I am a re-seller not an end user

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

biggie

GreenFriendly.comTop Member
Impact
Hi

the title.... "I am a re-seller not an end user"

when you see that "line" included in a domains wanted thread.....

does that conjure a preconceived notion about the end-result and or the person who uses it?

are you "more or less" likely, to submit your best domain names for that request,
when such phrases are included with the budget?

and... if the budget that's posted is within a margin "that a seller would sell for"... then why the need to state the statement?

the point i guess, is.....

who cares if you are a reseller or end-user?

the only thing a seller wants to know is, what kind of names you want to buy and how much you're willing to pay for them.

what you think?

imo.....

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I do not care who are you, I will be happy to give it as free domain or just let it to get dropped but will never sell this domain below my expected price. :xf.smile:

So if you are asking for $20k and somebody offers you $19k. You walk?

•••
"I am a re-seller not an end user"

What that phrase tells me is that he wants people to know he is a liquidator. He probably is saying this out of frustration because people approach him and want to sell their domains to him at end-user prices, leaving him no room for profit. Even though they know he is a reseller.

Is it wrong or stupid? Probably, but I understand his frustration as someone who used to work in a pawn shop. People just don't understand that when you sell to a pawn shop, you are liquidating. Pawn shops are resellers so they can't pay more than 1/4th to 1/3rd what they know they can sell it for.

•••
There should be a thread where we may comment on the cheapskates who try to buy gold for the price of lead, or the sellers trying to push garbage as if it were worth something.

Last edited:
•••
I usually just look at their posted budget per domain name, and then submit my list of names that I would consider selling within their posted budget. I try to only submit names that meet their criteria.

•••
Someone who approaches by email is probably a reseller or bargain hunter.
Someone who bids low (I mean, the second bid) at marketplaces might be a middleman (my theory).
Middleman can be a broker, reseller, registrar, or marketplace owner in normal life. Being a middleman is not bad, unless it prevents sale, or blocks good sales, or force cheap sales. I mean, sellers may think, there are no other buyers, when actually they stay behind the middleman curtain. This might be the reason marketplaces don't show stats: not to reveal broker IPs.
Unfortunately endusers don't want to send emails, and look like deep pocket and desparate buyers.
They like working with familiar companies like Godaddy (this is also my theory, explains why outbounds get no response).

Last edited:
•••
Someone who approaches by email is probably a reseller or bargain hunter.

Unfortunately endusers don't want to send emails, and look like deep pocket and desparate buyers.

Hi

over the years, I have sold quite a few domains via incoming emails.

some have been resellers and some have been end-users

my last sale, was due to incoming email

but the point is, the amount the name was sold for.

I don't care if you are reseller or end user, only the price matters.

if you can pay asking price for the name in question, then you win
same situation, if your budget is within price i'm willing to sell for, then maybe we make a deal

if not, then we move on..

imo...

•••
The wanted thread at namepros is a cesspool, the thread above this one states paying 5% of godaddy valuations for domains valued at $4000 or more. Given those will be some decent names, 5%? Like come on.

Some people have massive budgets most likely to get attention, doubtful they have matching funds to spend, as most wanted ads are posted with people of 0 trade score.

Nothing but fishing expeditions.

Namepros has to fix the wanted section so buyers, and sellers are not wasting each other’s time.

Last edited:
•••
A lot of great points made on this thread... There should be a better way of doing this. What about the following ideas? Just brainstorming here:

• A Domain Wanted thread that requires the buyer to disclose if his thread ended with no purchase or if he indeed bought something, with details on what he bought and from whom.
  • A Domain Wanted thread in which every submission, comment and negotiation is made on the thread itself, no PM and where other members can post sold if they like.
  • A Domain Wanted thread where you lose your right to post a Domain Request if you have not purchased anything after initiating three Request posts. In this case, there should be a way for those who sold the domains to you to click on something confirming you have indeed made a purchase.

•••
A lot of great points made on this thread... There should be a better way of doing this. What about the following ideas? Just brainstorming here:

• A Domain Wanted thread that requires the buyer to disclose if his thread ended with no purchase or if he indeed bought something, with details on what he bought and from whom.
  • A Domain Wanted thread in which every submission, comment and negotiation is made on the thread itself, no PM and where other members can post sold if they like.
  • A Domain Wanted thread where you lose your right to post a Domain Request if you have not purchased anything after initiating three Request posts. In this case, there should be a way for those who sold the domains to you to click on something confirming you have indeed made a purchase.
Hard for someone to lose their posting rights if they get crappy domains, and don't buy anything, that is a bit of a stretch.

