Dynadot

discuss I have lost interest in domaining. What about you?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Reallybigidea.com

THIS DOMAIN SOLD. Username is not valid.Top Member
Impact
Hi,

I am not feeling ok without sales, my average sales in April total around mid xxx, meantime I spent much more on domain registrations because the domain addiction.

Currently listed around 100 dotcoms with bin $10 but they are are not selling.. . Is it only for me or not?

Please respond only real domainers with portfolios, do not respond affiliated registrar users and marketplace promoters (i do not belive in your reported cctld, new gtld sales for $xx,xxx...). I know what is marketing and understand your sales tactics.

#domainaddiction #domainbusiness

#domaininvesting is not really #investing because you can't liquidate your domains for reg-fee.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm not so sure I'm a "real domainer":xf.rolleyes: However I've been doing domains my way for the last three years, and it's been more fun than anything I've ever done professionally. I only say "professionally" because I've started, operated and named more than a dozen businesses since 1970. The one thing I can share, if you've lost your fervor than you should look elsewhere.

As an example of the kind of fun I'm talking about, yesterday after seeing Medina Spirit win the Kentucky Derby i registered the domain MedinaSpirit.online because 1. it was available and 2. it was just a buck.
As intellectual property I consider it a piece of art regardless whether I sell it or not.

I've probably registered a few hundred domains like this the last few years, and I just registered CatchandRelease.online because 1. it was available and 2. it was just a buck. The term "Catch and Release" is a term sport fishermen use when they catch a fish, any fish, whether it's a Big Marlin or a 1lb Catfish.

My attitude is more that of a hobbyist, but this is the first hobby I've had that actually pays:xf.smile:

Anyway....good luck to you(y)

We keep only hearing from you always that I REGISTERED and I JUST REGISTERED ..Thats it !!
Please .. Please ..We want to hear the phrase I SOLD and I JUST SOLD ..( Thats the most important ) !!

Last edited:
•••
•••
We keep only hearing from you always that I REGISTERED and I JUST REGISTERED ..Thats it !!
Please .. Please .. we want to hear the phrase I SOLD and I JUST SOLD ..( Thats the most important ) !!

I SOLD and I JUST SOLD, hows that:xf.grin: I'm more transparent than anyone on NamePros, and if you get in touch with me personally I'll share with you what I've done, but I'm not about to share with all the piss ant critics for obvious reasons:xf.confused:

Last edited:
•••
Also I would advise not to register any new domains for next 3 months minimum. Study, listen to podcasts and then carefully analyze before buying. Watch Domain Sherpa series with Michael Cyger & his guests and listen to Kickstart Commerce by Alvin Brown. Then act according to the tips they provide. Also it's free to watch.

Good luck :)

100% agree this is what you need. Moreover, DNAcademy would be the very best investment of your time and money at this point. Complete it and then start looking for new names in which to invest. Until then, buy no more.

•••
I personally can't call myself a domainer, but can definitely call myself a businessman. And in my humble way I go about things, I don't buy anything that I wouldn't want to use for my own business or businesses. I focus on the industries and niches that I'm familiar with and enjoy. I find myself buying domain name (1), but later I find domain name (2) which is better. I may make the choice to use domain name (2), then consider selling domain name (1) if I don't love it enough.

If I ever pay a lot for a domain name, it's because I would be the end user for it, and the profit from my business can more than cover the expense.

I've found that in my way of going about things, since i am already involved in a specific industry or niche, I am usually great at spotting great names. On one occasion, I've found that my bidding competition was another business in an industry that i know, and since they are well capitalized and in no way could I compete with them. My intuition is sometimes confirmed by the heavy competition at auctions for names that I've spotted, or even getting unsolicited offers.

I know my take is from an end user for point of view, but I think everyone who is in this business should take that perspective. If a domain name ain't worth using, it probably ain't worth buying.
Wow!.....while there are differences in our technique, I choose and buy domains as though I was either buying them for myself or for someone who hired me to buy their domain.

I enjoy this industry so much my Virginia License plates read "NAMEGUY" and when you're a business guy like me, this sort of exposure is invaluable. I'm in the market for a new/used vehicle, and after I saw the domain GanjaXpress displayed on the side of a van (on a landing page) i immediately knew I had to have the domain for myself especially since ganja was just legalized in my state.

