IT.COM

I feel like I can't make money here

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

sartanion

Established Member
Impact
Hey!

Before I knew the rules I bought domains with no value, so I'm in loss, maybe that's the reason why I feel I can't make much money doing this.

Don't know, I am learning but it feels like in 2017 all domains with some value are registered and if you are trying to catch some expired, there is list of others that are waitin for this oppurtunity.

Any words that could cheer me up... please?
How much in loss have you ever been, did you buy domain for example for $100 and you couldn't sell it? (Sorry for asking this I just feel I need to :D ...)

Thanks! :D

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
regged on 7th feb 2017:

FundABetterFuture.com
JustWeCan.com
FunShirtz.com
SlimAb.com

and the day before:

NauticalDrone.com

•••
•••
Develop your names into blogs and perhaps you can sell it for a profit. No name is crap. If you have an idea and a plan, you can make a profit. Even the best domain portfolios have some lousy names which will never ever sell.

•••
i only get names i can visualize myself using for a site/idea. If you cant envision it no one else will either

•••
even i cant make money here

•••
•••
You have to ask yourself, how do people make money on real estate or land? That is how I see domain names.

Every piece of real estate is unique.
You can spend a lot of money for a small condo in New York City,
or you can spend very little money on a large land in the middle of nowhere.

You can buy an empty lot and develop it into a mall,
or you can buy a house when the market is down, then sell it when the prices go up.

People make money on real estate everyday, you just have to find your niche.

•••
Hey!

Before I knew the rules I bought domains with no value, so I'm in loss, maybe that's the reason why I feel I can't make much money doing this.

Don't know, I am learning but it feels like in 2017 all domains with some value are registered and if you are trying to catch some expired, there is list of others that are waitin for this oppurtunity.

How much in loss have you ever been, did you buy domain for example for $100 and you couldn't sell it? (Sorry for asking this I just feel I need to :D ...)

Mostly all domains with any value have been registered for a long time.. Don't get hung up on hand registering crap domains. Pick up good quality .com, .net, .co and .io for example, through expiring auctions.

There's lots of pieces to the puzzle, buying good domains is one of the pieces, being able to sell domains is another.

You gotta work to sell domains, you gotta want the money, put in the time. You need to reach out to let people know your domains for sale and where it is for sale. I use afternic to sell names... I point the DNS to afternic buy it now pages (ex. mediastall.com ). I use nameserver.io to create nameservers to point my domains. Then I make sure to add a buy it now price and they get added to the afternic premium network where they are listed at hundreds of other registrars. Figure out what works for you, but you gotta grind, when your tired of grinding, you gotta grind harder. Or you can sit and wait for years to sell your names.

Last edited:
•••
There is a pretty steep learning curb when you first start. I started back in 2014 and didnt sale 1 domain. I decided in January of this year to try it again. I like what winst said in regard to real estate and domains. I buy domains to sale to end buyers so I send out a lot of emails but I am getting great results. Figure out what types of domains you want to buy. Keep reading these forums as I learn new things here all the time. If your selling to end buyers that means you have to put the time in to be successful.

•••
Mostly all domains with any value have been registered for a long time.

that really is utter nonsense

think of drones
of self driving cars
and flying cars

all related domains have been hand regged only shortly

today you may think of
land on mars / moon
or properties deep in the ocean

and think of new companies
that need a name for their business

Last edited:
•••
listen to the pro, or do whatever works for you. My 8 years in the industry have shown me its best to invest in solid domains with sale history that many would benefit from owning. Guess my years of experience and my annual $xx,xxx - $xxx,xxx income from domaining is nonsense... END

Last edited:
•••
•••
listen to the pro, or do whatever works for you. My 8 years in the industry have shown me its best to invest in solid domains with sale history that many would benefit from owning. Guess my years of experience and my annual $xx,xxx - $xxx,xxx income from domaining is nonsense... END