•••
Hard for someone to lose their posting rights if they get crappy domains, and don't buy anything, that is a bit of a stretch.
Sure, I see your point. This other Wanted thread could exist in addition to the current one, not as a substitute, so they could always post on the current one.

•••
Here is when I use the term...

I get a direct message asking if I am interested in purchasing a domain.

The asking price is set at or well above retail.

I respond... I am a reseller not an end user.

In other words there is no more money to be made on this domain. If you want to sell at retail then list your domain on godaddy or something but please do not bother me.

I am a reseller and I expect to be able to make money on a domain if you contact me without solicitation. I cannot be asked to pay retail prices when it is quite obvious I am not an end user and I resell for a living.

So in certain circumstances the "I am a reseller" response is justified.
If you solicit me then you have to expect that I will want a wholesale price of sorts.

Last edited:
•••
2vh2aq.jpg

2vh2oa.jpg

https://www.thedomains.com/2019/03/07/nobody-cares-if-you-are-a-reseller/

•••
Why would anybody sell at wholesale reseller pricing. That is just unintelligent..
You know that domainer will just resell it for a huge profit.. Don't give him the chance.. Make him pay a fair price.. If he has to pay 90% of end user price, so be it.. That is the cost of a GOOD DOMAIN, it is an INVESTMENT, not a LOTTO TICKET

•••
Unfortunately, I would say less than 5% of buyers are end users. Domainers are basically just pawning off names on each other. This will eventually lead to stagnation in the domaining market once the number of new domainers begin to tale off.

•••
Lol as a new seller I instantly disengage when I find out your also a re-seller, because im not buying names to sell them for 2-75 times my money even when I get them $1 a name. I am trying to sell them for 500-5000 times my money so their is zero reason why a re-seller would pay end-user prices.

•••
Unfortunately, I would say less than 5% of buyers are end users. Domainers are basically just pawning off names on each other. This will eventually lead to stagnation in the domaining market once the number of new domainers begin to tale off.
I want to know what domain name markets have stagnation right now.

•••
The market is strong
Unlimited opportunity for every parasitic rapacious loser on earth to make huge profits with no skills or smarts
#ParasitesFTW

•••
I am a domainer, but I'm also an end-user in some cases.
For years I wasted time trying to use handregs and acquiring names on the cheap... for my own business(Domain and other projects).
Eventually, I realized I needed to invest in myself if i wanted other people to take me seriously.
So I sacrificed and invested in good names too, even from domainers.

I always will try to get a good deal(Like anyone else), but I won't disrespect anyone and feel like I should get a solid name like Gotbrands.com for $25? I purchased this name for a fair price from another established domainer. I maxed my paypal credit plus extra to get it. because I believed in my brand and vision.

How can we expect someone to give is over $1000 for a name, when we think $25 is too much.
Even the brandbucket fiasco is BS.... People think because most bb names go for $25 reseller, then that means all BB names are created equal and must be the same.

When people have a $250 budget for a solid one word domain, then you can imagine what the word reseller means to them.

I guess saying "I'm a reseller", means they expect a great name for $25.
Like, How, dare you ask $400(my max budget) for room.com? lol

We all love deals, including myself... but I think this forum is getting taken advantage of and cheapened.
Too many domainers pretending like they never work on their own projects and business too.
For me, reseller...is getting a name for a price I know I can flip for 4 figures profit. I think I bought MrSmile.com here on namepros years ago for under $400... To me that was a great deal because in my eyes...i know it's valued 4 figures. Just because a name isn't liquid, doesn't mean it's not valuable. Our brain should tell us when a name is valuable. Ofcourse I sold that name for 6K on BB. But some people here think $75 for a solid two word is too much.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
I have to laugh at this entire topic because it makes it appear that everyone is so innocent and does not use the term. I can search through my private messages where this term is constantly used by namepros members.

Maybe I am the only one brave enough to admit I use it but I traditionally do not use it if I am soliciting someone to purchase a domain.

