Dynadot

I need some help understanding the connection between faraway expiration dates and auction dates

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDonut

Established Member
Impact
I'm eying a single word .com on Flippa. I'm a little confused about some of the information so I'd like some help understanding it.

Particularly:
  1. Why is the domain is on auction for a reserve price of $1?
  2. Why is the auction set to end in less than a week when the domain doesn't expire for 4 months?
Is this normal? I'm fairly new to this but it seems quite odd to me.

I'd post a ss but I have no clue how to upload it from my computer on this forum. If someone could clarify that too, I'd appreciate it.

P.s. the person selling it is a verified seller on Flippa with a few thousand under their belt.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's an auction? You can put your domains up for auction any time ......it has nothing to do with when the domain expires in this instance.

You might be getting confused with Godaddy expired auctions by the look of it...."GoDaddy Expired Domains enter an auction before they get returned to the registry".

People start with $1 no reserve hoping to generate early initial bids which then might drum up interest - if a domain has multiple bids the chances are more people will have a look to see what all the fuss is about.....It's a form of Social Proof.....

Last edited:
•••
It's an auction? You can put your domains up for auction any time ......it has nothing to do with when the domain expires in this instance.

You might be getting confused with Godaddy expired auctions by the look of it....

People start with $1 no reserve hoping to generate early initial bids which then might drum up interest - if a domain has multiple bids the chances are more people will have a look to see what all the fuss is about.....It's a form of Social Proof.....

Right, I understand that but wouldn't it be more practical to put a high value .com at a decently valued reserve? I mean, what if the auction ends and it just sells for like $50. Is that just me thinking strangely? As a single word .com, it seems weird to me that it doesn't have a higher reserve. In other investment industries I'm part of, I've never seen something like this.

As for the domain expiry and auction connection, I totally had a brain fart and didn't remember they were unrelated.

Last edited:
•••
Right, I understand that but wouldn't it be more practical to put a high value .com at a decently valued reserve? I mean, what if the auction ends and it just sells for like $50. Is that just me thinking strangely? As a single word .com, it seems weird to me that it doesn't have a higher reserve. In other investment industries I'm part of, I've never seen something like this.

As for the domain expiry and auction connection, I totally had a brain fart and didn't remember they were unrelated.
I agree, is it a popular word though? I mean there a lot of "1 word" domains that have little to no value as they are obscure and no business would want to brand under them.....

The psychology between a high reserve and low/no reserve and low start or high starting bid has been written about quite a lot......quick Google search throws up some decent articles

Did a quick search here on Namepros and found the below - some interesting comments, probably a few more threads on here if you play around with the search box.....

https://www.namepros.com/threads/disclosing-reserve-prices.905377/#post-5229712

It's not without risk, depends on how confident you/they are that the bidding will get to a level your happy with - boils down to individual choices at the end of the day.....

•••
Based on search volume, the word sucks. But, it's brandable so I think it has potential. Thanks for the info :xf.smile:.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back