Dynadot

poll I am at 5000+ now, how many domains in your "keeper" portfolio?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Number of domains in my "keeper" portfolio

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 0-100

• 101-500

• 501-1000

• 1001-2500

• 2501-5000

• 5001-7500

• 7501-10000

• 10001-15000

• 15001-25000

• 25001-50000

• 50000-100000

• 100000+

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
So, I finally crossed the 5000 threshold. Let's share here the portfolio sizes we currently have.

For the poll, I am asking to include only the keeper names, those you are likely to renew, not the heavily discounted names you are holding for a year only. But feel free to mention that portfolio size in the comments too.

As for my portfolio, It seems in past year I have more than doubled the size, buying over 2500 names just from GD auctions/closeouts. Most names are with the GD (see the screenshot) but I also have couple hundred at Epic, Dyna combined.

And I rarely drop names now, with probably under 1% being pruned.

5000.PNG

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
what's your pricing strategy? Bin or makeoffer?
All domains are listed on Sedo, Afternic, Efty Landing Page with BIN price.
Great work George. Could you throw some light on the type of domains you are selling at 1.7%? I mean like handreg to closeouts or great quality auctions buys?
Congrats once again.
all .COM and bought from Auctions.

•••
All domains are listed on Sedo, Afternic, Efty Landing Page with BIN price.

all .COM and bought from Auctions.

Thanks for info, but what is your average buying rate at auctions?

•••
•••
I re-read the whole thread. Quite nice discussions that new members might find useful.

I will start another thread and poll within couple of weeks. I am almost at 22k names now and it will be interesting to see for others how the distribution has changed if at all.

•••
5,000 domains in GD?

I think you've to work hard for manage.

I would suggest you use epik.com

Low cost plus 100% domainer friendly.

Very easy to use & manage. 🙂

•••
5,000 domains in GD?

I think you've to work hard for manage.

I would suggest you use epik.com

Low cost plus 100% domainer friendly.

Very easy to use & manage. 🙂
I have over 5000 domains at GoDaddy. What is so hard about management there?

Brad

•••
I have over 5000 domains at GoDaddy. What is so hard about management there?

Brad
Like everytime default profile features.

Epik has a default profile features which you can set once like TXT record etc.
That's it you don't need to update everytime.

•••
Like everytime default profile features.

Epik has a default profile features which you can set once like TXT record etc.
That's it you don't need to update everytime.

I have no use for those for now. If I need bulk changes, I can send the list to my agent and they do it for me.

Epik did not work for me. I tried couple of hundred names with them. Names there didn't sell for me and them being out of Afternic fast transfer was a deal breaker.

The only time spent "managing" is

a) renewing names (could be set for auto-renew, but for now manual is fine, as I still weed out around 1%)

b) listing newly bought names (this is irrelevant to the existing portfolio size, btw. Just new additions and it is one time work).

•••
I have no use for those for now. If I need bulk changes, I can send the list to my agent and they do it for me.

Epik did not work for me. I tried couple of hundred names with them. Names there didn't sell for me and them being out of Afternic fast transfer was a deal breaker.

a) renewing names (could be set for auto-renew, but for now manual is fine, as I still weed out around 1%)

b) listing newly bought names (this is irrelevant to the existing portfolio size, btw. Just new additions and it is one time work).
Ohh.

•••

Ohh.

•••

Yeah, outside renewing domains and possibly changing a nameserver from time to time, there is not all that much to manage.

With GoDaddy you can just paste a list of all the domains you want to show up in the control panel, export a list, etc.

I have never found management to be some massive burden.

Brad

•••
I at once had about roughly 2k domain names. Since then I have tried to downsize the domains a lot.
I rarely renew handregs for more than 2 years.

Currently, I have just xx domains in my portfolio for sale. Rest are being developed.

•••
429, but none of the 429 I have left are for sale so to speak , I mean , they can be bought , but it will take an amount that makes me way overly happy lol

Last edited:
•••
Went from 300 to 1,500 this year while everyone was downsizing. I don't know how many are keepers just yet. Ideally, I'd like to have 250 solid names that I can keep for the next 10 years without having to think whether I want to renew those names or not.

A really big chunk of time is required to keep portfolios of this size, especially if you work on optimizing them, and spending the least possible. By cutting the portfolio to a manageable size with only quality names, I'll probably spend 1/10 of the time and around the same amount of profits (80/20 rule).

•••
•••
I have 6271 names at GD and I notice since last 3-4 months sales are slow !!

•••
I had a target of 5000, and reached 3000+, and now working my way back to 1500. Reducing my inventory by over 50%.

•••
•••

Good question. I am getting rid of some of the dross I've collected over the years, personal stuff which doesn't have much volume, as well as a lot of dropcatches I've accumulated over the last year, which is going to take years to sell. And when I'm also in my 70's, doesn't make a lot of sense. My target is to get back to 1500. I'm only at about 2,800 now and I've been working on this for about 3-4 months. My target is to drop 50% of my expiring domains each month. Which is very hard to reach, every month. Most months I don't reach my target. I'm basically only buying .com and .xyz these days.

Last edited:
•••
I have not enough names that sell quick enough.

•••
812 domains now.
only sold 26 domains, but dropped 147 domains.:ROFL:

•••
370, but I will end up with 300 I think after dropping some. I don't find anything interesting to buy nowadays. When I hear ppl having 5000 domains, I scratch my head with regards to the quality of such large portfolios, which most likely will be poor..

•••
370, but I will end up with 300 I think after dropping some. I don't find anything interesting to buy nowadays. When I hear ppl having 5000 domains, I scratch my head with regards to the quality of such large portfolios, which most likely will be poor..

Sure. You guessed it. They are poor. But I like the feeling of having 22500+ .coms so much, I am ok paying over $200k/year in renewals. Totally worth it.

•••
imp thing is not just quantity you also have quality(y).
PS - currently i have 3500+ plan to double it by next 6 months.

•••
Sure. You guessed it. They are poor. But I like the feeling of having 22500+ .coms so much, I am ok paying over $200k/year in renewals. Totally worth it.
For me this is the key.
When you have big portfolios the quality logically reduces quite a lot in percentage and you will probably have a lot of shit but .... you have a lot of rods fishing every day in the domain market.

If you manage to maintain stability between registrations, renewals and sales, that's when the real domaining starts.

What is true is that this plan requires a good amount of money for the investment.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back