Dynadot

HYPHENATED .COM domains are BACK IN FASHION!

NameSilo
Watch

Are you going to be buying more hyphen .COM domains in late 2019?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
Just sold sushi-man.com from an Epik SSL lander for $4200. This is one of Epik's O&O domains. I don't normally report sales but these days we are routinely asking for $10K+ for good hyphen .COM names and seeing sincere engagement.

The great gTLD experiment has been run. I now routinely sell even ccTLD registrants are upgrading from their ccTLD to .COM if they can afford it. I was late to acknowledge it but the risk-reward equation for speculators overwhelmingly favors .COM.

When it comes to hyphenated .COM, SEO is your friend. I recommend to use SSL landers but any SEO lander will probably do the trick to drive inquiries.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
When somebody writes with so much anger, it just makes me think I've touched a nerve. .

I've said what I needed to say, I'll just leave you to ponder one thing....

The OP has a vested interest in seeing you hand register domains. I also have a vested interest in seeing you hand register domains, because that means you aren't bidding against me on Godaddy expiring domain auctions.

I gain nothing at all from telling you that your approach isn't wise, this post right now earns me nothing. I have no links in my profile, no links in my signature, my username is no longer a website. The OP gains a lot from taking the opposite view.

But I wish you the best of luck in your endeavours regardless, and I shall be on my merry way, or 'do one' as you so eloquently suggested.

I found this exchange quite fascinating so much that it got me out of my namepros hibernation.

You might both be right and wrong at the same time.

You will never know someone's real intentions or thought process on a digital platform .

Moreover, to say investing in hyphenated names is a worst of money is as misguided but I get where your sentiment really emanates from

I remember when Rick was calling out new TLDs and the irony is a lot of "domain investors " accused him of trying to protect .com and .net extensions which apparently dominated his portfolio. Listening to his advise then and doing more research, I totally understood what his arguments were.

It can simple be compared to what is happening in the Crypto space with Bitcoin being the gold standard, Eth and Bitcoin cash fighting it out for 2nd spot, some golden nuggets hidden in there and the rest just trying to survive. There still isn't any coin (although I would argue Monero does it in a different way) that challenges btc's value right now because they are not groundbreaking enough.

It's the same with domains. .com is still the golden child and there's still a lot of opportunity in this space, thousands of domains are expiring every day however I do believe .org has the potential to change the game considering icann is still deliberating on giving full control through a billion dollar + transaction to a private equity firm. The general consensus is .org is non-profit but for how long?

And talking about hyphenated names, as a matter of fact I have pvtly sold a couple of crypto related names in the low end of 4 figures so there you have it.

Also, words like run-ins(.)com , anti-bullying etc work well for a domain.

IMO it's emerging industries that change the domain industry or whatever industry you have out there

•••
Don't like them, less valuable, who likes typing a dash in a domain?

•••
You are doing fine and it looks like you have a good diversity of names. I was actually really surprised with the number of reported hyphenated domains that have sold in recent years on NameBio.

I went through a pretty brutal divorce back in 2009 that brought me to my knees financially for several years. During that time period, infrequent domain sales were the only thing keeping me living a semi-normal life. I had about 2,500-3,500 domains at the time, but only about 10 hyphenated names. One of the decent sales I had back then was in-spain.com for $2,875, which was a huge surprise. While I wouldn't focus solely on these domains, the lower competition makes it easy to pick up some common phrases with little competition in the expired lists.

Show attachment 154174

Even Rick has had some good things to say about hyphenated domains at times.

Good morning and thank you for your kind words. It is nice to occasionally get validation for all of the effort and hard work that goes into hand regging a name. They really aren't as random as some people presume. For instance, I have been back through the archived threads on NP and found names that were once owned by experienced domainers but were dropped for some reason. This could mean going back 10 years or more in some threads.

I am new to domaining but not new to life and accept that everything can change in 3 short months.

I think it will be very hard to sell domains to new small business start-ups for thousands of dollars in the current climate. However, there might be more of a chance with lower priced hyphenated names with a more fitting name. It still won't be easy but I don't have the house riding on whether I succeed or not.

I don't need to sell which takes the pressure off and I often buy with my heart rather than my head.

Zero to 385 domain names in just over one year with $200 start-up funds and a plan.

Buying is easy and selling is hard but it keeps the mind focussed.

Thanks again and good luck with your journey.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
•••
Terrible application of hyphen. IMHO.

Good morning,

Well, I guess you are entitled to your opinion. We can agree to disagree. However, as I see it there can only be a few names that use these actual words in the correct order. The non-hyphenated version, the hyphenated version and one or two other variations using domain hacks. I have them using .one as a domain hack.

So, I now own one of only a very limited number of short brandable domain names which use category specific keywords and for an average of $12 each I shall ride my luck.

