Dynadot

discuss I said I wasn't going to do it but I just bought my first .app domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I have always stuck to .ca and .com domains and have shied away from almost all other extensions.

With some of the big boys touting the possibility off .app making it I still said I would not do it.

Well guess what?

I found one off my domains suits itself incredibly well to the .app extension that I actually went ahead and registered it.

Photogr.app

It matches my photograpp.com domain

5.jpg

Picture0011.png

So tell me what you think

Would you have registered www.photogr.app ?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Off topic but due to a mention of dispatch.app ......all I will say just because a name is sold for x amount of dollars and reported dosnt mean it really sold for x amount of dollars

•••
Too often on this list I see things like this:
Off topic but due to a mention of dispatch.app ......all I will say just because a name is sold for x amount of dollars and reported dosnt mean it really sold for x amount of dollars

Unless there is some evidence supported reason to say that, I think we all do the domain community a disservice by sowing doubt and scepticism with statements like the above.

I have no knowledge of this specific case but would point out:
  • It was reported on NameBio, a database I trust, who require documentation for sales outside the usual venues.
  • Yes, a high value .app sale, but only slightly above the sale of host which went for just under $14k in July and bot sold in August for $10k.
  • I have no idea if they are the buyer, but there is a company with exactly that name who use mobile as part of their product solution for matching trades people and jobs, so I don't find it at all unbelievable that it would sell for this price. In my opinion it is doubtless worth more than $15k to them.
  • The generic nature of the word means there are many other potential purchasers ranging from delivery, financial, music, etc. More than 190 million Google search results on the word.
  • The sale came from someone who clearly holds a premium portfolio of .app domain names. The name itself was premium from Google sold in EAP.
I realize this thread is not a place for such a discussion, but I did not wish the statement to go unchallenged. The success of domain investing depends on positive public perceptions. Yes, by all means we should call out cases where there is evidence. But giving vague statements that maybe it did not really sell for that does no good and much harm.

Last edited:
•••
Got a few on Namebios myself and they require a lot of documentation to get listed.

I'm with @MetBob on this one

•••
There’s a difference between an opinion and an accusation .....everyone has a right to an opinion and I voiced mine....I did some research on which I base my opinion,wether I’m right or wrong it’s an opinion nothing more nothin less

•••

So tell me what you think

Would you have registered www.photogr.app ?
To answer the question, personally I would not have registered a (dot)app, because basically not my forte (new extensions that is) and I sure don't know how to get past these hurdles with that extension

https://domainnamewire.com/2018/05/10/heres-why-its-going-to-be-hard-to-sell-your-app-domain-names/
(assuming still up-to-date information)

But If I had a popular "app" on Google/Amazon/Apple, I do my best to to acquire the app extension!

Also I do understand the logic of registering your domain in another extension (less loss of search engine traffic, add value to a sale, can be a redirect to your main domain).

Now, my question is..I can see the logic in the first keyword (photo) but why the secondary keyword "grapp" (compared to grip/group/etc)
https://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C.......0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.tAF4tXysQiM

https://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C.......0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.pKmm0lBCTow

Branding? Future development?

•••
I'm going to disagree with you on that, Your second word is Grapp. It bares no resemblance to .App. It's a mind thingy, that identifies the association. been there and done that many times in the past. And of course you've now got the domain PHOTOGR.

honestly if you'd seen some of my early domains that incorporated the .COM as word ending registrations from the past, you'll kill yourself laughing.

one mistake and registration is of course, forgivable ;)

The second word is not grapp

Look at it this way....

Photograph now drop the end "h" and add a "p" instead to get..

photograpp a photography app.

So it's a play on the word photograph and the word app

It makes sense to own them both. Now mind you it makes sense as a $20 registration for the .app, it would not have made sense to drop any big money on it.

As far as photograpp.com goes, well I have had a number of offers on it and one from as far away as Germany. I'm not prepared to sell it under 5k so I decided to hold off until someone sees the branding opportunity for an app on this one.

•••
I have a major website on .club including a forum and it loads fine http on Chrome browser no need for SSL. I just haven't gotten around to putting this site on my server which offers free https yet.

Just to clarify

You missed the fact that I said .app & .dev as being the domains that require an ssl certificate.

Those two are owned by google and they mandate an ssl certificate. It is not optional like on the .club extension.

Hope that clears it up.

•••
I've only registered 1 .app too and also to match a domain's most likely purpose. I own the .com and offering the .app for free is a nice sweetener me thinks.
iqok.png

Last edited:
•••
all I will say just because a name is sold for x amount of dollars and reported dosnt mean it really sold for x amount of dollars
Unless there is some evidence supported reason to say that, I think we all do the domain community a disservice by sowing doubt and scepticism with statements like the above.

Not speaking of any particular cases but drawing only on general observations, having an open-minded scepticism has proven indispensible to the scientific community throughout its history.

Last edited:
•••
I'm with @MetBob on this one
Actually, a few months ago (and in connection with another high value sale) you contemplated a possibility for the following scenario:
So here goes....

List a domain for 1 million

Buy it from yourself and give about 100k to market place for commission.

Resell it two years later for 900k and someone will snap it up as a bargain, based on previous sales history.

Net profit about 800k

Pretty smart when you think about it !!!!!

How much you want to bet its been done?