I do use it though when I get all the private messages asking me to purchase mediocre domains for thousands of dollars. If you solicit me and ask me to purchase your domains then you're obviously desperate to sell because why else would you approach another domainer when he is clearly in the reselling business.

You solicit me and I am damn well going to say I am a reseller and I sure as hell don't want to buy your domains at anywhere near retail. This is just business and I will sure as heck not deny that I am doing it.

There is a time and place for everything and letting another domainer CLEARLY know that you are not interested in buying at retail will end a conversation pretty fast and that is exactly what I want to do when I say that. You are either offering me a bargain or you can go list at godaddy, there is no reason in the world for me to buy a domain from another domainer unless he is willing to take a lower price so I can still make a profit. If the domainer thinks he can retail the domain then he should do so without sending me an private message trying to get me to purchase the domain.

It's all relative and if you're trying to sell me something then the ball is in my court and I set the rules for the purchase.

OF COURSE ALL OF THIS CHANGES IF I AM TRYING TO BUY A DOMAIN FROM YOU, THEN I HAVE TO PLAY BY YOUR RULES.

Last edited:
•••
Superb suggestions from @infosec3
I think there are good reasons to use PM so a search record is not made so that others outside NPs might see it (or technically maybe it is possible to put it in a region where that does not happen?)

I know when I submit things, I often do wonder if the person ever buys one. I think it should be a requirement that after some fixed period for submissions the OP posts on the thread whether they ever bought any and at what price (not saying the name, just so we know if they actually ever bought anything).

I think there are arguments each way, but some limit on repeated requests without buying one in previous 3 has logic. I think this should not be an absolute, but maybe no allowed to start another request thread for x months if they have posted 3 without buying any.

JMHO

Bob

•••
hi

if you want to know if WTB OP's are buying any names, just check their trader rating

though, if they are not buying any names...
then maybe the submissions don't meet criteria, which can include: category, extension, price, age, etc,

and, that can be for requests with high or low budgets.

but the point, if you post your budget, then why do you have to say I am a reseller, not an end-user?

even if somebody asks me out the blue to buy their name, i'm not going to say i'm a reseller....
when I can just say not interested, or not say nuthin.

why do I have to tell you that I buy and resell domain names?

if i'm a domainer, and 'buying and reselling domain names' is what domainers do -
then a domainer is also a reseller.

now, if, this is a domain name forum, then..
it stands to 'reason' that, majority of it's members are domainers too, or aspiring to become one.
as such, that would make them resellers or aspiring to become a domain buyer with hopes to resell them.

logically speaking...

imo....

•••
even if somebody asks me out the blue to buy their name, i'm not going to say i'm a reseller....
when I can just say not interested, or not say nuthin.

I would rather say I am only interested if you have a bargain. I can go out and buy retail domains all day long without having anyone contact me via private message.

So if someone contacts me I gently remind them that it only makes sense to solicit another domainer if you are prepared to cut your price and let the buyer make money on the domain.

Sometimes people get into trouble and the renewal costs are too high and they need to move a couple of domains to make ends meet. So they contact me and say hey... you can have this domain for 5k. I respond... you know I'm a reseller, why would you quote me an end user price?

Namepros is a wholesale forum, very few end users will actually lurk here. The majority are resellers so when a newbie thinks they can ask a million dollars for a .company domain then you remind him that as a reseller you need reseller price which is about the registration value of a .company name :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

I mean really.... car.company or similar..... how many new car companies are opening in the world that could ever put that name to use. Even if so then what are the odds that the company will want to use car.company as it's domain name?

There are plenty of times that I have to remind people that I buy at wholesale and not retail.
If you want to move a domain out quickly on a wholesale forum then you need to quote a wholesale price or in other words.... a resellers price.

•••
I know when I submit things, I often do wonder if the person ever buys one. I think it should be a requirement that after some fixed period for submissions the OP posts on the thread whether they ever bought any and at what price (not saying the name, just so we know if they actually ever bought anything).

I think there are arguments each way, but some limit on repeated requests without buying one in previous 3 has logic. I think this should not be an absolute, but maybe no allowed to start another request thread for x months if they have posted 3 without buying any.

Totally agree with the above comments. Multiple times I have seen (usually) a new member post rapid successive WTB requests, often days apart, with lots of "Keep 'em coming!" bumps. A month or so down the road, Department of No Surprise, that member still has a zero trader rating...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back