IT.COM

question I wonder how some people price their names....

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm after a specific name and it was listed on Sedo for min $100
I offered $1000 to start out. No reply. Then I gave a $4000 offer no reply.
I search on other websites and found out it was listed on Afternic for $100 000
I know you can't list it for over 100k on Sedo it's not appraised, I guess that's why he only had $100 as min.
Now he removed the Afternic listing.
It's not worth 100k, the thing is that he can ask what he wants...
I also have the option to not waste my time on such a seller.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sellers can ask whatever they want, even if unreasonable. If the domain in question is ridiculously priced, let it be. As the end user, comes down to how badly you need it. Over time as the seller realises there are no bites at their ask, they'll reconsider their position

Last edited:
•••
1. Go to dnjournal or namebio and look at the sale price of many names over 100k, most of them you will think are not worth it. It was worth it to someone.

2. You went from 1k to 4k, based on what? If you had a billion dollars, would you still not buy the name for 100k? If the answer is no then you shouldn't buy it for 1 dollar.

3. People get mad all the time but most good domains are underpriced. Business owners are so lucky that domainers rarely price correctly and usually don't even update prices to reflect the rise in domain prices.

4. Domains like a retail location can make or break a business idea. Sometimes the domain doesn't matter, but when it does and you don't invest wisely, you will destroy a good idea.

5. Some major corporations that are backed by many marketing experts spend a lot of domains. It is ok to say you cannot afford something, but don't knock it because of that. If domains didn't matter, corporations would not spend so much on them.

Anyone can ask for any price they want and the market decides if they get it or not.

I hope you find a good name within your range for your idea.

•••
Well, I know that they can ask what they want. My problem is that they are wasting my time.
Just set a price, it saves both of our time.
I have seen some of the sales on dnjournal and namebio. Those are kind of rare and you should not expect to be that lucky.
I went from 1k to 4k because I liked the name and it's brandable. No, I would not buy it for 100k if I had a billion dollars. I can buy a much better name for that. Why shouldn't I buy it for 1 dollar if I could?
It's worth a lot more than 1 dollar. I'm not going to offer more if he can't reply. I would have my money tied up for x amount of time on sedo. Lets say I offer 10k then I legally have to buy it on the last day if he accepts it.
I don't get mad I just don't like people wasting my time. Domain king talks about this as well

Last edited:
•••
Well, I know that they can ask what they want. My problem is that they are wasting my time.
Just set a price, it saves both of our time.
I have seen some of the sales on dnjournal and namebio. Those are kind of rare and you should not expect to be that lucky.
I went from 1k to 4k because I liked the name and it's brandable. No, I would not buy it for 100k if I had a billion dollars. I can buy a much better name for that. Why shouldn't I buy it for 1 dollar if I could?
It's worth a lot more than 1 dollar. I'm not going to offer more if he can't reply. I would have my money tied up for x amount of time on sedo. Lets say I offer 10k then I legally have to buy it on the last day if he accepts it.
I don't get mad I just don't like people wasting my time. Domain king talks about this as well
Domain King talks a lot about the value of domains and explains how they are more valuable than most people realize.

Does domain king have prices on most if any of his names? I don't remember seeing any and he has a lot of good work explaining why.

Some companies set prices on all or most of their names, hugedomain does, buydomains I think sets them on most.

Look, he didn't set a price and you still contacted them. A lot of domainers will ignore you if your offer is way too low. I personally ignore most offers, they are not worth a reply and most domainers I know do the same. If you owned a brand new Ferrari and someone offered you 20000 bucks would you reply and counter them or ignore? A domainer that feels his name is worth 100k and intends to hold it until he gets that price, might view a 4k offer as silly as the 20k brand new Ferrari offer.

Domainers like myself that ignore offers that are very low compared to the price we want, didn't always ignore people. We learned from experience that those people are time wasters and all we can do is get into a back and forth with people and it just leads to nothing.

•••
Domain King talks a lot about the value of domains and explains how they are more valuable than most people realize.

Does domain king have prices on most if any of his names? I don't remember seeing any and he has a lot of good work explaining why.

Some companies set prices on all or most of their names, hugedomain does, buydomains I think sets them on most.

Look, he didn't set a price and you still contacted them. A lot of domainers will ignore you if your offer is way too low. I personally ignore most offers, they are not worth a reply and most domainers I know do the same. If you owned a brand new Ferrari and someone offered you 20000 bucks would you reply and counter them or ignore? A domainer that feels his name is worth 100k and intends to hold it until he gets that price, might view a 4k offer as silly as the 20k brand new Ferrari offer.

Domainers like myself that ignore offers that are very low compared to the price we want, didn't always ignore people. We learned from experience that those people are time wasters and all we can do is get into a back and forth with people and it just leads to nothing.

This is not a Ferrari and can't be compared to one. He had a price on afternic, I found that out later. What is the point of having a 100k price on afternic and a $100 min offer on sedo?
Someone contacted me about a Swedish city.com and wanted me to broker it for $90 000. This is a small city and they would never use a .com
I told him, thanks for the offer but it's not worth that and wished him good luck.
A friend of mine wanted to test out the pricing so he made an offer on a really bad Swedish .com
He made a 10k offer (e-mail). No reply.
Now a few years later it's for sale for 5k. It's a 2 word Swedish .com
There are no companies that use the name I'm after so he is going to have a hard time getting an offer from an end user. A reseller is not going to offer 100k for it. I guess he can hold it for 5-10 years and hope that a new company starts using the name and buys it.

•••
I'm after a specific name and it was listed on Sedo for min $100
I offered $1000 to start out. No reply. Then I gave a $4000 offer no reply.
I search on other websites and found out it was listed on Afternic for $100 000
I know you can't list it for over 100k on Sedo it's not appraised, I guess that's why he only had $100 as min.
Now he removed the Afternic listing.
It's not worth 100k, the thing is that he can ask what he wants...
I also have the option to not waste my time on such a seller.
Maybe you should hire a broker at Sedo to negotiate...

•••
If someone put 100,000 mark, then he hopes it will be sold at least 50,000. If it is to much, so find another domain. Don't waste your time.

Domain King never answers offer until it is in the range he wants to negotiate : 50% of asking price. That is Rick's most popular education to domainers.

IMG_20220829_013128.jpg

IMG_20220829_013206.jpg

•••
The idea is so you either offer a decent amount or go direct as it isn't parked just listed i have listed plenty of names in order to create type in.

•••
You're an investor willing to pay $4000 for the name.

$100,000 would only be 25x. So it's not that unrealistic of an asking price imo.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back