Dynadot

I am an addict

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sjpals

Yeah, this is meTop Member
Impact
So, I've been trying to save for a very long trip. I have therefore not been buying domains and have only been renewing a few and letting some drop (for the first time every and its horrible, I cant bare to look). I do have a problem of getting very emotionally attached to domains.

I also have no self control and spent ALL DAY (i'm off work sick) researching domains. I found over 100 I liked and narrowed them down to 10, which I bought. Still too many for someone who is supposed to be saving!

I have also hit the 200 domains mark. My addiction is getting serious. Most of them were bought to develop. I'm letting a massive load drop if they don't sell, but I wont get back down to near the 100 mark.

And to top it all off, if researching for hours wasn't addicted enough, or buying 10 domains when I should be saving, or going over the 200 mark, @NamePros also told me today that I am addicted. I get the message...
1679400070747.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
**UPDATE*
I have been liquidating and dropping my domains and only renewing ones I would buy again. I have not searched or bought any new domains for months!
I have gone from 230 (the highest I think I got) to down to 197, which is an improvement. By next year, I hope to be down to about 150.

Hi

so far, haven't acquired any domains this year,
but i have been looking to add a few if possible.

competition is high, so might have to wait for an ai depression :)

imo..

•••
Lots of good advise, but I will only add that you need to create some form of discipline.
You know yourself better than anyone right?

Make a set of rules that work for you financially, and stick to them.
Any money left over is for domains.

I picked up a trait from a smart guy.
He made a list and kept it quite. And when spendable money showed up, he would take the best 2 from the list.

You would be surprised how many you might cross off that list before you buy them.
Just one of those "what was I thinking" buffers.
For a good number of years you have it in your head that they will not last long, and you just thought of it and it was there. It will be there longer than you think. Believe me. If it is that obvious, it would have been gone before you.
It's just one of the lessons anyone must go through with this stuff.

But some only learn after loosing their shirt, and quit all together.
Don't be that guy !

•••
Lots of good advise, but I will only add that you need to create some form of discipline.
You know yourself better than anyone right?

Make a set of rules that work for you financially, and stick to them.
Any money left over is for domains.

I picked up a trait from a smart guy.
He made a list and kept it quite. And when spendable money showed up, he would take the best 2 from the list.

You would be surprised how many you might cross off that list before you buy them.
Just one of those "what was I thinking" buffers.
For a good number of years you have it in your head that they will not last long, and you just thought of it and it was there. It will be there longer than you think. Believe me. If it is that obvious, it would have been gone before you.
It's just one of the lessons anyone must go through with this stuff.

But some only learn after loosing their shirt, and quit all together.
Don't be that guy !
I often have a look on expired domains. I often find a list of 20 I love. I leave it a couple of days. If I can’t remember the domains, without looking at the list or thinking about it in the mean time, then it’s not a great name. If I can remember a name, still like it, and it’s still available, then it’s probably not that good as no one else wanted it! Basically, I am constantly just talking myself out of it, lol 😂

•••
i could have up to 1800 at any one time, It was exhausting lol... now i have 203 ... and i am retired from domaining, but i am holding onto 178 LLLL.coms that i hand registered back in 2005-2006.. some one word .org , and a few two word .coms

•••
So, I've been trying to save for a very long trip. I have therefore not been buying domains and have only been renewing a few and letting some drop (for the first time every and its horrible, I cant bare to look). I do have a problem of getting very emotionally attached to domains.

I also have no self control and spent ALL DAY (i'm off work sick) researching domains. I found over 100 I liked and narrowed them down to 10, which I bought. Still too many for someone who is supposed to be saving!

I have also hit the 200 domains mark. My addiction is getting serious. Most of them were bought to develop. I'm letting a massive load drop if they don't sell, but I wont get back down to near the 100 mark.

And to top it all off, if researching for hours wasn't addicted enough, or buying 10 domains when I should be saving, or going over the 200 mark, @NamePros also told me today that I am addicted. I get the message...
Show attachment 234239

So, don't let anything I say here sway you anything immediate.

But I have always likened this syndrome to what I easily call 'GREED'.
It's something that you must get control over for it will cause you the opposite of what you intend.
'GREED' will get the best of you and know these threads are full of folks over-exercising it.
Others make money from your excessive 'GREED'. Don't expect them to talk you out of it.

The more you think about that in general, I think the more helpful it can be in forming your own discipline.
Greed is a good thing. It keeps you targeting the better things in life that others also make money from.
You just need to make more than them. It helps by loosing less !
Overhead is always a problem for domainer's the first 1-5 years.

I will say one big lesson for me is watching others exercise it.
See it, recognize it and you will be less likely to do it yourself. These threads should help you see it in action.
So, reading them will help.

Just some perspective for you or anyone to think on.

•••
So, don't let anything I say here sway you anything immediate.

But I have always likened this syndrome to what I easily call 'GREED'.
It's something that you must get control over for it will cause you the opposite of what you intend.
'GREED' will get the best of you and know these threads are full of folks over-exercising it.
Others make money from your excessive 'GREED'. Don't expect them to talk you out of it.

The more you think about that in general, I think the more helpful it can be in forming your own discipline.
Greed is a good thing. It keeps you targeting the better things in life that others also make money from.
You just need to make more than them. It helps by loosing less !
Overhead is always a problem for domainer's the first 1-5 years.

I will say one big lesson for me is watching others exercise it.
See it, recognize it and you will be less likely to do it yourself. These threads should help you see it in action.
So, reading them will help.

Just some perspective for you or anyone to think on.
I fully agree.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back