Dynadot

strategy I sold a .tv for 8.5K and this made me think

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi guys,
today I finalized the sale of a .tv domains for 8.5K. Unfortunately I can't share the name, the buyer asked me to keep it private.
What I wanted to share is the fact that I took it just last year for around 300$, I saw it and I knew it was great and a steal at that price.
My point is that the mistake that most of the domainers do, especially at the beginning, is to waste a LOT of money regging bad domains.
Why?
Because it gives adrenaline, excitement and dreams, it's like a drug.
But the fact is that instead of regging 30 domains for 10$ you could buy 1 domain for 300$.
Yes, it's a little bit more complicated because you just can't go make some list scan, insert the credit card and purchase it. You need to spend a lot more time and it's not immediate, you don't have that "drug-like" sensation.
But at the end of the day there are good chances that you've a domain that could sell in the future and, even more important, after 1 year you don't have to spend 300$ to renew 30 domains, but just 10$.
So if you are starting now with domaining please don't go into regging mode because it's one of the biggest mistakes you can make.
I made it at the beginning of my domaining journey more than 11 years ago (I even regged hyphenated .asia domains) and honestly this is the advice that I think I would have needed the most when I started.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hyphenated .asia domains....now that's a bounce-back inspiring to all.

Thanks!

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for sharing this.

•••
Yes thanks for sharing man and congrats, very nice sale. Huge ROI and short hold, well played.
Great advice, too, about being aware of the power of the excitement of the hand reg. Investing $300 in one name and not 30 poor $10 names with 30 $10 renewals next year is great advice for those just starting out. At least for most new domainers.

•••
can we get a pointer to the strategy you employed, thanks for sharing

•••
Hi guys,
today I finalized the sale of a .tv domains for 8.5K. Unfortunately I can't share the name, the buyer asked me to keep it private.
What I wanted to share is the fact that I took it just last year for around 300$, I saw it and I knew it was great and a steal at that price.
My point is that the mistake that most of the domainers do, especially at the beginning, is to waste a LOT of money regging bad domains.
Why?
But the fact is that instead of regging 30 domains for 10$ you could buy 1 domain for 300$.
Yes, it's a little bit more complicated because you just can't go make some list scan, insert the credit card and purchase it. You need to spend a lot more time and it's not immediate, you don't have that "drug-like" sensation.
But at the end of the day there are good chances that you've a domain that could sell in the future and, even more important, after 1 year you don't have to spend 300$ to renew 30 domains, but just 10$.
So if you are starting now with domaining please don't go into regging mode because it's one of the biggest mistakes you can make.
I made it at the beginning of my domaining journey more than 11 years ago (I even regged hyphenated .asia domains) and honestly this is the advice that I think I would have needed the most when I started.

That's 100% spot on, its what I think the biggest mistake made by the new domainers. Quality over quantity.

•••
Hi guys,
Why?

True but not 100%
Depend a lot of factors . Me to also sold a .tv with 8.5k ( i guess is not the same domain you sold :) )
if reg. a lot of domains this must be selected of course but the chance's to sell are more then if you reg. one good or two domains , that most of domainers ( and not just new domainers ) prefer quantity over quality
.TV is a strong ccTLD almost like .co ...but the market in this day is based a lot on outbound & if not then what i notice most of end buyers if they want to buy a specific domain , will buy at almost any price (of course not to be a astronomic price , reange mid xxxx up to low xxxxx) . i sold some domains that in eye's of the most domainers not give a penny & sold with low mid xxxx

The catch is to wait & renew the domains , this is the hard part, to renew & wait
IMO

Last edited:
•••
Hi guys,
Why?
Great advice! But need to be careful and do more research when we buy domains at larger price.

Also could you pls share whether it is single word .TV or dictionary word like that info because new domainers (including me) may start buying .TV domains blindly after seeing your sale of 8500$.. that's how domainers mind works.

Thanks,
Sumeeth

•••
The .tv type domain name is still good, especially the boutique word variety.

•••
•••
Hi guys,
Why?

the problem is
if you don't know what you do
you don't know what you do

you can buy great nonsense for $300 USD
- have done it often

•••
Hi guys,
Why?

•••
I agree. Instead of registering a lot of names that don't make sense in English, why not invest in a name that logically might get searches? I think new domainers might want to monitor sites that specialize in names that have not been renewed and so are open to being registered.

•••
•••
Does dictionary word .tv worth buying for resell purpose?

•••
Does dictionary word .tv worth buying for resell purpose?

Only if the word lends its self strongly to the .TV extension, Strongly supported Arts or crafts or Hobby site names can do well. This is because the TV extension does lend itself quite nicely to these type of names for video lessons/tuition or subject broadcasts , earnings obviously coming from affiliate links.

Don't make the mistake of thinking any single word will work with TV.

Hobbyists can be a very lucrative market for domainers. It just has to be perfect for those end-users to bite. As a rule they would probably rather go with a .org or .tv domain if it's a one/two-man/women 'production' job and yes they will quite happily spend 2-4k for the right message in a domain

$8k was a very fortunate bite for the OP ( for a 300 buy) . It must have been GOOD

Last edited:
•••
Only if the word lends its self strongly to the .TV extension, Strongly supported Arts or crafts or Hobby site names can do well. This is because the TV extension does lend itself quite nicely to these type of names for video lessons/tuition or subject broadcasts , earnings obviously coming from affiliate links.

Don't make the mistake of thinking any single word will work with TV.

Hobbyists can be a very lucrative market for domainers. It just has to be perfect for those end-users to bite. As a rule they would probably rather go with a .org or .tv domain if it's a one/two-man/women 'production' job and yes they will quite happily spend 2-4k for the right message in a domain

$8k was a very fortunate bite for the OP ( for a 300 buy) . It must have been GOOD
Yesterday I found a .Tv domain obviously a dictionary word, I don't know whether it will work with .tv or not but I saw its appraised $5,500 in estibot.

•••
Thanks for sharing and congrats.

•••
Thank you for sharing. Pig. TV supports you.

•••
TV suffix is very suitable for streaming media projects, and can exist independently without com, not far-fetched. The chances of high-priced transfer of registered domain names are less than one percent.

Pig. TV is what I bought at a high price.

•••
I have acquired a dictionary one word .tv for $600 of a business niche I used to run myself, 6 years ago, but so far not a single offer received yet.

•••
You can do well buying 30 domains for 10 each, but you need to know which ones to renew.
I would probably not pay 300 for any .tv except for at most 100 keywords. .tv registry is very agressive, and if there is some profit to be made, they prefer to make it themselves and not leave it to domainers.
They wanted 250,000 per year for Brown.tv when Ups was promoting brown (and I was using .tv registry as an appraisal service). If it was instead $100 per year and I bought it, would I be able to sell it to someone for 1k? : probably not.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I generally back off buying new domains when I have bought a few second hand for the month. Just to not blow myself out for a big spending month.

Last edited:
•••
Nice sale. I have Snatched.tv and Dronie.TV

Have adjusted the price of Snatched but I want to do my own stuff with Dronie.TV

Twitter own Dronie.com

•••
Back