Dynadot

poll I am at 5000+ now, how many domains in your "keeper" portfolio?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Number of domains in my "keeper" portfolio

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 0-100

• 101-500

• 501-1000

• 1001-2500

• 2501-5000

• 5001-7500

• 7501-10000

• 10001-15000

• 15001-25000

• 25001-50000

• 50000-100000

• 100000+

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
So, I finally crossed the 5000 threshold. Let's share here the portfolio sizes we currently have.

For the poll, I am asking to include only the keeper names, those you are likely to renew, not the heavily discounted names you are holding for a year only. But feel free to mention that portfolio size in the comments too.

As for my portfolio, It seems in past year I have more than doubled the size, buying over 2500 names just from GD auctions/closeouts. Most names are with the GD (see the screenshot) but I also have couple hundred at Epic, Dyna combined.

And I rarely drop names now, with probably under 1% being pruned.

5000.PNG

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't know anyone who is increasing their portfolio and quality at the same time. It is why I'm going in the other direction. From over 3000 to a target of 1500 next year

Last edited:
•••
u have good names and make money. at 5k names 99percent people would be losing cash. a lot of it.

•••
I am at ≈300 domains now, but intend to go for ≈500. I sell 7-10% of my names each year.

•••
•••
Sure. You guessed it. They are poor. But I like the feeling of having 22500+ .coms so much, I am ok paying over $200k/year in renewals. Totally worth it.

I'm not talking about domainers like Brad who have organically built a large portfolio over many years. But if you have built a 20000 domains portfolio over 5 years, especially over the last decade, it will certainly be full of rubbish. Even HD portfolio is full of crap. One domain I own is certainly better than 2000 domains HD own with the same keyword.
A bad example would also be Twiki, that tried to scale up artificially by matching 'good' keywords. Well, he ended up dropping thousands of domains.

Last edited:
•••
One domain I own is certainly better than 2000 domains HD own with the same keyword.

It is completely possible but... how much time and money has it cost you to get that "premium domain" and how long will it be before you sell it for a good deal? Months, years, centuries, millennials...

On the other side, those 2000 bad domains have a much better chance of being sold at a lower price normally but there can always be the "golden nugget" of a new startup that wants to use a brand name you have as part of the shit.

For me the most important thing for a beginner in domaining is to have a constant cash flow to be able to advance and if you want to do that with premium and top level domains you have to leave a fortune in investment.

Once you start to have steady sales and start to see gains on renewals it is time to adjust and reduce the portfolio and start looking at premium domains.

But it is complicated and everyone follows a different strategy.

If we look at the last few people who have "recently" entered the world of domains with great success, they all started with a portfolio of more than 5K domains.

Last edited:
•••
Currently around 225 but only keeping best 125 names. Obviously keeping liquid , names , single word and best two words. Beyond that consolidating and setting aside capital for future acquisitions.

•••
370, but I will end up with 300 I think after dropping some. I don't find anything interesting to buy nowadays. When I hear ppl having 5000 domains, I scratch my head with regards to the quality of such large portfolios, which most likely will be poor..

It's totally possible and people do have such portfolios, but:

a) it's a portfolio built over many years
b) it is also portfolio spreaded between different tlds, normally
c) you have budget

Once you have time, an established system of picking names and niches you work at (and normally at this point some software as well), you can go trying different tlds, hyphens, numbers etc.

Imo, it's not very complicated to get there once you comply with the conditions above, but it is indeed an extremely tough task to keep it up throughout the years, unless you are Rich Schwartz who got into the game 25+ years ago and is playing high stakes...

•••
Currently around 4,200, although with the economy as it is and energy prices killing innovation and business I doubt I will be increasing much more for quite some time.

@Recons.Com given your portfolio size you sshould have a good take on the current conditions of demand. Are you seeing a huge reduction in sales at this time?

•••
Full-time domaining is no easy task. I tried for awhile, but could not maintain a sizeable portfolio of 3000+ domains. It seemed to created it's own gravity and set benchmark prices in a niche. My sell-thru rate was approx. 5% (at wholesale prices), but many gems went cheap. Over time, using the knowledge gained from sales and parking metrics, I've kept only 10%. It was a painful exercise to trim, but necessary. My sell-thru rate has dropped, but prices have gone up which fairly compensates. IMO. I have my time back and a faily solid investment. Thanks to those who contribute to domain community knowledge :xf.wink:

•••
Full-time domaining is no easy task. I tried for awhile, but could not maintain a sizeable portfolio of 3000+ domains. It seemed to created it's own gravity and set benchmark prices in a niche. My sell-thru rate was approx. 5% (at wholesale prices), but many gems went cheap. Over time, using the knowledge gained from sales and parking metrics, I've kept only 10%. It was a painful exercise to trim, but necessary. My sell-thru rate has dropped, but prices have gone up which fairly compensates. IMO. I have my time back and a faily solid investment. Thanks to those who contribute to domain community knowledge :xf.wink:

everyone says they sell gems cheap. it simply means they were not gems

•••
everyone says they sell gems cheap. it simply means they were not gems

One man's garbage is another man's gem. It only means I sold too cheap (now I know better).

Have you never had buyer or sellers remorse? ;)

Last edited:
•••
@Recons.Com hello, How to build a site like rightbrand.com? Customize?

•••
I am under 50 domains now, it was x3 more than year ago.
I just need to cashout, so sold them out.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back