Last edited:
•••
Not speaking of any particular cases but drawing only on general observations, having an open-minded scepticism has proven indispensible to the scientific community throughout its history.

I agree with maintaining an open-mind and always looking at evidence to evaluate validity of any proposition. Critical thinking looks at the balance of evidence, it does not mean simply mistrusting some set of things without any hint of evidence.

I would not object to making the general statement in some thread that was not tied to any particular sale that we should always be alert to the possibility of some sales being misrepresented. But to make the statement specifically linking it to one sale (as was done drawing attention to exactly this name), particularly with no suggestion of any supporting evidence, is inappropriate, in my opinion. I would argue this is also highly unfair to the seller and the buyer of this domain name (neither of which I know.)

Before I first responded I looked at what I considered the balance of evidence - i.e. the numbered points in my response. Was it a validated sale? (yes, NameBio require this) Was it in the range of other .app sales (yes, highest by not by much). Was it a high value word? (not a lot of sales in NB but a hugely widely used and versatile word). Would someone REALLY desire it? (yes I found a company that it would clearly be worth way more than this in about 10 minutes of Google digging). I could go on, but to me the balance of evidence clearly favours it. Critical thinking means being open minded and looking at evidence. Not simply mistrusting everything.

Last edited:
•••
Actually, a few months ago (and in connection with another high value sale) you contemplated a possibility for the following scenario:

Agreed and there is some of that going on, I have my suspicions about a couple of sales specifically but from my own experience NameBio asks for all the supporting paperwork so I would say the vast majority of sales reported there are legit.

However.....

There are a few bad apples for sure, you can bet bottom dollar on that. The only thing is we cannot lump all of the legitimate sales into the same category.

Last edited:
•••
Back to more the actual purpose of this thread, does anyone know of an analysis of how often a .app and corresponding .com or .io have same owner. I thought I remembered seeing one somewhere but can''t seem to find it. Thanks for the link if someone knows where it was. As I recall, only a small percentage were both owned by same.

•••
•••
I'm normally a fan of most of your purchases, @MapleDots, but I'm not a huge fan of this one. It's not terribly pleasing on the ear... Sounds a bit too much like Photo Crap.

I do like the logo a lot, though!

•••
I have a feeling startups are going to be
I'm normally a fan of most of your purchases, @MapleDots, but I'm not a huge fan of this one. It's not terribly pleasing on the ear... Sounds a bit too much like Photo Crap.

I do like the logo a lot, though!

I think it sounds more like Photo Grab myself :xf.wink:

•••
This is maybe (only slightly I think) off topic, but was wondering @MapleDots if you very often try to have .com and .ca in the same word to offer to a potential end-user? I know economics and availability argue against it often, but wonder if you have done that, and if so if you found it made a difference to potential end users.

•••
This is maybe (only slightly I think) off topic, but was wondering @MapleDots if you very often try to have .com and .ca in the same word to offer to a potential end-user? I know economics and availability argue against it often, but wonder if you have done that, and if so if you found it made a difference to potential end users.

The biggest deal I ever had was a combo of the .ca & .com

I recently picked up mothrs.com and I ended up registering mothrs.ca in case there was a canadian company interested because you know what happens.... Canadian companies check the .com and if taken automatically go for the .ca. Having both on a good domain is a great defensive strategy.

The same applies for other extensions and even though I don't deal in them I thought the .app made sense in this particular case. Time will tell because I have had offers on photograpp.com, now we will see if the .app brings any extra value. I will definitely seek this topic out and post back if and when I sell the domain.

•••
I've only registered 1 .app too and also to match a domain's most likely purpose. I own the .com and offering the .app for free is a nice sweetener me thinks.
Show attachment 98749
From "photo-crap" to "i-cock"

•••
•••
So, just wondering if you would not mind posting a few of YOUR non crap .com domains I would love to see an example of what you consider sales worthy.
Phonetically that's how they sound, do you agree?

•••
So, just wondering if you would not mind posting a few of YOUR non crap .com domains I would love to see an example of what you consider sales worthy.
I think that would be tacky in this context

•••
Just curious to see what makes a good enough domain for you to purchase it.

I don't think it would be tacky at all, I'm always open to a good lesson and I am looking forward to seeing some of your phonetically superior domains.

I love looking at members portfolios and how they develop their ideas, your blog is actually quite good and you have peaked my interest. :xf.cool:

•••
Just curious to see what makes a good enough domain for you to purchase it.

I don't think it would be tacky at all, I'm always open to a good lesson and I am looking forward to seeing some of your phonetically superior domains.

I love looking at members portfolios and how they develop their ideas, your blog is actually quite good and you have peaked my interest. :xf.cool:
My portfolio is very small, it includes short names like gax, ceec, almi, eese, dnas. Numerics like 88287, 11215, 81518 and others like cryptocorp, buybuy, lambo, pharmacore, adlux and payyou.

Last edited:
•••
I have to admit they are decent names. I notice a cool million for ceec, might be a bit ambitious but we've seen it happen in .com.

What about other extensions like new gtld's do you own any?
I have a grand total of ONE as listed here and I have not mustered up the gumption to stray outside of my comfort zone of .ca and .com. Sure I have about 5 .net's and org's but those are mostly strategic buys like in the case of www.priide.com . It's a made up word so I could have bought up all the extensions but the trick is to know when to stop.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back