IT.COM

advice I received an offer from a Billion dollar company for my LLLL.co

NameSilo
Watch

Nomad91

Established Member
Impact
Hey Guys,

So I received an offer from a billion dollar public company for a 4 letter word .co domain I own (LLLL.co) The domain is the companies name.

They first offered me $2500 for the domain, I declined, and replied saying that my selling price is in the mid to high five figures range ($xx,xxx)

They then adjusted there offer to $10,000. (yesterday, I haven't replied back yet)

My question to you guys is am I being too greedy? What price would you sell a 4 letter word .co domain for? I feel like I should at least get mid five figures. What do you think?

for some context the .com is already in use by another company and they're not likely to sell, hence why I think they want the .co. instead.

I want to hear your thoughts. (Before I reply back to them) :) :coffee:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hey Guys,

So I received an offer from a billion dollar public company for a 4 letter word .co domain I own (LLLL.co) The domain is the companies name.

They first offered me $2500 for the domain, I declined, and replied saying that my selling price is in the mid to high five figures range ($xx,xxx)

They then adjusted there offer to $10,000. (yesterday, I haven't replied back yet)

My question to you guys is am I being too greedy? What price would you sell a 4 letter word .co domain for? I feel like I should at least get mid five figures. What do you think?

for some context the .com is already in use by another company and they're not likely to sell, hence why I think they want the .co. instead.

last guy in similar shoes on here at some point instead of increasing their offers they just sent him a lawyer tm email

•••
Fair enough. But it's a billion dollar company. They spend 100s of thousands on the most trivial things we can imagine. Highly unlikely they'll walk away if asked 20-30k more
There are some common misconceptions about negotiating with rich persons & companies that you have to take into account, as well. I think it's very well described here:

"A major misconception of the sales process with wealthy individuals is that you don't need to substantiate pricing in the same manner as with less affluent clients. The basic thinking here is, 'Hey, these people are loaded! Charge whatever you want!' [...] While there are exceptions to every rule, most high-end customers are discerning, knowledgeable buyers. They have likely been there before and can spot a seller who is trying to take advantage of their wealth. [...] So even when it seems like your client stuffs their tissue box with $100 bills, don't assume they ignore prices and swipe their credit card blindly."

Several members in this thread have already given very good comments, which I agree with. We still don't know the exact domain name in question, so it remains very difficult to estimate a domain value in the complete context and for a specific market.

Opinions differ on this, and people on this forum are using different methods to price and negotiate their domains, but personally I'd say: try to price the domain as much upfront as possible, based on the inherent value the domain name can add to a business, rather than 'ad hoc' adjusting the price to the apparent wealth of the accidental buyer who happens to present themselves. The buyer may have a budget, and a lot of debt.

I wish OP good luck in negotiating this deal, and it would be nice if we could hear the outcome someday. (y)

Last edited:
•••
•••
Hey Guys,

Take the money, unless losing the deal doesn' worry you at all.

•••
•••
I think that you are greedy and if the are indeed a billion dollar company, they will try to udrp you instead of paying mid $xx.xxx , which is tooooo greedy from your part, just because you know they have money.

•••
I think that you are greedy and if the are indeed a billion dollar company, they will try to udrp you instead of paying mid $xx.xxx , which is tooooo greedy from your part, just because you know they have money.

yea and on top of that we all know how all billionaires got rich..total utter greed... about same.for rich companies... so u is mucho dumb if u think gates gonna pay u more than joe blow cause gates got billions and joe sleep in his car.

•••
yea and on top of that we all know how all billionaires got rich..total utter greed... about same.for rich companies... so u is mucho dumb if u think gates gonna pay u more than joe blow cause gates got billions and joe sleep in his car.

I am new to this, but I think you are wrong. The domain doesn't have any value in itself and it's not about how much money the buyer has. It's about how much the domain is worth to them. And for a big company that has big potential to make use of a specific domain, the value is usually much higher than for a small company. That's the reason Apple paid $4.5M for iCloud.com, I guess.

And a big company will not pay a big amount for a domain if they don't think it's worth it. You sell them something they want. And domaines want to make money, right? So, I really don't think you're being greedy. Like I said before, I think you should ask for more than five figures.

