IT.COM

poll I am at 5000+ now, how many domains in your "keeper" portfolio?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Number of domains in my "keeper" portfolio

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 0-100

• 101-500

• 501-1000

• 1001-2500

• 2501-5000

• 5001-7500

• 7501-10000

• 10001-15000

• 15001-25000

• 25001-50000

• 50000-100000

• 100000+

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
So, I finally crossed the 5000 threshold. Let's share here the portfolio sizes we currently have.

For the poll, I am asking to include only the keeper names, those you are likely to renew, not the heavily discounted names you are holding for a year only. But feel free to mention that portfolio size in the comments too.

As for my portfolio, It seems in past year I have more than doubled the size, buying over 2500 names just from GD auctions/closeouts. Most names are with the GD (see the screenshot) but I also have couple hundred at Epic, Dyna combined.

And I rarely drop names now, with probably under 1% being pruned.

5000.PNG

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
Thank you so much for the feedback. Hopefully, will be better in a month time. Also will be focusing on conversion and readiness for ad campaigns.

Great idea for a beautiful site 👍. How much traffic do you have on the 5k names and after monetizing the site would you estimate a significant AdSense income? Are you going to hire someone to write professional articles on branding or you will do this yourself? Thanks

•••
Thank you so much for the feedback. Hopefully, will be better in a month time. Also will be focusing on conversion and readiness for ad campaigns.

One suggestion .. keep a make offer form below the image with only two fields ..email and offer price

http://prntscr.com/swqdx8

fills up the white space and will get 2x inquiries

http://prntscr.com/swqet1 ..bottom links to white color

search not finding the right domain http://prntscr.com/swqf93 and http://prntscr.com/swqh3q (i was checking with text and categories )

filter search also seems to be not working

just some suggestions ..hope u dont take it wrong

•••
Great thread you started El....this is why I believe a broker with the right mindset can really kick butt in this industry, but they need to charge a fee like BB's to achieve their kind of results. This is why I believe in "outbound" marketing of domains so much. As we know from experience, few domains sell themselves:xf.frown: However, industry specific domains like for restaurant/food/spirits need to be sold directly to that industries participants. For example, to culinary students getting a degree in culinary science, or to managers or chefs of restaurants who are looking to go out on their own.

I don't know exactly what BB does to achieve a 2% sell thru rate, but I believe it must involve some outbound just like some of the big sales I see that go thru at Sedo. Their top brokers know what door to knock on and how to get in the door. And when they make a sale, they earn every penny of commission.

Thanks again for starting this thread El....it's one of the best threads on NP(y)

Thank you, sir.

The problem with the brokerage here is that selling each name involves lots of work and connections. So it doesn't make sense for most names in the sweet spot of pricing in 4 figures. Also, the names brokers want are kind of "door openers" for them. Imagine contacting a ceo of a company and saying I have "greatname.com" vs I have "anokname.com".

•••
Great idea for a beautiful site 👍. How much traffic do you have on the 5k names and after monetizing the site would you estimate a significant AdSense income? Are you going to hire someone to write professional articles on branding or you will do this yourself? Thanks

Thank you! I average about 1000/day on about 4600 names forwarded (the ones on BB, SH, BP forward there of course). It is good quality traffic too, with about 1/3 being USA and over 60% being USA/Canada/EU and other developed countries.

These are purely type-ins and social media/links of the domains. So huge upside. What I need is better conversion which I am working on. Articles: will be writing myself, as am working on a book on branding and some of the work will overlap )

Adsense: it would be peanuts they'd pay, much better to keep the site clean and focus on conversion.

Domains are an amazing asset! It would cost fortune to drive a quality audience of 350000+/year to your site, with about 115K USA and 200K developed countries, even more than what I am paying on renewals. And most domain investors are giving that away.

rightbrand-stats-june2020.PNG

Last edited:
•••
•••
One suggestion .. keep a make offer form below the image with only two fields ..email and offer price

http://prntscr.com/swqdx8

fills up the white space and will get 2x inquiries

http://prntscr.com/swqet1 ..bottom links to white color

search not finding the right domain http://prntscr.com/swqf93 and http://prntscr.com/swqh3q (i was checking with text and categories )

filter search also seems to be not working

just some suggestions ..hope u dont take it wrong

I always appreciate the feedback ) Yes, that is in my list I am preparing. The developer wants all bugs, issues, changes requested in one go. Hopefully, will hash out within a month and get the site ready for the growth phase.