WoW

so you must be right then

•••
I personally own 300 names but 3 or 4 names in that portfolio are worth their weight in gold....which I could have reverse about half my names. If you want to feel good about your names go to namebio.com and see what sold yesterday....for example 653333.com sold for $4400.....just when i was thinking of dropping my 6 number.com

We wrote an article on 10 common mistakes noobs make when selling
https://news.toughdomains.com/2016/03/25/1o-makes-new-domain-buyers-make/

•••
that really is utter nonsense

think of drones
of self driving cars
and flying cars

all related domains have been hand regged only shortly

today you may think of
land on mars / moon
or properties deep in the ocean

and think of new companies
that need a name for their business

drones.com Created on 1998-03-03 (19 years ago)

selfdrivingcars.om Created on 2003-08-19 (14 years ago)

flyingcars.com Created on 2002-03-20 (15 years ago)

fusionenergy.com (not yet invented) Created on 2000-01-02 (15 years ago)

landonmars.com Created on 2006-06-21 (11 years ago)

propertiesdeepintheocean.com available! (but violates my rule of no articles in names eg thefacebook.com)

I would say most names that will be in demand with many companies were registered over 10 years ago....but there are still lots of names that havent that will sell for thousands and more. One of my favorite filters in an auction is domain age (more than 10 years...)

Last edited:
•••
you need to know where to find names and have a good eye for picking them. there is no easy fruit left on the tree's. Even the expired auctions have become pricey as more prospectors get into the game.

•••
One of my sayings is "you've got to invest money to lose money"

My tip to newbies. - learn how to sell or profit from names before you start buying them ( note - I said buying not registering )

•••
agree with @Kuffy
you may go through cycles of buying, hand reging, expired lists, auctions and back to hand reg....

domaining is Tough!!! (pun intended :xf.grin:)

Last edited:
•••
Hey keep at it. Nothing has changed, except for the apetite, good names are still good names, and the outside world is still rolling. I think that this time last year, there was a lot of hype on a few domains types that should have not been, and it caused a lot of action here / more money rolling around.

I think that this could be the perfect time for you to bulk up your portfolio as it is what I am doing right now and I find many people are happy to sell stuff cheap, in reaction to the slowdown.

The thing about this business is it relies so heavily on the outside world, so while NP in itself is a little slow right now, it does not mean busnesses dont need domain names, try some outside methods, search for some names that YOU personally would be able to put content up on, not just a name that you think sounds cool, but if you know right away a use for the domain, it will give you a springboard where you might be able to look for the right buyer.

Keep in mind people buy here to sell to eachother again, but also to sell to people outside of the market who actually need the name, and wont just be an addition to their portfolio. If you owned buyglue.com and found a company with a site developed at buy-glue.com -> they will pay you more then someone scanning thousands of domains a day.

Slowdowns are always going to happen, but its the perfect time to prepare for the next rush. Also - think about this, the more people buy here - the higher the average price of a domain will go. If someone theoretically bid $1 on every single auction on namepros, - > All of a sudden the floor price is $2 =) not trying to hint that we pump it up or anything, but if more people buy here, it will inturn result in a much healthier marketplace for all

•••
drones.com Created on 1998-03-03 (19 years ago)

selfdrivingcars.om Created on 2003-08-19 (14 years ago)

flyingcars.com Created on 2002-03-20 (15 years ago)

fusionenergy.com (not yet invented) Created on 2000-01-02 (15 years ago)

landonmars.com Created on 2006-06-21 (11 years ago)

propertiesdeepintheocean.com available! (but violates my rule of no articles in names eg thefacebook.com)

I would say most names that will be in demand with many companies were registered over 10 years ago....but there are still lots of names that havent that will sell for thousands and more. One of my favorite filters in an auction is domain age (more than 10 years...)

WheelDrones.com created 2015
NauticalDrone.com dropped / caught 2017

stop weaning
become creative

Last edited:
•••
whats a wheel drone? is that a drone with wheels like a car?

•••
•••
Hey!

People learn from mistakes and you will eventually earn a lot in this field.
just hang in there. It gets better with time as you learn. Good luck.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back