Dynadot

question I bought a one word domain that seems too good to be true.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

reglas123

Impact
Hello,

Yesterday, I was just randomly typing in names on GD (GoDaddy) and out of nowhere I found a one word .com available on an auction with a buy now price of only a couple thousand dollars. I instantly purchased it. However, I feel like it is too good to be true because this domain should be worth 100x what I paid for it. It has yet to transfer into my GD account, and I looked up the WhoIs and it is under some corporate domain registrar. Is it possible for someone to falsely list a domain on GD? Is there any luck that I actually snagged a diamond?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are multiple possibilities, but IMHO, it's easier to find a one word .com domain name unregistered, than to get it at a low price in GoDaddy Auction :giggle:

•••
Upvote 0
This happens occasionally for old listing. I once purchased a 3 letter com for $900 and later got a response that it was a old listing.
Anyway good luck.

•••
Upvote 0
•••
Upvote 0
a new member tag ... and buying diamond for a buck always ends in same way. its beyond predictable.

•••
Upvote 0
This happens occasionally for old listing. I once purchased a 3 letter com for $900 and later got a response that it was a old listing.
Anyway good luck.
Exactly, I think this may be caused by godaddy's poor cache clearing time problem, they have a huge list and it takes time to update the cache. It would be good luck if you could get that, but you won't lose anything anyway.

•••
Upvote 0
•••
Upvote 0
and it seems that without txt verification, it is not possible to include it in the auction list
Well. The three citicorp.com nameservers listed for Finance.com are not even configured for the domain. It's a lame delegation. Setting a txt record for the domain will be very difficult this way. But it's clear that the owner is CitiBank.

•••
Upvote 0
Well. The three citicorp.com nameservers listed for Finance.com are not even configured for the domain. It's a lame delegation. Setting a txt record for the domain will be very difficult this way. But it's clear that the owner is CitiBank.
:xf.eek: Well...Ha, hard to refute the case. I came to that conclusion from my own listing of the auction process. But going through this thread made me realize that this is a real problem that needs to be solved, and hopefully @GoDaddy will be addressed and improved in the future.

•••
Upvote 0
New member, finding a diamond in GD Rough, should’ve indicated instantly that it’s going to be a NO GO 🙅‍♂️

•••
Upvote 0
I want to develop Sports Dot Com -

it is owned by Lottery Dot Com

Ticker : LTRY

Cheers !

•••
Upvote 0
Hello everyone, unfortunately it was too good to be true. I just got an email from godaddy giving me a full refund. I had some doubts, especially after realizing that anyone can list something on AfterNic without ownership, and that listing would appear on godaddy/namecheap etc. For anyone interested the domain name was finance . com. Sucks that it didn't turn out the way I wished, but thanks for all the replies and comments. I hope everyone has better luck than me if you ever find a diamond.
Finance.com ok, it is really too good to be true...thanks for the sharing, have a rest and lets forget it and move forward....😂

•••
Upvote 0
Hello everyone, unfortunately it was too good to be true. I just got an email from godaddy giving me a full refund. I had some doubts, especially after realizing that anyone can list something on AfterNic without ownership, and that listing would appear on godaddy/namecheap etc. For anyone interested the domain name was finance . com.
Frankly, that's a bit like me finding bitcoin.com / bank.com on sale with a 5k bin. I'd probably laugh why Gd had allowed such a listing.

•••
Upvote 0
A couple of weeks ago, I had a guy actually call me on the phone regarding one of my domains. He had bought it on GD for $xxx only to have the order cancelled and his money refunded. It was apparently an old listing.

We had a nice conversation and I explained that in fact, the domain was listed for sale but at a higher, more appropriate price. We spoke for a while and he agreed the domain was worth the price I am asking.

Hopefully he will make a decision to buy at my price or close.

These things do happen but usually if a price seems too good to be true, it usually isn't accurate.

•••
Upvote 0
DM to domain name, i think your very lucky person

•••
Upvote 0
I've had this happen numerous times. If I recall correctly (it was a long time ago), someone at GoDaddy told me it was a problem with some of their partners and their domain verification. So if you manage to list it through one of their partners, GoDaddy will pick up the listing. Apparently they haven't solved the problem.

•••
Upvote 0
Hello everyone, unfortunately it was too good to be true. I just got an email from godaddy giving me a full refund. I had some doubts, especially after realizing that anyone can list something on AfterNic without ownership, and that listing would appear on godaddy/namecheap etc. For anyone interested the domain name was finance . com. Sucks that it didn't turn out the way I wished, but thanks for all the replies and comments. I hope everyone has better luck than me if you ever find a diamond.
You paid $5k on 4/24 and got it refunded on 4/29.
So, your $5K was held for five days without any cost to the holder.

Cost of funds varies with the transacting parties: Intra-bank (at Federal rates) is about 5%, while B2C (like credit cards) is 30% or more. Not a big deal for you individually, but for the intermediate beneficiary, that's a way big deal.

Imagine if the system allowed such fund holding from hundreds or even thousands of such (apparently fake) auctions! Can anyone guess how much of such funds could be at the intermediate beneficiary's disposal on any given day?

Last edited:
•••
Upvote 0
Good afternoon.

If the name that you have is 'Investor.com' then I hate to break it to you but it is actually 'Lnvestor' and not 'Investor'.

I hope that it is not, but the chances of you getting a 'diamond' on an auction at GD are low.

If and when it is in your account maybe you can come back here and let us know what you have.

Rgrds,

Reddstagg
You might be right. I got tricked into this as well couple of months back. Bought 3 .xyz one word domains in a hurry with BIN. All three domains with thinking "i" in front of them but it turned out to be "L". Lesson learned. Do you homework first.

Thanks

•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back