•••
If that 10 grand offer is genuine, I'd probably take it (depending on the word). If the word was "walk" or "talk", or other strong word like that, then I would say you're being low balled at $2.5k and 5 figure range is the direction. I don't think that's the case here though. How would you feel if your offer suddenly became 0 (assuming its real), all because you kept pushing. Better to take an existing good offer, than completely lose it, just to gain a bit more. I wouldn't say you're being greedy, but be reasonable. IMO

Last edited:
•••
I am new to this, but I think you are wrong. The domain doesn't have any value in itself and it's not about how much money the buyer has. It's about how much the domain is worth to them. And for a big company that has big potential to make use of a specific domain, the value is usually much higher than for a small company. That's the reason Apple paid $4.5M for iCloud.com, I guess.

And a big company will not pay a big amount for a domain if they don't think it's worth it. You sell them something they want. And domaines want to make money, right? So, I really don't think you're being greedy. Like I said before, I think you should ask for more than five figures.

actally it's all about how much money buyer has. it's right there in title... billion dollar company.. every post here assumes they pay more if rich

•••
I'm in a similar position, although mine is a 5-letter .com, so I'm looking forward to hearing the outcome of the negotiations

•••
The Op hasn’t replied in weeks. I’d say the offer went nowhere. (Or he’s off spending his💰lolz)

•••
•••
The Op hasn’t replied in weeks. I’d say the offer went nowhere. (Or he’s off spending his💰lolz)
Me thinks, he probably received a cease & deist after trying to go overboard on the price. I know the OP said they contacted him first but there was probably more behind this than is posted.

•••
$2500 sounds like a "cost of filing a 3 member URDP" test offer. Potentially. IDK

$10,000 sounds like a filing fee + lawyer's fee test. Potentially. IDK

At some point, soon, you may find out - especially if that 4L "word" or company name is subject to a (TM).

Never lose sight of the "possibility" that it may ALSO be your luck that the entity making an offer decides to go after your other assets IF you put them to the test.

I've never priced a domain based on the buyer's identity. I've always priced based upon my estimation of the domains value in use . . and I've always and only registered generic domains.

MAYBE my approach to pricing has cost me $$$$+ - since MAYBE BigCorp could have / would have paid more - BUT fixing my own prices has also made like a bit easier. "Big Corp" can deal with a well reasoned fixed price demand AND well reasoned pricing speeds the sales process along.

EVEN IF you are going to price a domain based on the identity of the buyer you MAY STILL face endless self-doubt . . about the eventual sale. How will you know if BigCorp was bluffing when they declared "This is our final offer"? If they walk away, then what? Will you then be left to wait for the "other shoe to drop", i.e., for the UDRP filing - since you concluded you could be more since they could may more?

FWIW, I've sold domains to corporations including Microsoft and TripAdvisor and others I can't be bothered to remember . . well, maybe, Google (or an entity jointly owned/held by G). It was nice to know the enduser buyer, even if only after the fact, but it never mattered.

Have well versed friends you can ask for a "fully informed reality check" in private.

Don't post the domain(s) in public forums, for reasons that should be obvious . . and if they aren't . . ask a trusted friend.

Last edited:
•••
I've never priced a domain based on the buyer's identity. I've always priced based upon my estimation of the domains value in use . . and I've always and only registered generic domains.
I like your thinking Jeff - I've only picked out a small portion of your post. But, your strategy has been mine for over 20 years. Biggest problems seem to come with the term generic. We put two 'generic' words together and they can easily become subject to a post domain registration ( later TM), And unfortunately those tm owners sometimes think they have some sort of pre-ownership on the domain. No problem with people like me, I understand pretty much all the in's and out's So bat them off successfully. I do always wonder how many understand TM law enough to be able to respond successfully and perhaps capture a profitable sale. Like you I look back on many a past sale and think Now what would I be asking for that domain today?? I have to take a deep breath and just move on. But on the plus side never ever had a potential dispute that I couldn't turn into a sale

Last edited:
•••
There are 6,451 public companies that are valued over a billion.

Of those, 171 have 4 letters as their company name.