Hyphenated names and domain hack names are on the rise, maybe slowly, but I have a horse in the race so to speak.

I like them and at this stage, that is all that matters.

Of course, they may never be as good as others but that's the fun and the challenge.

They will sit alongside

www. Hyphen-ation.com which is one of my better names.

•••
Don't like them, less valuable, who likes typing a dash in a domain?

Good afternoon,

Let me firstly say that I am not trying to be argumentative or just dis-agreeing with you deliberately to raise the profile of hyphenated names.

I appreciate the way in which you presented your point of view without belittling anyone who does like or registers hyphenated names.

The main reason that I register the hyphenated version sometimes is that the non-hyphenated version is out of my budget range but I still like the name.

However, the real history of hyphens and dashes goes back many decades or even centuries and I know that on the other side of the pond a hyphen is called a dash.

Formally, a dash on a typewriter (Google it or ask anyone my age) was two hyphens in a row and not just one long line. There are many different names for long lines too and if you have the time or the inclination to find out more you should check it out.

I grew up in an era when there were many more hyphenated words than there are today and I know that time marches on and things change but it is nice to sometimes be reminded of times gone by when we used to write with ink pens. I know...really.

For example...if you engineer something and then engineer the same thing again it becomes the word 're-engineered' complete with a hyphen.

I'm not an expert but if we are to use our beautiful languages in the best way possible we should at least try to understand more about them as we head out on our journeys.

Enjoy the ride.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
pyckd

Social-Networking.com

reg 1999-02-23

Last edited:
•••
Or they could just be a genius who sees things differently.

You laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at you because you are the same.

Different is good. Repeat after me..."I am not a sheeps"

I am the sheeps dog!!!

www. Iamnottheboxiamoutsidethebox.com

Live and love.

•••
Just sold sushi-man.com from an Epik SSL lander for $4200. This is one of Epik's O&O domains. I don't normally report sales but these days we are routinely asking for $10K+ for good hyphen .COM names and seeing sincere engagement.

The great gTLD experiment has been run. I now routinely sell even ccTLD registrants are upgrading from their ccTLD to .COM if they can afford it. I was late to acknowledge it but the risk-reward equation for speculators overwhelmingly favors .COM.

When it comes to hyphenated .COM, SEO is your friend. I recommend to use SSL landers but any SEO lander will probably do the trick to drive inquiries.
Hi Rob
I would be immensely greatful if you could search volume search "Social School" and appraise Social-School.com for me. I have offers but i'm hesitating. Price for end user and for reseller.
Gracias

Last edited:
•••
•••
Or they could just be a genius who sees things differently.

You laugh at me because I am different. I laugh at you because you are the same.

Different is good. Repeat after me..."I am not a sheeps"

I am the sheeps dog!!!

www. Iamnottheboxiamoutsidethebox.com

Live and love.

YOU were the one who made it about YOU.

I never mentioned you, I don't know you, should I know you? Who are you?

•••

You should know him. You really should.

•••
•••
•••
•••
what is going on here? this is getting way off topic. this thread is supposed to simply be a discussion about hyphenated domain names. it is a place to discuss the general subject and sometimes members will list a name that they picked up. you can like, dislike or ignore their post and leave it at that. you should not like or dislike the np member.

•••
what is going on here? this is getting way off topic. this thread is supposed to simply be a discussion about hyphenated domain names. it is a place to discuss the general subject and sometimes members will list a name that they picked up. you can like, dislike or ignore their post and leave it at that. you should not like or dislike the np member.
I agree. Please refrain from or commenting about the cow guy or the dog guy, please.

Last edited:
•••

This doesn't make sense anymore. Was your post removed?

Just me having an opinion.

•••

I've just re-read the OP and I fail to see how you've come to the conclusion that the thread was created for that purpose. You seem to have invented that.

Here is the OP:

I mean, its really a piece of spam from a registrar. Perhaps there should be a 'Discuss hyphen domains and Showcase your hyphen domains' thread, but I read the title and the OP and this appears not to be one.

Last edited:
•••
You should know him. You really should.

Darn. I thought everybody knew me. I got me over 1,000 likes now so people must be knowing me if they gonna like me.

•••
•••
•••
I don't think you can confirm either of these statements.

•••
•••
I've just re-read the OP and I fail to see how you've come to the conclusion that the thread was created for that purpose. You seem to have invented that.

Here is the OP:

I mean, its really a piece of spam from a registrar. Perhaps there should be a 'Showcase your hyphen domains thread', but I read the title and the OP and this appears not to be one.
you are missing the point of my post. no matter what the title of any thread discussion should be limited to the topic of the thread and never about np members. btw, i think you are right. there should be a thread dedicated to hyphenated domains discussion and showcase. if there isn't an old one around already.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back