage? That is required under UDRP language.

This is what Neil Brown called out in his long dissent.

What you have here are 2 panelists unfairly giving the benefit of doubt to a company, even though the facts of the case don't merit that outcome.

All they presented are very generic, broad, specious arguments.

Whether you like the OP or not does not change the facts of the case and should be no factor in the outcome.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
https://domainnamewire.com/2021/01/...orneys-fees-in-reverse-domain-hijacking-case/

U.S. Magistrate Judge Deborah M. Fine has ordered (pdf) sports apparel company Lotto Sport Italia to pay approximately $237,000 in attorneys’ fees stemming from a reverse domain name hijacking case.

Lotto Sport filed a cybersquatting dispute under the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) against David Dent’s domain names LottoStore .com and LottoWorks .com. Dent acquired the domains for over $11,000 with plans to use them for his online gaming business, only to be hit with the UDRP shortly after acquiring the domains.

Dent’s initial case was poorly defended and a World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) panel found in Lotto Sport’s favor. So Dent was forced to defend his domains by filing a lawsuit.
Thanks. That is certainly not small change for most people.

•••
Who filed the case certainly mattered.

If any of the many Lambo companies or several thousand people named "Lambo" around the world filed the case, they certainly would not have received the same treatment.

UDRP has (3) prongs that must be proven -

1.) Confusingly similar to a trademark or service mark in which the Complainant has rights

2.) Registrant has no legitimate reason to own domain.

3.) Being registered AND used in bad faith.

Even if you concede the first prong, on to the second prong.

No legitimate reason to own the domain.

Lamborghini does not have exclusive use to the term for every possible use. There are many others who use the term for various uses. The term can certainly be used in a non-infringing manner.

Now on to prong 3. Where is the actual bad faith when it comes to usage? That is required under UDRP language.

This is what Neil Brown called out in his long dissent.

What you have here are 2 panelists unfairly giving the benefit of doubt to a company, even though the facts of the case don't merit that outcome.

All they presented are very generic, broad, specious arguments.

Whether you like the OP or not does not change the facts of the case and should be no factor in the outcome.

Brad
If you search at OpenCorporates by the term Lambo you get 551companies that uses Lambo in their name. There are a lot of Lambo's around the world with jurisdiction:

•••

There are also more than 1500 people alone on LinkedIn with the surname, out of many more thousands in the world.

This is the type of the situation where you really should need to prove an abusive history, because granting "bad faith" on just generic arguments is a major issue when it comes to domains that are not clear cut cases.

This is not InstagramNFT.com or whatever. UDRP was designed for those type of cases, not these type of cases.

I am sorry, but in a case like this it seems like the (2) panelists already made their mind up then simply cherry-picked a way to get to the conclusion they wanted vs actually following the facts of the dispute.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
There are also more than 1500 people alone on LinkedIn with the surname, out of many more thousands in the world.

This is the type of the situation where you really should need to prove an abusive history, because granting "bad faith" on just generic arguments is a major issue when it comes to domains that are not clear cut cases.

This is not InstagramNFT.com or whatever. UDRP was designed for those type of cases, not these type of cases.

I am sorry, but in a case like this it seems like the (2) panelists already made their mind up then simply cherry-picked a way to get to the conclusion they wanted vs actually following the facts of the dispute.

Brad
Theoretically anyone out of this 1500 people and 551 companies could abuse the UDRP to get the domain. Is there maybe a case where actually multiple complainants tried to get a domain at the same time?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back