•••
I recently sold my newly hand reg S/P/A/only in king for $60 lol but later i regretted ... On the next day I got email from a big whale (from spa industry) he wanted the domain but i already sold it. Big whale contacted me via my website email because new owner did not deleted url forwarding to my ReallyBigIdea.com website and big whale though that I am an owner.

So guys DO NOT SELL YOUR GREAT DOMAINS TOO CHEAP!

•••
I'm not so sure I'm a "real domainer":xf.rolleyes: However I've been doing domains my way for the last three years, and it's been more fun than anything I've ever done professionally. I only say "professionally" because I've started, operated and named more than a dozen businesses since 1970. The one thing I can share, if you've lost your fervor than you should look elsewhere.

As an example of the kind of fun I'm talking about, yesterday after seeing Medina Spirit win the Kentucky Derby i registered the domain MedinaSpirit.online because 1. it was available and 2. it was just a buck.
As intellectual property I consider it a piece of art regardless whether I sell it or not.

I've probably registered a few hundred domains like this the last few years, and I just registered CatchandRelease.online because 1. it was available and 2. it was just a buck. The term "Catch and Release" is a term sport fishermen use when they catch a fish, any fish, whether it's a Big Marlin or a 1lb Catfish.

My attitude is more that of a hobbyist, but this is the first hobby I've had that actually pays:xf.smile:

Anyway....good luck to you(y)

Thanks for sharing and I really like the way you go about things, which is great since you've been at it for a while and may have some financial cushion.

For someone like myself, I'm trying to stretch every dollar, and it is tough to buy a domain simply because it sounds good. I always think of the worse case scenario, in which I'm stuck paying the renewal fees. And if I'm not more than joyful to pay the renewal fees, I likely won't buy the domain. Thankfully, so far I've only bought a handful that I won't be renewing, selling those dirt cheap just to get them out the door.

•••
I recently sold my newly hand reg S/P/A/only in king for $60 lol but later i regretted ... On the next day I got email from a big whale (from spa industry) he wanted the domain but i already sold it. Big whale contacted me via my website email because new owner did not deleted url forwarding to my ReallyBigIdea.com website and big whale though that I am an owner.

So guys DO NOT SELL YOUR GREAT DOMAINS TOO CHEAP!

I don’t sell my good domains cheap. But that supposed BigWhale has some crappy taste as its not a very good name. Did the buyer sell it?

Much more likely it was the buyer pulling the world famous scam of pretending to be an interested buyer so that you beg him to buy it back for way more. No coincidence imo.

Last edited:
•••
One more thing.
Check with your wife or your girlfriend before making a decision.
They know everything - more than Google...

I think if some of us did that, we wouldn't be able to buy any haha. When they ask, how much did it cost? I respond with a different answer, "I just need to renew for around 10 bucks a year."

•••
Everyone wants domaining to be like investing in Bitcoin. Lol

90% of those into Bitcoin or crypto are losing money. It's also probably the same with domaining.

•••
90% of those into Bitcoin or crypto are losing money. It's also probably the same with domaining.
The difference is stocks/bitcoin are unpredictable and plays mind games. Domains are just as much patience, but a higher theoretical success rate.

•••
Thanks for sharing and I really like the way you go about things, which is great since you've been at it for a while and may have some financial cushion.

For someone like myself, I'm trying to stretch every dollar, and it is tough to buy a domain simply because it sounds good. I always think of the worse case scenario, in which I'm stuck paying the renewal fees. And if I'm not more than joyful to pay the renewal fees, I likely won't buy the domain. Thankfully, so far I've only bought a handful that I won't be renewing, selling those dirt cheap just to get them out the door.
Thanks for the compliment, and like you I renew less than 20% of my domains. When I arrived on the domain scene about three years ago domainers and even my rep at GD said "renewals can kill you", but they neglected to tell me I didn't have to renew a single domain.

Being a business guy not unlike myself you just need to develop a single domain successfully in order to stay in this game. That, or you need to sell just a few people on your domain. For example I spent a whopping $5 on the following names about an hour ago;

BuyaHouse.x/x/x
SellaHouse.xxxx
SellaHome.xxxxx
MakeADate.xxxx

Of course "if" these domains came with the extension .com they would be worth a small fortune. However they're simply not available in the .com. As a business person you should know these are great names left of the dot, and they need good care and attention in order to be profitable. Hint, they won't sell themselves.

