IT.COM

I asked for help and now they won't answer me.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Daniel Mac Sweeney

DanielMacSweeney.comTop Member
Impact
Hi there,

Three months ago I posted here on NamePros for help, For someone to take my stuff from my hosting, keep it on theirs, cos I couldn't download it as I'd no laptop at the time only my iPhone, only until I found a new hosting account & laptop which I now have both.

I've had great help from others here before, great help and even this person sounded very helpful and kind.

I accepted and once they took my content from my hosting the person lost contact with me.

I've messaged them a few times but the person won't answer me back at all. Even though they are here still viewing forums.

I don't want anyone else to trust this person here,

I am really annoyed and feel pretty stupid for trusting someone I don't know.

I am going to give them another few hours before I name them and shame them.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
Why asking someone you don't know for a free help, when you can hire skilled people to do that for cheap?

•••
Why asking someone you don't know for a free help, when you can hire skilled people to do that for cheap?
What I've done since

•••
@solcatalyst have you got something to Say???
or are you not going to reply here also?

•••
Did you ever call her phone number?

•••
Why did you ask someone with 95 messages and 0 likes for help? That would have sent alarm bells off for me.

Have you tried calling her as @johname suggested or messaging her on Linkedin?

•••
maybe they accidnetally lost it and are ashamed and shy to admit
there could be people like this around
there is all kinds of people around

•••
Have you tried messaging her personal email account?

•••
Three months ago I posted here on NamePros for help, For someone to take my stuff from my hosting, keep it on theirs, cos I couldn't download it as I'd no laptop at the time only my iPhone, only until I found a new hosting account & laptop which I now have both.

Are you saying that you had someone access your hosting account and download the content, then make it live on their own hosting account? Or just store it there? Or store it on their laptop? Did you agree to pay for this? Do you have backups? Why not just leave it there till you had new hosting?

•••
Are you saying that you had someone access your hosting account and download the content, then make it live on their own hosting account? Or just store it there? Or store it on their laptop? Did you agree to pay for this? Do you have backups? Why not just leave it there till you had new hosting?

isn't there some way this situation can be transfered onto a cloud storage in this particular case? there gotta be.

•••
I'm kinda on the fence about naming and shaming this person publically.

If there was no contract, or money involved, it was just a freebie or a favour gone sour, I'm not sure you can rubbish someone's name like this.

But I do hope the situation resolves itself for you.

Try to call, email on personal account, message on Linkedin, send a letter to home address.

•••
Hosting was running out and my laptop broke that week and I couldn't get a new one till the week after.
I am not worried about the stuff that was on the Hosting too much but thats not the point.

It is I asked for help, I got it and then the person would not talk to me after and give me back my stuff, I made the mistake, and I was hoping that by posting this that they would get back to me as they would not with the private messages.

I don't want anyone else to fall into the trap of trusting someone too easy and make the same mistake I did.
maybe they accidnetally lost it and are ashamed and shy to admit
there could be people like this around
there is all kinds of people around
Maybe,
Thats fine 2. But they could just let me know that it happened and we can get on with it.
I made a mistake.
I never transferred before and was not too sure how to do it.
I was going to renew but the bill was too much for me at the time.

•••
Let me get this right...
You asked someone you don't know to download your personal files from your hosting company which you could've uploaded to any of hundreds of cloud based servers for free and now you're threatening the person who did a free favor with public humiliation? Lmao

download.jpg

•••
Hosting was running out and my laptop broke that week and I couldn't get a new one till the week after.
I am not worried about the stuff that was on the Hosting too much but thats not the point.

It is I asked for help, I got it and then the person would not talk to me after and give me back my stuff, I made the mistake, and I was hoping that by posting this that they would get back to me as they would not with the private messages.

I don't want anyone else to fall into the trap of trusting someone too easy and make the same mistake I did.

Maybe,
Thats fine 2. But they could just let me know that it happened and we can get on with it.

I made a mistake.
I never transferred before and was not too sure how to do it.
I was going to renew but the bill was too much for me at the time.
Hon, I suggest move on and never trust words again. Most of all, stored this in your long term memory brain= nothing is.free

•••
Was that your only copy of the files? Has the old hosting been closed?

•••
Was that your only copy of the files? Has the old hosting been closed?
Unfortunately ya...
I make backups of everything now.

•••
How much content? Is it frontend content or were there nonpublic files? Possible to retrieve off archive.org?

