NameSilo

I need advice for domain trademark issue.

Labeled as question in Legal Discussion, started by M0rd0r, Jun 14, 2021

Replies:
Views:

1. M0rd0r

M0rd0r Established Member

No, When I was saying a toy project I meant to develop a website on my free time as a hobbie related to wasps. I speak Catalan and I liked the name, that's all.

But it is true that Vespa is really known in motorcycle industry so I had to pay more attention when I registered this name.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. coolhands

coolhands Established Member

You don't need to pay any fees normaly and you don't need a Lawyer because you will lose in all case, And the one who will pay fee is Piaggio, They need to pay about $1500 to fill a case at Wipo.int + Lawyer fee

The court will be Online at WIPO.

And The Worst case scenario is giving them the domain for free after the final court decision, But if you have some history of registering vespa domains for profit they may claim compensation if domains causes damage for their Business reputation...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  3. Future Sensors

Future Sensors 78% of human domainers will be replaced by robots Gold Account

"While the UDRP is mandatory for domain holders, it is an optional procedure for mark holders."

https://revisionlegal.com/internet-law/the-udrp-process/

4. M0rd0r

M0rd0r Established Member

Uou! Thanks for the information.

5. Future Sensors

Future Sensors 78% of human domainers will be replaced by robots Gold Account

Only, it's not good legal advice.

6. comRaid

comRaid Established Member

Once a UDRP panel took away VisitQatar.com from the registrant.
    Last week it was reported that ARM.co was given to ARM.com (the parked page had ppc links)
    https://domaininvesting.com/tough-loss-on-arm-co-udrp/
    You can read UDRP decisions online, they normally do not accept any "planning to use argument". If the site was up and running as per your idea, you might have been in a better position.
    But if they decided to go to court, things could get even worse.
    https://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/news/us-court-fines-cybersquatter-1-2-million-4599
    Just my Opinion:Not Legal advice

7. iTesla

iTesla Established Member

I see it like this.
    Most companies think that one word belongs to them and anyone is forbidden from using it, if they really cared they should register all TLD's, ccTLDS etc related to Vespa.
    This Vespa word is even familiar to me, and what now, what if i want to make a game named Vespa which eats bugs, what i must pray to God Vespa Trademark?
    Trademark crap, if i hold such domains I invite this d****s to come and beg me to sell to them because I m not going to hand them free of charge any of my hand registerted domains :D, they should have think before with their small peanut brain.

8. Jason Baudendistel

Jason Baudendistel CEO Wibbets Inc

Your probably best walking away. Maybe you weren't thinking of the brand when you purchased it but 99.99% of people will have a hard time believing you. Not worth the headache.

9. jberryhill

jberryhill Top Member John Berryhill, Ph.d., Esq. PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Oh yeah? And what does "fun" mean in Catalan?

10. LUP

LUP Top Contributor VIP

Tell them you have a vespa at home

Hope everything will be fine.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  11. Josytal

Josytal Top Contributor VIP

Drop & Go.

12. NUMDN

NUMDN Restricted (Market)

There is no way you will win the case. If you ask anybody in the world about the word "vespa" they will give reference about vespa vehicles. Better gracefully close the matter. Cheers!

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice