Dynadot

I am an addict

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sjpals

Yeah, this is meTop Member
Impact
So, I've been trying to save for a very long trip. I have therefore not been buying domains and have only been renewing a few and letting some drop (for the first time every and its horrible, I cant bare to look). I do have a problem of getting very emotionally attached to domains.

I also have no self control and spent ALL DAY (i'm off work sick) researching domains. I found over 100 I liked and narrowed them down to 10, which I bought. Still too many for someone who is supposed to be saving!

I have also hit the 200 domains mark. My addiction is getting serious. Most of them were bought to develop. I'm letting a massive load drop if they don't sell, but I wont get back down to near the 100 mark.

And to top it all off, if researching for hours wasn't addicted enough, or buying 10 domains when I should be saving, or going over the 200 mark, @NamePros also told me today that I am addicted. I get the message...
1679400070747.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you struggle with discipline, these rules might help:

ONLY buy after you make a sale.

Reinvest 50% of the sale into new acquisitions, put 25% into a renewals pot and 25% into your bank account.

Read namepros, tech blogs, Twitter etc but STOP buying. Fomo when you see someone else make a sale can be bad for your headspace - act in haste, repent at leisure.

Rules are boring. But they’re essential, and will stop you building up a hefty renewal bill.

•••
I have also hit the 200 domains mark.
Hi

i used to be hyped,

fingers sweating while typing the keyboard, trying to catch domains at drop time
between 2005 > 2008, portfolio grew to over 2000 domains

now i have about 150.

imo...

•••

Reinvest 50% of the sale into new acquisitions, put 25% into a renewals pot and 25% into your bank account.

Read namepros, tech blogs, Twitter etc but STOP buying. Fomo when you see someone else make a sale can be bad for your headspace - act in haste, repent at leisure.

Rules are boring. But they’re essential, and will stop you building up a hefty renewal bill.
I honestly tried to only buy after I sold, but I have only sold 2 domains for a total of $60, πŸ˜‚

I do try and leave it 24 hours before buying a domain, so I can be sure that I really love it.

Last edited:
•••
Hi

i used to be hyped,

fingers sweating while typing the keyboard, trying to catch domains at drop time

now i have about 150.

imo...
I fortunately don’t have the money to grow to 2k domains and am actively trying to trim down the ones I don’t like. I think I’ll try to keep it to under 200!!

•••
Well, as long as you sell domains, buy domains. If you can't sell over three years, find another hobby.

•••
I found over 100 I liked and narrowed them down to 10, which I bought.
Hand-reg or aftermarket?

I have also hit the 200 domains mark. [...] Most of them were bought to develop.
So that's almost 200 websites to do. How long will that take you?

I do try and leave it 24 hours before buying a domain, so I can be sure that I really love it.
Maybe as you think of them save them in a text file. Then once a month, allow yourself to buy only what you consider to be the best one or two. This way your portfolio will grow in quality, and cost less in renewals - more curated than collected. This will help hone your skills too.

If you're finding 100 hand-regs in a day in 2023 then I'd say it's almost guaranteed that the vast majority are not good.. not even with 10.

Last edited:
•••
Hi

i used to be hyped,

now i have about 150.

imo...
Really? I thought you had more. Did you just give up, focused on quality or other ventures?

•••
I think you'll find Biggie.us like many of us, Wised-up. A large portfolio is a stress maker, even when it's turning over relatively satisfactorily.

There's three stages to domaining.

The BUG and BUY
The Sales Excitement stage
The realization that good Replenishment is just unsustainable.

Oh and stage 4
Then the Chill sets in, your more at home talking about domains and keeping an eye or your much smaller portfolio. The early days took-up so much time and you don't really want to sacrifice that time again. The portfolio is no longer a financial management concern

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
So, I've been trying to save for a very long trip. I have therefore not been buying domains and have only been renewing a few and letting some drop (for the first time every and its horrible, I cant bare to look). I do have a problem of getting very emotionally attached to domains.

I also have no self control and spent ALL DAY (i'm off work sick) researching domains. I found over 100 I liked and narrowed them down to 10, which I bought. Still too many for someone who is supposed to be saving!

I have also hit the 200 domains mark. My addiction is getting serious. Most of them were bought to develop. I'm letting a massive load drop if they don't sell, but I wont get back down to near the 100 mark.

And to top it all off, if researching for hours wasn't addicted enough, or buying 10 domains when I should be saving, or going over the 200 mark, @NamePros also told me today that I am addicted. I get the message...
Show attachment 234239
Lol even np told you so XD

Me too i entered addiction, but hopefully i noticed it very quickly and started setting a budget and time limit. You could try to do so

•••
It's normal to get addicted (and it passes too like everything else). If you can afford many hours to be spent on domains without sacrificing your family and health - hey, why not? You are mastering your skills.

