Dynadot

poll I am at 27,000 now, how many domains in your "keeper" portfolio?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How many domains in your "keeper" portfolio (exclude "one-year-stand" promo regs)?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 0-100

• 101-500

• 501-1000

• 1001-2500

• 2501-5000

• 5001-7500

• 7501-10000

• 10001-15000

• 15001-25000

• 25001-50000

• 50001-100000

• 100000+

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
I crossed 27000 domain milestone today. I meant to start the sequel of my "5000" thread when I was at 20k, then at 25k, but never got around.

I am curious how things have changed for all of us since mid 2020 when I had the first poll.

My portfolio is 5.4 times larger than 2.8 years ago, so growing probably around 80% a year. Not quite doubling, but still a decent rate.

Almost all my names are with Godaddy save for hundred or so with Dyna. This helps with reducing admin load.

27000.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thank you!

Since you are focused on brandables, how many of your names are listed at brandable marketplaces (like BB, SH)? Could you share your experience with them?

None currently. I have had near 800 at one point with BrandBucket, Brandpa and SquadHelp. They all start great and then degrade into mediocre results. Given their high commission, they need to deliver 2%+ STR consistently, which they don't for absolute majority of sellers. I also disliked that they position themselves as branding authority deciding if a name is good or bad with no real science behind. And they have added a lot of confusion into minds of investors thinking that if the name is approved it is good one and if not, then they should drop or not register it. Plus, listing with them is time consuming and requires lots of efforts, while there are no approvals, descriptions, fees etc. to list with Afternic, Sedo, Dan.

And, in the case of SH, I believe they stepped over the line with demands to increase my pricing at Afternic for listed names and start penalizing my listings if I didn't. Basically, all that screams "unreliable" to me. If I am investing 6-7 figures into this business, I can't rely on capriciousness of a third party, their antics and dwindling performance.

What is your current median cost of 1 domain acquisition?

I think I already mentioned this. Basically, currently I invest into a) liquid names that I buy at auctions, forums, groups with a median cost of low-mid $xxx or b) illiquid names that I buy at closeouts for low $xx.

Ideally, I'd like to balance 50%/50% in money terms between them, but currently I'd say 85%+ goes towards b). As my acquisition budget goes up, eventually I will take back to 50%/50%. This will make the portfolio more robust, as the renewals then won't be as high as 40%-50% of post-commission revenue.

In general, category b) is currently more profitable, but also more risky due to high % revenue going towards renewals. It also requires way higher skills, as identifying good ones is not as straightforward as with a) category. You can't easily rely on extensions regged or gauge by the interest from other bidders in the auctions.

How many names you handregged recently (including post-drop reg)?

Not more than a dozen in the past year I think. Overall, I'd say only around 0.1% of all my names are hand registered.

What is your criteria for an investment-grade brandable name? May you share some metrics you use?

This is, no doubt, the one million dollar question. I define investment-grade name as the one where if you could categorize and collect 1000 similar names you'd be selling enough in a year to cover your renewal costs and provide sufficient return on your investment (above the opportunity cost for the given level of risk).

As you can see with this definition, it is already not easy. One would need to have large enough portfolio, have ability to slice and dice according to various parameters for the types of names even within the brandable niche (albeit I disagree with this definition of brandable. Imo, even dictionary word names are brandables if they can be used as a brand) and then carry out proper data analysis to understand, learn and then apply to buying criteria.

Interestingly, you can see "investment-grade" being used a lot lately with no clear understanding what it entails. Most use it as another word for a "liquid" name.

Thank You for this Thread and this particular post is EXCELLENT...

Cheers !

•••
Is it ok for asking to see your lists? Would you mind to share your domain list so that as a begginer, I could learn something about what type of domain should I buy / register. Thanks.

•••
Is it ok for asking to see your lists? Would you mind to share your domain list so that as a begginer, I could learn something about what type of domain should I buy / register. Thanks.

Your answer is already exist in the sign.

You need to learn how to "see" first.

•••
I currently hold about 50 Domains but plan to reduce this to Max 20.

Quality over quantity is my motto.

•••
•••
Your answer is already exist in the sign.

You need to learn how to "see" first.
Are you referring to the screenshot? I didn't mean that. I wanted to see the whole list. don't know how it affect the owner to publish his list. Am I overlooked the list?

•••
Are you referring to the screenshot? I didn't mean that. I wanted to see the whole list. don't know how it affect the owner to publish his list. Am I overlooked the list?
Look at his signature.