Finally, i believe there's way to much emphasis put on single word domains or 3L or 4L domains. If I'm starting a business buying and selling homes I'm much better off with BuyaHome and SellaHome than simply "Home". While that's my opinion, i stand by it 100%:xf.smile:

•••
better get a couple of stylish names and don't register any more. let go the rest. walk more in the fresh air and spend time with family and friends. do not visit sites about domains. develop, monetize your pair of stylish hobby and business names. watch the movie I Feel Good (2018) )

Last edited:
•••
Why is this thread still going, this is the worst title to the most ridiculous thread. Further, all this doom and gloom might be tanking the market.

The OP (who seems like a nice guy, maybe a little depressive tho) wonders why he can't sell any domains @ $10, well here's a hint: I go to his website, I find one I want to buy for $10, there is no link to purchase and the site says I have to purchase through afternic since the domain is at namecheap and according to him there is no marketplace there (which there is). So basically he wonders why he can't sell $10 domains when there is absolutely no way to buy them even if you were interested in them because he hasn't figured out how to list them on epik, sedo, namecheap marketplace, etc.

I'd be disinterested in domaining too if I failed to list any of my domains on any of the marketplaces and therefore got no bites.

•••
Why is this thread still going, this is the worst title to the most ridiculous thread. Further, all this doom and gloom might be tanking the market.

The OP (who seems like a nice guy, maybe a little depressive tho) wonders why he can't sell any domains @ $10, well here's a hint: I go to his website, I find one I want to buy for $10, there is no link to purchase and the site says I have to purchase through afternic since the domain is at namecheap and according to him there is no marketplace there (which there is). So basically he wonders why he can't sell $10 domains when there is absolutely no way to buy them even if you were interested in them because he hasn't figured out how to list them on epik, sedo, namecheap marketplace, etc.

I'd be disinterested in domaining too if I failed to list any of my domains on any of the marketplaces and therefore got no bites.
Are you joking?
You can't sell domain for $10 on Sedo or Afternic, Namecheap has no own marketplace as Epik, Dynadot or Porkbun, showing Afternic listings only.

Namecheap domain for $10 you can purchase through PayPal if you are interested in any domain you can contact me at email. All information on my website.

•••
there is a way to sell $10 domains thru namecheap and stuff does sell there occasionally. go to the domain, then scroll to the bottom and click “sell domain”.

You can set up an ebay store so people can purchase..

Also namepros is probably the best place to sell $10 domains through paypal, you might have sold out by now if you had posted your $10 domains on the sales page here...

i am not sure why but i have this thing about contacting people on email and would never do it for just a $10 domain.. if you are going to sell domains through your web page then you must have a link to purchase immediately.. even if it’s just a paypal link ..

also have you tried nameliquidate.. you can sell $10 domains there even if the name isn’t registered at Epik.

if you are instead wondering about end user sales, i mean yeah that is what this business is all about,

anything you sell below say $100 and you are marketing primarily to domainers, two different worlds..

•••
let me tell you why your names are not selling. BUNCH OF MISSPELLED NAMES.......

•••
I don't want to discourage you but the truth is approx. 95% names are crap.
I would advise you go with the trend. Some words in domain names are in trend now. These are:

cloud
green
host
design
data
robot
herb and many others.

Try to grab some domain names from expired domain list based on the trending keywords....the domain should be meaningful, short, easy-to-understand. At first, please focus on only .com extension.

And, why are you not using a landing page of popular market place such as Dan, Afternic, Sedo etc.?

•••
Yes..I am giving my domain name for free or will not be renewing this year or delete it

•••
Domaining is all about patience, persistence and luck ... your/our domains are worthless until they are purchased by the end user. But of course there is some research (required) before any purchase (Hand Reg / BackOrder etc ...).

Don't buy based on your own preferences, but buy a selling domain that should at least sell for registration fees. Good luck and hope you will recover from your investment.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
nft digital assets first time ever edition atm instead for me.. (sell domains/renewal costs)

Last edited:
•••
•••
I think NamePros is a real Industry indicator. I have monitored some domain auctions - low activity low interest rate. That's one of the reasons why I created the thread.

before the reg or catch I make a deep research: similar domain sales on Namebio GoValue, how many taken in other gtlds, how many potential end users, CPC monthly searches...Sometimes I grab the name because it's really cool and such names are sells better..

My current list: https://www.reallybigidea.com/2021/03/BusinessNames.html

These are the worst registered domains in human history. congratulations.

•••
Back