•••
Hand-reg or aftermarket?

Maybe as you think of them save them in a text file. Then once a month, allow yourself to buy only what you consider to be the best one or two. This way your portfolio will grow in quality, and cost less in renewals - more curated than collected. This will help hone your skills too.

If you're finding 100 hand-regs in a day in 2023 then I'd say it's almost guaranteed that the vast majority are not good.. not even with 10.
Domains were from expired domains.

200 websites - I don’t have the funds to increase my hosting to beyond 60. I think I have room for 30. Depends how much I’m working. I can do a 1 page lander after work easily enough.

I save them for 24 hours. Even then, some have already gone.

•••
Hand-reg or aftermarket?

ohhh, actually I can have more, its just not best practice to have more than 1 domain on a cpanel, but I guess if they are only landers for starters, or small sites, then it should be ok. Thanks for the inspiration.

Last edited:
•••
Really? I thought you had more. Did you just give up, focused on quality or other ventures?

Hi

times changed.
at the peak, reseller activity was high, as demand and value for certain categories increased.
majority of the names were acquired specifically for parking revenue

sold quite a few, dropped some too.
now it is more about quality, than quantity.

imo...

The early days took-up so much time and you don't really want to sacrifice that time again. The portfolio is no longer a financial management concern

Hi

yeah, i spent any "free" time and also spent time on the boss's dime...
trying to find domains.

now, it's miller time!

imo...

•••
A lot of good advice offered. Particularly helpful guide in the post by @CS85.

I also like the OP point of waiting before buying, to be sure you feel the same 24 hr later.

I find it helpful to sometimes take a short break where you don't even look at available names for a certain period, like a week or two weeks or even a month.

Even if you do not do outbound, I find the idea of balancing effort in buying and selling. Like not allow any more searching, until your existing names are all listed on marketplace(s), priced if that is what you want, and the lander is what you want, and perhaps from time to time try changing it up. You can also invest time in liquidating names wholesale, at NamePros or elsewhere, if you have names you do not want to keep long term.

If you really like searching for names, but don't want to invest any more money until some more sales, you might consider things like entering contests at SH to propose names.

Know that many of us have suffered from domain addiction and wanting to acquire too many names.

Take care and best wishes,

Bob

•••
The same had happened to me years back. The solution was, every month I used to load my account with X amount of funds and that would solely be used for purchasing domains & renewing. I made a pact with myself that even if the domain name seems very lucrative and my monthly budget has been used up then I'm done.

•••
There was a recent post about reaching a certain amount of registrations as a target, That post gave me stomach-churns. With 24 years of hindsight, Stick-an-stay with what you know about business and its specifics , Don't try to believe you have some sort of insight into everything else.

Stay within your realm and you'll probably come out OK. Nothing wrong with being adventurous, that's the name of the game. Stay adventurous in what you know about.

Last edited:
•••
I think as long as you can sell about 10% of your portfolio, you are fine. At least that's what I did, but I bought them at registration prices, and sold them at a 5000% profit.

•••

I also like the OP point of waiting before buying, to be sure you feel the same 24 hr later.

I find it helpful to sometimes take a short break where you don't even look at available names for a certain period, like a week or two weeks or even a month.

Even if you do not do outbound, I find the idea of balancing effort in buying and selling. Like not allow any more searching, until your existing names are all listed on marketplace(s), priced if that is what you want, and the lander is what you want, and perhaps from time to time try changing it up. You can also invest time in liquidating names wholesale, at NamePros or elsewhere, if you have names you do not want to keep long term.

If you really like searching for names, but don't want to invest any more money until some more sales, you might consider things like entering contests at SH to propose names.

Know that many of us have suffered from domain addiction and wanting to acquire too many names.

Bob

Bob
I’m not good with breaks. That is how the latest lapse happened. If I’m looking at expired domains every day, I don’t find anything. If I leave it a week or even a month, I seem to find tons.

•••
Don't count on money from domain names. Keep it as a hobby. Focus on making money somewhere else to support the hobby.

•••
Don't count on money from domain names. Keep it as a hobby. Focus on making money somewhere else to support the hobby.
yep, its certainly a hobby (an expensive one!).

•••
**UPDATE*
I have been liquidating and dropping my domains and only renewing ones I would buy again. I have not searched or bought any new domains for months!
I have gone from 230 (the highest I think I got) to down to 197, which is an improvement. By next year, I hope to be down to about 150.

Last edited:
•••
I an an addict O_o

I bought 13 domains today alone and 4 of them I bought from you! :xf.laugh:

•••
I an an addict O_o

I bought 13 domains today alone and 4 of them I bought from you! :xf.laugh:
Hahah, maybe you are!, and thanks for helping to decrease my collection!!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back