Visa
TSMC
LVMH
ICBC
ASML
CATL
Nike
AT&T
HSBC
Dior
Sony
KDDI
Vale
RELX
Ford
Enel
Uber
CIBC
BASF
Sika
MSCI
Hoya
Dell
Zoom
Hess
MPLX
PSEG
eBay
SMIC
GoTo
KONE
E.ON
CRRC
KaÅ
ORIX
Aena
DiDi
Aeon
Snap
Snam
Okta
MFHC
Exor
IDEX
OBIC
NICE
Cboe
Etsy
FICO
Roku
Mowi
AMEC
Nexi
PUMA
Ally
Xero
IMCD
ASUS
GAIL
AGCO
Olin
Rohm
Flex
Trex
CACI
Coty
ZOZO
Unum
PLDT
ENKA
TOTO
Saia
Rumo
SoFi
HYBE
SAIC
ASGN
Sixt
Lyft
Olam
Onex
PCCW
ATCO
Acom
SPIE
Scor
Kuka
GATX
TTEC
SATS
Atul
Jamf
Aaon
Ambu
ESAB
Ozon
Jet2
Dana
Acer
EQRx
CBIZ
EVgo
Yelp
JOYY
DeNA
XPEL
FIGS
CDSL
SJVN
Cohu
ASOS
Fila
tuya
stem
Mixi
Atos
TDCX
PROS
TORM
Veru
IDFC
Gree
Domo
IonQ
Paya
Momo
Afya
CEVA
Huya
VEON
MMTC
Azul
BEML
Ebix
MBIA
CEWE
Viad
CEAT
VTEX
Gevo
Yext
AMMO
Seer
PORR
ON24
View
MOIL
Sify
Qiwi
AEye
Ooma
Cian
Sono
Doma
Gati
KORE
GEOX
LCNB
Quad
KLab
gumi
HEXO
Gaia
MICT
Mogo
Koss
Culp
iBio
The9
IMTE
Winc

Of those, 146 I would consider pronounceable (some barely)

Visa
ASML
CATL
Nike
Dior
Sony
KDDI
Vale
RELX
Ford
Enel
Uber
BASF
Sika
MSCI
Hoya
Dell
Zoom
Hess
eBay
SMIC
GoTo
KONE
ORIX
Aena
DiDi
Aeon
Snap
Snam
Okta
Exor
IDEX
OBIC
NICE
Cboe
Etsy
FICO
Roku
Mowi
AMEC
Nexi
PUMA
Ally
Xero
ASUS
GAIL
AGCO
Olin
Rohm
Flex
Trex
CACI
Coty
ZOZO
Unum
ENKA
TOTO
Saia
Rumo
SoFi
HYBE
SAIC
Sixt
Lyft
Olam
Onex
ATCO
Acom
SPIE
Scor
Kuka
GATX
TTEC
SATS
Atul
Aaon
Ambu
ESAB
Ozon
Jet2
Dana
Acer
CBIZ
EVgo
Yelp
JOYY
DeNA
XPEL
FIGS
Cohu
ASOS
Fila
tuya
stem
Mixi
Atos
PROS
TORM
Veru
Gree
Domo
IonQ
Paya
Momo
Afya
CEVA
Huya
VEON
Azul
Ebix
MBIA
CEWE
Viad
CEAT
VTEX
Gevo
Yext
AMMO
Seer
PORR
ON24
View
MOIL
Sify
Qiwi
AEye
Ooma
Cian
Sono
Doma
Gati
KORE
GEOX
Quad
KLab
gumi
HEXO
Gaia
MICT
Mogo
Koss
Culp
iBio
The9
IMTE
Winc

You are saying that the dotcom is in use by a company that won't sell, therefore, we could eliminate many names like Visa, Uber, Yelp, Gaia, Nike, Dior, Sony, Ebay, Snap, Winc, Culp, KDDI, Ford, Fila, Etsy, Qiwi, DeNa, Ozon, Mowi, Quad, Dell, Flex, Koss, Gati, Dana, Ally, Acer, Toto, Olam, etc that have the dotcom and we could eliminate others where the dotcom is not working or parked like IMTE, PORR I could narrow it down to under 10 like Mogo :unsure: Sify etc. that is if you meant over a billion but even as I look through the list and use some good bots to help, something is off with the data you have given so far.

Edit, with the new info you gave, I have no contenders.

Edit 2: see my post later
Good research.

•••
In my view ask for 25k, and close the deal, Good luck.

•••
Hi guys, I have an update for you.

After a month of negotiating back and forth with the buyer, I can finally reveal that yesterday we came to an agreement, the domain has sold for $30k.

The Escrow is currently underway, I am very happy with the outcome.

Appreciate all you guys who responded to this post. Thank you! :xf.smile:

•••

After a month of negotiating back and forth with the buyer, I can finally reveal that yesterday we came to an agreement, the domain has sold for $30k.

very happy for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you will share the name one day !! (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)(y)(y)

•••

Congrats!! If you feel like sharing, could you please give som details about how the agreement was formalised, what escrow services you're using etc? Would be much appreciated to someone new to the game :)

•••
Nice one, Thanks for posting the sale. I think one or two of us, myself included, thought it may have gone cold... yep we're an impatient lot even when it's someone else sale ;)

•••
That's some inspiration for the day. Congratulations. Would love to know the name sometime :xf.wink:

•••
Hey Guys,

.co for 30K?

•••
•••
Back