•••
I'd say there are no more than 50 000 truly worthy strong .io names, just like it is the case with most cctlds. Compare that to millions of investment grade .coms
Could you share how you calculated that 50000 number?

•••
I only keep about 120 names each year. Drop-catch and hand-reg a few here and there. I sold most of my LLLL .com names back in the days. Most of my names are brandables, pronounceable, and short keywords and .com. Lots of inbound inquiries, but only interested $$$$ and up offers. Half are with a simple landing page, half are custom build Wordpress Multisite with unique newsfeed content for each domain.

•••
Could you share how you calculated that 50000 number?

Just a rough estimate. Let's say 5000-10000 really strong dictionary words, maybe all LL, LLL, some startup relevant word+word like digitallab, techcenter etc. At the end of the day, if it is 30000 or 70000 doesn't make much difference in the global scale. It is still less than 1% of investment grade .coms

Basically, if a domain in .com would be worth mid 5 figures and more and it is relevant for startups, it might make sense. Of course, with lots of possible exceptions.

•••
•••
So, I finally crossed the 5000 threshold. Let's share here the portfolio sizes we currently have.

For the poll, I am asking to include only the keeper names, those you are likely to renew, not the heavily discounted names you are holding for a year only. But feel free to mention that portfolio size in the comments too.

As for my portfolio, It seems in past year I have more than doubled the size, buying over 2500 names just from GD auctions/closeouts. Most names are with the GD (see the screenshot) but I also have couple hundred at Epic, Dyna combined.

Show attachment 157164

Congrats, your portfolio looks amazing! :)
None of my domains is worth more than any of your domains on that print screen :D
If you constantly purchase the domains for the right price, I don't think you'll get into trouble when renewals are coming :D

•••
Congrats, your portfolio looks amazing! :)
None of my domains is worth more than any of your domains on that print screen :D
If you constantly purchase the domains for the right price, I don't think you'll get into trouble when renewals are coming :D

Thank you!

If I want to play numbers game, I have to also budget brands as well. Not every startup can afford high xxxx to xxxxx names.

Some of the names I acquired in the past week are Cecond, Crediterra, EKLW, JEDM, WDJE, XDMV, Serveness, CredFirst, Heylix, SouthLegacy, Designalia, StandUpAndPlay, CinemaCrowd, TheOrigins, VisualContest, FarmersPartners, JrArts, MusicianBoard, Wallyford, LifeCowork, Invertie, FarmForth, BancoFinance, AutomateNews, SteerCloud, Fetons, BelugaLake, TownFort, Indexible, MadDragons, Blushen, L8LY, Thinie, CarePioneer, Selfnostics, Enfilter, LifePillars, Schoolum, Deutscherhof, LuxyLabs, Schraden, Blindon, BaggageZone, Renovaq, Curvoo, ThriveOnEarth, LetterPros, SkyImagery, FolksTech, Zenxus, Lexxor, Goodfort, TrendRug, HerbalTalks, AdLobby, Knippe, Singleiq, Sitling, CookNFeed,enjoylyfe, taskier, lighttron, edpact, canisgroup etc. 200+ names in 7 days.

•••
Thank you!

If I want to play numbers game, I have to also budget brands as well. Not every startup can afford high xxxx to xxxxx names.

Some of the names I acquired in the past week are Cecond, Crediterra, EKLW, JEDM, WDJE, XDMV, Serveness, CredFirst, Heylix, SouthLegacy, Designalia, StandUpAndPlay, CinemaCrowd, TheOrigins, VisualContest, FarmersPartners, JrArts, MusicianBoard, Wallyford, LifeCowork, Invertie, FarmForth, BancoFinance, AutomateNews, SteerCloud, Fetons, BelugaLake, TownFort, Indexible, MadDragons, Blushen, L8LY, Thinie, CarePioneer, Selfnostics, Enfilter, LifePillars, Schoolum, Deutscherhof, LuxyLabs, Schraden, Blindon, BaggageZone, Renovaq, Curvoo, ThriveOnEarth, LetterPros, SkyImagery, FolksTech, Zenxus, Lexxor, Goodfort, TrendRug, HerbalTalks, AdLobby, Knippe, Singleiq, Sitling, CookNFeed,enjoylyfe, taskier, lighttron, edpact, canisgroup etc. 200+ names in 7 days.

