Dynadot

I am planning to start a new domain registrar

NameSilo
Watch

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
Dear NP members,

I am planning to start a new domain name registrar within a year.

I am aware that there are tons of them, but I have to find one yet that would be excellent in most categories.

I would love to hear some feedback as to what are the most important factors you are looking for in a registrar.

Some things that I have already decided upon:

- Price (for .com) at under $10 for general public and at $8.49 for domain investors (don't like the term domainers)

- Rich interface and functionality

- Name: probably am going with Regz.com

- Focus on what sells (.com, .org etc.) and stop confusing customers with lots of bad extensions

Again, comments and feedback are appreciated

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Looking forward to it. I'll add some ideas here once I come up with anything relevant.

•••
What is the current cost to become a ICANN accredited registrar?

•••
Like the idea. Go for it. Will help in what I can.

Good luck! (y)

•••
To become an ICANN accredited registrar, you will need to pay the following initial costs:
  1. Application fee of $3,500 USD
  2. Annual fee of $4,000 USD (invoiced after approval of the application)
You will also need to show proof of at least $70,000 USD capital or be able to explain why you do not need this amount of working capital.

Once you are an ICANN accredited registrar - you will have to pay additional fees:
  1. The annual $4,000 USD fee mentioned above
  2. A quarterly ICANN fee - usually about $800 for smaller registrars
  3. The ICANN per domain fee of $0.18
  4. The registry fees (i.e. $7.85 for a .COM currently). This is usually deducted from your prepaid balance with the registry operator.

•••

To become an ICANN accredited registrar, you will need to pay the following initial costs:
  1. Application fee of $3,500 USD
  2. Annual fee of $4,000 USD (invoiced after approval of the application)
You will also need to show proof of at least $70,000 USD capital or be able to explain why you do not need this amount of working capital.

Once you are an ICANN accredited registrar - you will have to pay additional fees:
  1. The annual $4,000 USD fee mentioned above
  2. A quarterly ICANN fee - usually about $800 for smaller registrars
  3. The ICANN per domain fee of $0.18
  4. The registry fees (i.e. $7.85 for a .COM currently). This is usually deducted from your prepaid balance with the registry operator.

Something along those lines. I will use a third party consultancy to guarantee smooth registration with ICANN, so in total I expect around $20K for initial costs, including ICANN fee.

•••
- Price (for .com) at under $10 for general public and at $8.49 for general public

I think you made an error somewhere in here.

But what I would like (and what I feel many other people would like is simply:

1) simplicity and credibility. Keep it plain with no complications (I like your idea of avoiding alternative extensions) and just focus on what you need to do and don't screw around with the prices.

2) a marketplace. I think this thing alone would boost your popularity a lot. There are so many registrars missing good markets and providing just the barebones. If you could make a meaningful market, including auctions (similar to this forum) that would be great.

3) no godaddy bullshit. No charging for every single detail you can charge for. No charging for listing on the market and parking and no upselling of everything you can.

I think most are with me here.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
customer support is important, along with simplicity and reliability. Why not just be a reseller?

•••
I think you made have an error somewhere in here.

1) simplicity and credibility. Keep it plain with no complications (I like your idea of avoiding alternative extensions) and just focus on what you need to do and don't screw around with the prices.

2) a marketplace. I think this thing alone would boost your popularity a lot. There are so many registrars missing good markets and providing just the barebones. If you could make a meaningful market, including auctions (similar to this forum) that would be great.

3) no godaddy bullsh*t. No charging for every single detail you can charge for. No charging for listing on the market and parking and no upselling of everything you can.

You are right. I corrected the original post to say "for domain investors".

Very valuable point there. I don't want to do $0.99 promos for .com only to screw customers with 15 dollar renewals. Or force people to transfer in and out. Of course, if it is a registry promo, it will be passed along.

Marketplace: will be added at next phase, making sure it is not a half baked solution.

And, of course, won't be charging for "every single detail". Minimum upsell, for things like hosting and email solution, but hopefully with the possibility to choose to go straight to checkout.

•••
You are right. I corrected the original post to say "for domain investors".

Very valuable point there. I don't want to do $0.99 promos for .com only to screw customers with 15 dollar renewals. Or force people to transfer in and out. Of course, if it is a registry promo, it will be passed along.