•••
How much content? Is it frontend content or were there nonpublic files? Possible to retrieve off archive.org?
Oh I'll have a look there.
Thanks.

•••
Wow. People never cease to amaze me. @Daniel Mac Sweeney ..... it has been months since I've been active here on namepros. Life happens and unexpected things like death of a family member occur which take anybody's focus and attention elsewhere. Not that I owe you anything, but you should know I never even got the chance to log into your hosting to retrieve any of your files. I was doing you a favor, no strings attached out of the kindness of my heart. I am sorry you feel some "great injustice" has been inflicted upon you, and feel it necessary to go to such great lengths to speak up about "assumed" damages without any actual damage or injustice to note occurring.
Did you ever think to ask your hosting company for a log of successful logins to the server where your website was being hosted? If you had managed hosting any transaction or instance occurring on a server is tracked. You could have easily dispelled any fear of your files being "stolen" or "held hostage" in doing your homework. every website and every single digital asset I have are nobody's responsibility to manage. If I do not have the resources to enact something needed, and it is anything of great value to me, i find a way. I am all too trusting of an individual myself and have had very real - serious damages occur at the cost of my own negligence. I am a big enough girl to have the awareness to place blame where blame is due.
FYI .... I have an iPhone too, which has my google drive downloaded to it. Dropbox has a free account, among hundreds of other cloud storage providers. I've been without my laptop at times. There are libraries with free computer access, and in most cases we all have friends with a desktop PC or a laptop which are often more than happy, if we ask to let us use it for 15 minutes to download and shoot a file to a USB drive or to a google drive.
Your files, and your website are not valuable to me or anybody else at the same level that you value them.
That is not said to minimize the value of your asset, it is stated merely as a fact. There are a lot of shady people out there, and I personally will never leave the fate of anything I value in another's hands. Not anybody I know, and not anybody I do not know.
I hope you were able to retrieve your site files. There are a myriad of ways to do so when situations like this occur. Wayback machine and a site cloner tool are just one of those.
Next time you feel like "publicly marring" somebody's rep .... think about YOUR part and whether any sincere damage occurred.

•••
Wow. People never cease to amaze me. @Daniel Mac Sweeney ..... it has been months since I've been active here on namepros. Life happens and unexpected things like death of a family member occur which take anybody's focus and attention elsewhere. Not that I owe you anything, but you should know I never even got the chance to log into your hosting to retrieve any of your files. I was doing you a favor, no strings attached out of the kindness of my heart. I am sorry you feel some "great injustice" has been inflicted upon you, and feel it necessary to go to such great lengths to speak up about "assumed" damages without any actual damage or injustice to note occurring.
Did you ever think to ask your hosting company for a log of successful logins to the server where your website was being hosted? If you had managed hosting any transaction or instance occurring on a server is tracked. You could have easily dispelled any fear of your files being "stolen" or "held hostage" in doing your homework. every website and every single digital asset I have are nobody's responsibility to manage. If I do not have the resources to enact something needed, and it is anything of great value to me, i find a way. I am all too trusting of an individual myself and have had very real - serious damages occur at the cost of my own negligence. I am a big enough girl to have the awareness to place blame where blame is due.
FYI .... I have an iPhone too, which has my google drive downloaded to it. Dropbox has a free account, among hundreds of other cloud storage providers. I've been without my laptop at times. There are libraries with free computer access, and in most cases we all have friends with a desktop PC or a laptop which are often more than happy, if we ask to let us use it for 15 minutes to download and shoot a file to a USB drive or to a google drive.
Your files, and your website are not valuable to me or anybody else at the same level that you value them.
That is not said to minimize the value of your asset, it is stated merely as a fact. There are a lot of shady people out there, and I personally will never leave the fate of anything I value in another's hands. Not anybody I know, and not anybody I do not know.
I hope you were able to retrieve your site files. There are a myriad of ways to do so when situations like this occur. Wayback machine and a site cloner tool are just one of those.
Next time you feel like "publicly marring" somebody's rep .... think about YOUR part and whether any sincere damage occurred.
Hi there, thank you so much for your really long message...

It's no problem, thank you for replying...

Thank you also for offering to help me also, it was really helpful...

I know it's my fault for not backing my own files up, I was new to hosting and didn't understand how to save my files but I have learned a lot since...

I did send you a few messages, thought you were a bit dodgy when you didn't get back to me after not replying to me for months...

You would have got a few emails that you got private messages from namepros...

Thanks for your time...
Thank you for replying...
No hard feelings...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back