•••
mind to share your list?
Sure, these are my keepers.

Decentralised Web3 Domains

EMoney.eth
EMoneyToken.eth
EMoneyTokens.eth
Stablecoins.eth®
PaymentStablecoins.eth
VReality.eth
SmartGlasses.eth®
XR.sol

Crypto DNS names

EMoneyToken•com
EMoneyTokens•com®
E-MoneyToken•com
E-MoneyTokens•com
MVTokens•com
GlobalStablecoins•com®
GlobalStablecoins•org
StableTokens•com®
StableWage•com
PaymentTokens•com®
AssetReferencedTokens•com
VASPToken•com
VASPTokens•com
VASPVault•com
PresidioPrinciples•com
PresidioPrinciples•org

VR/AR DNS Names

VRCryptoassets•com
ARCryptoassets•com
XRCryptoassets•com
VRAnimationStudio•com
VRAnimationStudios•com

My biggest offer was $150k for one of these which I refused. Time will tell if that was a mistake 😅

•••
Why so many negative down points?

Is it because I listed .eth domains?

Which btw, is one of my domains that got the $150K offer.

•••
•••
Why so many negative down points?

Is it because I listed .eth domains?

Which btw, is one of my domains that got the $150K offer.
Maybe there are downvotes because people don't believe you would have received such an offer for one of those domains. Post proof and you might get some upvotes.
Personally, I'd say you should have taken that offer.

•••
Maybe there are downvotes because people don't believe you would have received such an offer for one of those domains. Post proof and you might get some upvotes.
Personally, I'd say you should have taken that offer.
Negotiations were off chain so Proof would require doxing the interested party and that’s not gonna happen. What people believe is their business.

I think I made the right choice. Everything is moving in the right direction.

Last edited:
•••
Negotiations were off chain so Proof would require doxing the interested party and that’s not gonna happen. What people believe is their business.

I think I made the right choice. Everything is moving in the right direction.
Your call. I look forward to seeing the sale in the Completed Sales thread in due course.

•••
Your call. I look forward to seeing the sale in the Completed Sales thread in due course.
I look forward to Sharing the Etherscan Transaction Hash

•••
27k is a huge numbers and congratulations! You have achieved this milestone.

•••
Jesus christ, that is insane! congrats @Recons.Com ! Do you break even by holding all these domains? i suspect its quite a big yearly renewal cost?
Is it purely .com domains?

•••
lol since the $1 domain coupons went extinct I went from 500+ domains to 20 :D

•••
everyone is getting down votes ;p

well if anyone is looking to develop some of those names, I will post a free layout in the "free code" section soon!

•••
But last year one of the domains in my portfolio went viral due to a tiktok influencer misstating the name of a web site
How do you monitor individual domain traffic when you have quite a large number of them?

•••
Congrats on your portfolio!

Do you actually use the GoDaddy "Beta" Domain Manager? I Only have around 1,500 domain names, and the "Beta" Domain Manager takes forever to load the 1,500. I've had to exit the "Beta" and use the original domain manager interface.

Is there a trick to make the "Beta" Domain Manager run/load faster?
You absolutely have to EXIT the "Beta" Domain Manager. It is so slow and unusable on mobile.

I like GoDaddy and have 99% of my domains there but they need to REMOVE or IMPROVE that thing.

Sorry about my rant in the midst of this awesome thread...

•••
How do you monitor individual domain traffic when you have quite a large number of them?
My apologies I didn't see your post until now. You have to use Dan landers to see traffic. There may be others that I am not aware of. Afternic is supposedly planning to start showing traffic stats on your landers but that has been pending for a long time so I personally wouldn't count on it.

•••
To simply things, do you think you are generating yearly around 40% of your yearly proceeds in "profit" (after commission & renewals)?

Basing the calculation on:
"Proceeds: post commission, about 45%-50% goes towards renewals. The rest is used for own expenses, taxes and growth."

If the figure is around this area, that would be around:
(yearly) investment x 0.8421 = profit.

= for $100,000 proceeds/domain sales, you would net around $40,000 in profits (after an average of 12.5% in potential commission and 47.5% renewals).

•••
Thanks for the key recap.

Guessing around a potential $650,000 sales / year
- renewals (around $250K)
- commission (60K-$90K)

= $325K “net profit”.
= Investment x 1.3 = profit.

•••
Now I'm moving to 27 not 27k, just 27 domains :ROFL:

I need to cashout, so start a Liquidation Sale.

•••
My portfolio was in 4fig now I have significantly reduced it to 3 figures.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back