Nice name ..... Was all this acquired through expired auction or closeout?

Last edited:
•••
Congratulations upon building a solid portfolio for yourself.

Talking about keepers in my portfolio, they are at around 1500 to 1700 in my portfolio. Majority of them being .coms, followed by countable .org, .co, .co.uk.

The .coms comprises of hand regs from daily drop lists, closeout domains, backorders, and a few auction or aftermarket purchases.

Would be too early to consider the STR (of my .com domains only) here as I would like to see the domains mature for another year. But at the moment, that appear to be somewhere around 1%.

•••

Show attachment 157164
how much domains to you sale a year?

•••
•••
I've been holding steady at ~300 names total for around 3 years, but am up around 335 with recent purchases.

I used to have a "Keepers" folder. This is a good reminder to do that again.

I'm guessing there are about 100-150 names I'd be very reluctant to sell, or that have some other value or project attached to them.

I'd like to get back down to 300-ish names.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you!

Nice name ..... Was all this acquired through expired auction or closeout?

Thank you. Most of it closeout, of course. Some auctions like eklw, xdmw, TheOrigins, sparkwater, couple her on NP like jedm, wdje. The others are closeouts. Few auction names usually take as much funds as large bunch from closeouts though. Around $2K for the former, around $3K for the latter within the week.

I treat them as two distinct categories with similar returns. Higher investment, less sales are compensated by higher sale prices and less renewals. I'd say around 15% of all my names are in the first category, the others are the hidden gems you have to find from closeouts by spending huge amount of time. Almost each name took lots of research after they passed the initial eye and gut check. For example, Knippe seems like simple brandable, but it has a great meaning. In Swedish, Norwegian, Danish Knippe means Bundle, Package.

•••
Congratulations upon building a solid portfolio for yourself.

Talking about keepers in my portfolio, they are at around 1500 to 1700 in my portfolio. Majority of them being .coms, followed by countable .org, .co, .co.uk.

The .coms comprises of hand regs from daily drop lists, closeout domains, backorders, and a few auction or aftermarket purchases.

Would be too early to consider the STR (of my .com domains only) here as I would like to see the domains mature for another year. But at the moment, that appear to be somewhere around 1%.

Thank you for sharing the details. You nailed it regarding the first year. If it is a closeout name, you lose about 40 days of the year, then you lose about 60 days of fast transfer window, then I expect that there is a long lead time from someone discovering that a name is available at xxxx price to actually maturing to buying it. Probably it would make sense to count STR of first year names separately.

Last edited:
•••
I've been holding steady at ~300 names total for around 3 years, but am up around 335 with recent purchases.

I used to have a "Keepers" folder. This is a good reminder to do that again.

I'm guessing there are about 100-150 names I'd be very reluctant to sell, or that have some other value or project attached to them.

I'd like to get back down to 300-ish names.

Interesting. What is the reason for trying to stay at around 300? Management? Risk aversion?

•••
For example, Knippe seems like simple brandable, but it has a great meaning. In Swedish, Norwegian, Danish Knippe means Bundle, Package.
It does mean bundle in Swedish, but it's not a word that is used a lot.

•••
Btw, I'm at 250 domains right now, but only about 100-150 keepers. Prices are inflated at GD auctions so it's hard to increase the size of the portfolio right now.

Last edited:
•••
It does mean bundle in Swedish, but it's not a word that is used a lot.

Thank you. I am content with that. What counts for a brandable most is the meaning, plus it is short, catchy, 2 syllables etc.

I have lived in Norway for 6 years as an expat. Although did not become fluent, picked a little of the sense of the language.

By the way, picked also Kvinnan.com

What do you think of this one?

•••
Thank you. I am content with that. What counts for a brandable most is the meaning, plus it is short, catchy, 2 syllables etc.

I have lived in Norway for 6 years as an expat. Although did not become fluent, picked a little of the sense of the language.

By the way, picked also Kvinnan.com

What do you think of this one?
Nice! Norway is a very beautiful country. Amazing fjords and mountains.

"Kvinnan" means "the woman" (as you probably already know). There's nothing wrong with the word, but I just don't know how to use the domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back