Dynadot

debate I enjoy dropping names. Crazy?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
Hello,

My aim is to make my portfolio (significantly) better each year, so I actually "enjoy" dropping about 1/4 of my names annually. I don't see these dropped names as a complete waste of money and time, because:

1. I hopefully learned something on the way. The names were potential sale items, but maybe not competitive enough or maybe not fairly priced?! Also, market trends changes and honestly, sometimes I buy ridiculous names.

2. I can make the portfolio better with replacing the drop with a better name, without making it larger and more costly to own.

Any thoughts on this? How do you reason?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is why I keep a relatively small portfolio. I hate buying names to eventually drop them, so instead I just increase my threshold for quality when acquiring new names and focus my time on selling fewer names. Renewals can be killer also.

•••
If were not received any offers during 2 (max. 3) years + traffic is very weak = such domain must be dropped in 95% of cases.
This is my POV.

•••
This is why I keep a relatively small portfolio. I hate buying names to eventually drop them, so instead I just increase my threshold for quality when acquiring new names and focus my time on selling fewer names.
This.
Dropping names is part of normal portfolio maintenance, but if you hesitate on too many names, you probably didn't pick outstanding names anyway.

Number #1 rule: quality > quantity.
Inescapable, those who ignore the rule always learn it the hard way (or they don't).

•••
Agree with kohsamui, there's a secret pleasure in dropping domains :P

•••
Thanks for your answers!

My current 25 percent drop rate is too high. My goal is to land at about ten percent starting from the end of this year.

I'm dropping both new gTLDs, .COMs, .NETs, .ORGs and .PROs. I have many 4L .ORG chips, but will probably only keep the ones with nice patterns and try to sell the rest at reg fee. At least if the prices goes up again.

•••
While one side is dropping domains, the other side is searching for dropped domains.
If you will never find a domain of your dropped ones in a good sale in future you choose the right ones ;)

•••
While one side is dropping domains, the other side is searching for dropped domains.
If you will never find a domain of your dropped ones in a good sale in future you choose the right ones ;)

At least 80 percent of the domains I buy are recent drops. Either snapped by a drop catch service, or by myself.

•••
Nothing wrong in dropping names that don't have value or would make you a ROI.Some of the names I buy from portfolios in here,I may like just 3 out of the whole names and would let the others drop because I only liked a couple of them that would bring me a ROI in the long term and I make sure I don't pay too much for the portfolio of names.

•••
@kohsamui , i took a look at your site... Ever heard about page title? You'd better fix that. Everything looks great but this little stuff ruins everything.

•••
@kohsamui , i took a look at your site... Ever heard about page title? You'd better fix that. Everything looks great but this little stuff ruins everything.

Thanks. Fancy .domains is currently frame-forward to: yenit.com/domains. At that page all the meta data and tags are added. Soon, I will integrate the real domain. I just have had too much to do with some other things.

But, you are right, I'll add the meta data today also to the frame forwarding... Thanks for the tips!

•••
Thanks for the thread - I'm learning quality over quantity daily. I wish I'd learned the lesson 5 months ago. I already know I'm going to have to drop a number of the names I own. Thankfully, I have another 6 months or so to try to sell some, even at reg fee.

Btw, it's very distracting when you're trying to learn from others on a thread, and someone comes out of nowhere and starts posting crap. (not you guys @trp3 and @Jurgen Wolf: I actually want to hear more about what you guys were talking about - maybe create a new thread??????) Thanks.

•••
I dropped a lot of domains from when I first started full time domaining; they weren't the best picks and did not deserve a long-term investment.

It's smart to cut the fat, but once it's cut don't add more 'fat' to your portfolio.

These days I will rarely drop a domain because I invest in domains above $500.

Good luck to all.

•••
The only painful part of a purge is noticing your drops were picked up by Huge or Buy and now have juicy pricing. Doesn't mean they will sell, but it does make you second guess.

•••
The only painful part of a purge is noticing your drops were picked up by Huge or Buy and now have juicy pricing. Doesn't mean they will sell, but it does make you second guess.

They buy thousands of domains every day; at or near little to no cost because of their registrar status. Most of those domains are complete garbage and will never sell because the 'good' ones are being bought by investors.

So they can buy 1k domains for almost $1000 USD (or less), then hope that maybe 20 or 30 of them will sell for $x,xxx.

When you see a domain picked up by HD don't let that give you any pause.

•••
(not you guys @trp3 and @Jurgen Wolf: I actually want to hear more about what you guys were talking about - maybe create a new thread??????) Thanks.
I just answered all questions to me.
Maybe is better to read before posting???

•••
Useless domain names need to be dropped, definitely.

•••
I just answered all questions to me.
Maybe is better to read before posting???

Don't want to distract, but dude, I was actually saying that the question and answer between you and @trp3 was very beneficial. Looks like you missed that, or maybe I'm missing something here?

•••

Yes, that can bug you, but keep in mind they have many, many lower quality names.

They also play a numbers game by owning an enormous number of names and selling many at lower prices than we might accept for the same names.

I have seen my names wind up on their platform and also have picked up a few of theirs as well.

It is good to remember though that there is a time for a name when nobody is interested, and then later someone comes along who wants that name.

Who ever owns that name, at that time, makes the sale.

It might be you who makes the sale, or the next owner, or the owner after that.

This is the nature of the business.

•••
Dropping domains its like taking a big dump in the bathroom, who doesnt enjoy that? lol

You feel lighter after going # 2, its a relief AHHHHH, everybody should feel the same after dropping crappy domains. And whats funny, its that a lot of creepy domainers love to dig in the drop trash can to buy all the crappy trashy domains that previous owners dont want anymore!

Your Trash is others "gold"! lol Trash Diggers "domainers"! ahahahaha

•••
At least 80 percent of the domains I buy are recent drops. Either snapped by a drop catch service, or by myself.
If you're paying upwards of ~$60 per for these, then dropping anywhere near 25% a year later, then there's something inherently wrong with your choices IMO. Even 10-15% would be counterproductive over time, I think.

•••
If you're paying upwards of ~$60 per for these, then dropping anywhere near 40% a year later, or 25% then there's something inherently wrong with your acquisition strategy IMO. Even 10% would be counterproductive over time, I think.

Why?

As long as you sell enough names I can't see any problem. I sold about 13 percent of my names last year.

But, 25 percent drops is too much. I agree on that.

•••
I try to sell all domains that I plan to drop. I think even $1 is better than nothing. I support not renewing domains that aren't good by normal standards, but whether I get a few dollars or one dollar, I like that better.

I have also noticed that pretty much any domain gets snatched from the free section. If it doesn't, it's gotta be really bad.

•••
I think you should certainly try and sell before dropping. Why not put them on a no reserve auction on here ? At least you might get something -- if it doesn't sell just let it drop. It's hasn't cost you anything except a few minutes of your time.

I did this after I went a bit mad buying a few dot IOs. I pretty much got my reg fee back so it was better than nothing.

Best,
Paul

•••
I think you should certainly try and sell before dropping. Why not put them on a no reserve auction on here ? At least you might get something -- if it doesn't sell just let it drop. It's hasn't cost you anything except a few minutes of your time.

Personally, I often do that. Great advice.

•••
You are absolutely right gTLDs are a hard sale for domainers these days. Infact most traders have pretty much lost all faith in them. That being said, from an Entrepreneurs perspective they could still be great alternatives to hefty 5-6-7 figure price-tagged .COMs.

But on a mass usage scale, now is not yet their time!

I have dropped 129 so far this year, mostly $1 Happy Hour Frenzied Registrations.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back