IT.COM

debate I enjoy dropping names. Crazy?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
Hello,

My aim is to make my portfolio (significantly) better each year, so I actually "enjoy" dropping about 1/4 of my names annually. I don't see these dropped names as a complete waste of money and time, because:

1. I hopefully learned something on the way. The names were potential sale items, but maybe not competitive enough or maybe not fairly priced?! Also, market trends changes and honestly, sometimes I buy ridiculous names.

2. I can make the portfolio better with replacing the drop with a better name, without making it larger and more costly to own.

Any thoughts on this? How do you reason?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As a matter of interest there was one domain I was unsure about dropping. It's the only one.

Interested to know what others think. The domain was desktop dot mx. Killer keyword and Estibot value of 16K. It was a hand reg so I paid my dues (I can't remember how much but about $30) and had it for 12 months.

I have another business and didn't put in anytime to sell it -- my bad I know. I think even if I did it would only have got a few hundred bucks IMO. For the work needed to sell it -- well -- not worth the effort really.

Maybe it's the one that got away.

Probably not.

I just dropped it.

Best,
Paul

•••
you are not crazy to dropping domains
but you are crazy enjoying it

I hate it!

•••
Hello,

My aim is to make my portfolio (significantly) better each year, so I actually "enjoy" dropping about 1/4 of my names annually. I don't see these dropped names as a complete waste of money and time, because:

1. I hopefully learned something on the way. The names were potential sale items, but maybe not competitive enough or maybe not fairly priced?! Also, market trends changes and honestly, sometimes I buy ridiculous names.

2. I can make the portfolio better with replacing the drop with a better name, without making it larger and more costly to own.

Any thoughts on this? How do you reason?
Just dont drop Thesoap.com

•••
Considering I'm a first starter, I expect to drop at least 25% of my portfolio. But, moving forward, this percentage will drop as well insha a'Allah.

•••
Tell you what -- from my experience and what I see -- I bet most people new to domaining drop 99% of their domains.

I know I did. Some of my first buy's were bad. I mean bad.

There is no quick fix anymore with this anymore. The world changes and things move on. Phones are replacing computers -- maybe apps will replace internet domains.

There's a thought !

Best,
Paul

•••
Just dont drop Thesoap.com

Living in a home with only females. I feel safe. Hahaha.

Ps. I also try to stay away from the prison they have on this island. 30 inmates in each cell. No good place to dropyoursoap.com!

•••
My aim is to make my portfolio (significantly) better each year, so I actually "enjoy" dropping . . . my names annually.
I do the same thing each year. I don't enjoy it, but it's a necessity in this business when you hold a large portfolio. Things change, and you need to adapt your portfolio to keep up with the times. If you don't, you're throwing away money every year.

•••
Learning to drop domains is just as important as learning to buy the right ones.

•••
You shouldn't think of it this way, it's really just confirming a loss.

•••
I too like to drop. I recently haf a domain auto renew itself and I told the registrar to cancel it. They asked do you want to transfer out? I said nope I am dropping.

But sometimes I offer to any user that previously offered me some money ...and tell him or her I am giving for free.

•••
I don't see these dropped names as a complete waste of money and time

Well, dropped domains are never a good thing. You are just looking on the bright side. But don't get me wrong, I like the twist here... This is a good point to be made. You are right, a drop domain is not ALL bad.

•••
Gotta add. If you drop a domain it's hardly a life changing decision. If you regged it for peanuts then it's not going to break the bank.

If you paid $$$$$'s for it then the chances are you will renew. If you handregged for $30 bucks then it's not really a problem to let it go after 12 months. It's a bit like chucking $30 in a fruit machine - you may hit the jackpot and make $100 but the chances are you won't. I think the days of making big bucks in this game are long gone -- certainly if you are just entering it. There are some exceptions to that rule though -- fair play to them.

Best,
Paul

•••
This is why I keep a relatively small portfolio. I hate buying names to eventually drop them, so instead I just increase my threshold for quality when acquiring new names and focus my time on selling fewer names. Renewals can be killer also.

Even small portfolio needs screening and drop bad ones among them.if found any bad ones among them. Cheers.

•••
Thanks for your answers!

My current 25 percent drop rate is too high. My goal is to land at about ten percent starting from the end of this year.

I'm dropping both new gTLDs, .COMs, .NETs, .ORGs and .PROs. I have many 4L .ORG chips, but will probably only keep the ones with nice patterns and try to sell the rest at reg fee. At least if the prices goes up again.

Please let me know when you are selling the chips for reg fee.
Cheers

•••
Thanks for the thread - I'm learning quality over quantity daily. I wish I'd learned the lesson 5 months ago. I already know I'm going to have to drop a number of the names I own. Thankfully, I have another 6 months or so to try to sell some, even at reg fee.

Btw, it's very distracting when you're trying to learn from others on a thread, and someone comes out of nowhere and starts posting crap. (not you guys @trp3 and @Jurgen Wolf: I actually want to hear more about what you guys were talking about - maybe create a new thread??????) Thanks.

This is why domainers needs to drop names from time to time because learning is a contineous process and if stopped learning, there would be know more advance knowledge, humans are not made to remain unchanged. Thanks

•••
It's better to admit the mistake and correct it as soon as possible than repenting later. This holds true for any business. So, instead of keep holding on crappy domains with an expectation of selling high in future, it's always pertinent to prune out the weeds. That's why, leaner and meaner portfolio is better than a bulky portfolio with rubbish domains.

•••
It's better to admit the mistake and correct it as soon as possible than repenting later. This holds true for any business. So, instead of keep holding on crappy domains with an expectation of selling high in future, it's always pertinent to prune out the weeds. That's why, leaner and meaner portfolio is better than a bulky portfolio with rubbish domains.

Totally agree!

•••
Every three years or so my portfolio changes a bit due to acquisitions and drops. For newbies, many domains you believe are valuable today you will look back years from now and be glad you are no longer renewing them.

•••
If properly parked, i mean content you can keep them and still make a fortune

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back