Marketplace: will be added at next phase, making sure it is not a half baked solution.

And, of course, won't be charging for "every single detail". Minimum upsell, for things like hosting and email solution, but hopefully with the possibility to choose to go straight to checkout.

Sounds good. Get on with it and buzz me if you need any help 😁

•••
Don't compete with your own customers, for domains! Level the playing field and be transparent. Keep your aftermarket commission lower than your competitors! Good Luck!

•••
Dear NP members,

I am planning to start a new domain name registrar within a year.

I am aware that there are tons of them, but I have to find one yet that would be excellent in most categories.

I would love to hear some feedback as to what are the most important factors you are looking for in a registrar.

Some things that I have already decided upon:

- Price (for .com) at under $10 for general public and at $8.49 for domain investors (don't like the term domainers)

- Rich interface and functionality

- Name: probably am going with Regz.com

- Focus on what sells (.com, .org etc.) and stop confusing customers with lots of bad extensions

Again, comments and feedback are appreciated

Good luck to you but I can't imagine the juice being worth the squeeze.

•••
I think you made an error somewhere in here.

3) no godaddy bullsh*t. No charging for every single detail you can charge for. No charging for listing on the market and parking and no upselling of everything you can.

They are with you because they never ran a registrar, there is simply very little money in selling people domain names for $10.

•••
Hi,

As i am quite new for domains investor. i would prefer a lower price with smart and easy UI interface.

Thanks,
Arnat

•••
customer support is important, along with simplicity and reliability. Why not just be a reseller?

+1

I understand what you are thinking here but as we are domainers you are talking to here, we all have multiples of domains. Organization is key. Anything to detract from our domain organization is a negative.

Having all domains in one Registrar is critical for domain management for those of us who have hundreds or some with thousands even. So with that being written, I believe the bigger Registrars (GoDaddy, Uniregistry, etc.) are a bit more successful than others because they support a lot of extensions.

If I could get all of my domains into just one registrar i would in a heartbeat.

Just something to think about when you are making your decision into having just a few extensions or offering others as well.

Either way, it seems like a monstrous task. I wish you well.

Vito

•••
They are with you because they never ran a registrar, there is simply very little money in selling people domain names for $10.

That's where the marketplace cuts and parking cuts etc. come in.

As for the regs themselves, I'm no mathematician but I'm sure the lower price is evened out by more people inevitably buying names on that particular registrar. If it was the cheapest one in the game (and good otherwise), I'm sure I would use it.

•••
Just a shot in the dark, but maybe there’s a cost effective way to offer some sort of membership that entitles people to $5 .com renewals. If they pay a $100 a year and have at least a certain number of domains, or something like that

•••
Depending on how much you have to invest/don't mind working at a loss for a while ,I think perhaps offering the names at cost and making your profit from add-ons and the marketplace could be a strategy.

Edit: Whois privacy included though*. Domains with whois at cost price would enable you to get a big market share of domainers. Once popular, your marketplace can be extremely lucrative (even if not doing the regular 12-15% commission most sites charge).

Last edited:
•••
Perhaps the angle of Free awesome landers would help sway domainers to the new register. Feels you would need some carrot on a stick.

•••
What's wrong with NameSilo?

Probably nothing. I have an idea of few features/services that I could not find with anyone and that I am looking forward to providing.

Also, you need to have 500+ names to get $8.69 pricing with them.

•••

Reseller is dependent on a registrar to much and don't have enough possibilities to implement new features and services.

•••
Sounds good. Get on with it and buzz me if you need any help 😁

Of course! I will ) You too keep in touch via pm or here with any ideas/suggestions please ) thank you.

•••
@Recons.Com , buddy...
Count your money and plan your budget. Getting into Domain registration business might use up your savings and won't have good returns in near future.

Remember, Most domains are owned by Domain Investors like us and we don't want to pay regfee when we plan to buy a domain. See all threads here asking for discount coupons, etc. So, first year registration for any registrar is always going to be a negative marking in ledger books.

If you have a 5-10 year business plan set on the table, go for it. Future is good for Registrars, you just need to expand, not limit yourself to certain extensions.

•••
Back