IT.COM

domain Hyphenated domain names - all-autos.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Boris Kingston

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys,

What is your opinion on the sellability and SEO potential of hyphenation domains like linux-jobs.com, all-autos.com etc.?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hyphenated names are not highly valued by most users and suffer significant discounting in valuation as a result. This is often because it can be awkward to convey the names when spoken out loud and hyphenated names frequently require unnecessary additional clarifications when communicating with others.

This makes them inefficient in a world that values efficiency.

The exception is the German market which embraces them more than anyone else.

Personally I think they get more flack than perhaps is warranted.

Good names do sell, but not at the same level as non-hyphenated valuations.

Overall because users do not value these type of names, your ability to sell hyphenated names also tends to be low.

•••
They score very poorly in a 'radio test', having to say 'dash' or 'hyphen' in audible marketing is major disadvantage.

Users perceive hyphenated domains as less important and/or less authoritative that non-hyphenated domains.

Last edited:
•••
Hyphenated names are not highly valued by most users and suffer significant discounting in valuation as a result. This is often because it can be awkward to convey the names when spoken out loud and hyphenated names frequently require unnecessary additional clarifications when communicating with others.

Overall because users do not value these type of names, your ability to sell hyphenated names also tends to be low.
So would I have to approach German investors? And if so, where can I find them?

•••
So would I have to approach German investors? And if so, where can I find them?
Germany lol

If you want to find German investors online, Sedo I believe is a good start as it is German owned.

Last edited:
•••
stay away from hyphens, at least until you get more experienced

imo...

•••
Let's put it this way: The world overall hates hyphenated domains. The German market does not hate them as much as the rest of the world.

•••
Also expressions/words that are naturally hyphenated work well in domains...

•••
I agree with @East Street's and @biggie's posts. Not really something for a beginner (or even an experienced domainer) to be dabbling in.

•••
yes don't reg hyphenated domains
the are really bad, as everybody knows
- and don't believe -> always do due dilligence yourself -

upload_2016-7-1_11-59-0.png

•••
I wouldn't go with hyphenated names, because they're not always convenient to enter. A lot of people use mobile devices, foreign keyboards, gaming consoles, and other unique methods to use the web. And in a lot of those cases, entering a hyphen just isn't convenient.

The domain itself contributes in a limited way to SEO. I wouldn't buy a domain just based off SEO. A domain is much more than that.

•••
Hyphenated domain names are good only when it contains exact EMD with High Search volume like Affiliate programs, Weight loss (even with lesser search volumes than these will do) or if its product name. all-autos will have no value as its neither not a search nor a product name

•••
I'm German, but I'm always flabbergasted at the pervasive use of hyphenated domains around here. Weird, to be sure. Sure, it separates the words in a semi-clear way, but... i dunno.

That being said, I need a piece of advice:
say you want to register a two-word domain - would you rather have word-word.com or wordword.net ?
To the n00b that I am, that's a tough nut to crack.

Your turn!

•••
When I started, I reg'd a few hyphenated names, and I think I may still have a couple of them. Then I went through a long period of ignoring them apart from a couple of experiments like b-i-g-g-e-r.com (which didn't work). Recently I've been looking for traffic names, and I've picked up a few hyphens with good traffic. I suspect the resale value might be quite low though, so there isn't much room for mistakes.

I did register one name where I thought that the hyphen focused the meaning of the name. This was EU-genics.com. I felt this would be useful for comments about the deep state using the EU to further their eugenics plan.

•••
@Kuffy thanks for your input.
if it's a name that i'm registering fresh, meaning for some 11 bucks, and that is otherwise alright, that's doable, right? And you'd take the hyphenated .com over the no-hyphen .net option?

•••
I'm probably not a good person to ask, as I'm reverting to traditional values. I'm going to unload my .nets as I think the renewals are too expensive for what you get. Apart from the one instance I mentioned, then I wouldn't register hyphens. I'm also getting out of TLDs other than .coms. This is for names that I have picked up with a view of eventual resale. Traffic names are a bit different, and resale value is not really a consideration, for example, I've just picked up a .co.

I say I'm not a good person to ask, because there are people flipping hyphens, names with numbers and non-com TLDs.

•••
I have sold a few...

Coffee-cup (com) and Siam-square (com) is two that I can remember.

With that said, I try to stay away, if the combination is not really good. As the coffeecup one.

•••
I think if it's a good name you can buy the hyphenated com. It also helps sometimes to have a hypenated version like in the case of Pen island ...:xf.laugh:

•••
When I started, I reg'd a few hyphenated names, and I think I may still have a couple of them. Then I went through a long period of ignoring them apart from a couple of experiments like b-i-g-g-e-r.com (which didn't work). Recently I've been looking for traffic names, and I've picked up a few hyphens with good traffic. I suspect the resale value might be quite low though, so there isn't much room for mistakes.

I did register one name where I thought that the hyphen focused the meaning of the name. This was EU-genics.com. I felt this would be useful for comments about the deep state using the EU to further their eugenics plan.

Kuffy -

If I can ask, what do you consider "good traffic" volume for a hyphenated name?

•••
The name and the extension are not relevant for me for traffic. All that matters is the volume and quality of the traffic, and the potential market. ie. How much can I make from it, and what is the decay rate?

Warning - if you are buying names for resale, then the considerations are entirely different. If you are buying names for traffic, then you need analysis software, landing and filtering pages, and sponsors offering sites in a variety of languages. I'm just experimenting with this at the moment, so others may be able to comment based on greater experience.

•••
I'm German, but I'm always flabbergasted at the pervasive use of hyphenated domains around here. Weird, to be sure. Sure, it separates the words in a semi-clear way, but... i dunno.

say you want to register a two-word domain - would you rather have word-word.com or wordword.net ?

Your turn!

neither

•••

This

•••
•••

Your turn!
I would do word-word.com if that is your main site than wordword.net

•••
Funny story about a hyphen used in a mailing address, I think the same thing happens with hyphen domains, I would imagine there are security issues also with using hyphens, I would only reg general terms, that were very highly searched for and great cpc, even those only sell for a small percentage of the names without hyphens

http://www.montgomerynews.com/roxre...cle_f43cc9da-6bc6-11e7-b87b-abb2849439d9.html

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back