IT.COM

HYPHENATED .COM domains are BACK IN FASHION!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Are you going to be buying more hyphen .COM domains in late 2019?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
Just sold sushi-man.com from an Epik SSL lander for $4200. This is one of Epik's O&O domains. I don't normally report sales but these days we are routinely asking for $10K+ for good hyphen .COM names and seeing sincere engagement.

The great gTLD experiment has been run. I now routinely sell even ccTLD registrants are upgrading from their ccTLD to .COM if they can afford it. I was late to acknowledge it but the risk-reward equation for speculators overwhelmingly favors .COM.

When it comes to hyphenated .COM, SEO is your friend. I recommend to use SSL landers but any SEO lander will probably do the trick to drive inquiries.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
www. Chore-Chimp.com
What is "chore chimp"? I can't find anything about it from Googling. Which means without the hyphen is probably worthless, with wont sell.

•••
•••
What is "chore chimp"? I can't find anything about it from Googling. Which means without the hyphen is probably worthless, with wont sell.

Thank you for your reply.

I also have www. ChoreChimp.com which I picked up from @DanSanchez and in my limited experience I see it as brandable. It has a good alliteration and relates to an animal which is always good for brands and products.

It cost me $10 bucks to hand register so winner winner chore-chimp for dinner.

It won't sell probably just means that you couldn't sell it. Doesn't mean I can't or won't.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Don't skimp - www. Chore-Chimp.

Good luck

Regards,

Reddstagg

Last edited:
•••
Today someone paid $1,678 for a domain name containing four hyphens. I'm really surprised. Granted, it's a strong keyword domain:

free - pdf - to - word - converter dot com

Not mine, the transaction shows up at Namebio.

•••
Today someone paid $1,678 for a domain name containing four hyphens. I'm really surprised. Granted, it's a strong keyword domain:

In my day the words 'non hyphenated' would have been seen as 'non-hyphenated' and words that were subsequently pre-fixed (whoops...there's another example) by the letters 'de' would also have been hyphenated. For example caffeinated would have been written as de-caffeinated and stabilized would become de-stabilized.

Personally, I don't think hyphens ever went away they are just making a come back. They have been de-listed from the obsolete list.

There were very good reasons why hyphens were used in the good old days and those reasons are as applicable now as they were back then.

I happen to think that sometimes hyphenated domain names can look better than non-hyphenated (and another) domain names.

•••
•••
NEWS-HEADLINES.COM

it was renewed 15 years by wn.com owner!!

•••
It's not that hyphenated domains are back in fashion or not.

It's always been a dicey proposition to own an H-Domain knowing someone else owns the NON-HYPHENATED option.

What never went out of fashion is owning a domain and knowing that some entity has the hyphenated version. This works well for two word domains of course.

When that is the case, you're not only in fashion, but you're CRUISING in STYLE!

Millionaire? That's for Dogs. I am CAT.

•••
Sedo sales this week

black-out.com 01/30/2020 2,100 EUR
pure-water.com 01/28/2020 2,076 USD

•••
Sedo sales this week

Blackout doesn't really make sense with a hyphen. That being said, I'm jealous of whoever sold that domain for 2.1K. :panda:

•••
I happen to think that sometimes hyphenated domain names can look better than non-hyphenated (and another) domain names.

I agree. But too many hyphens - as in the case of that PDF converter domain - are ridiculous.

•••
Sedo sales this week

@equity78 what do you think about

TRUTH-OR-DARE.COM

•••
Blackout doesn't really make sense with a hyphen. That being said, I'm jealous of whoever sold that domain for 2.1K. :panda:

Good evening,

Originally, blackout would have been two separate words that were joined by the hyphen to emphasise that they should be used together in certain circumstances.

When we say non-hyphenated we should correctly use a hyphen. Go figure dot com.

Re-gards,

Re-ddstagg

•••
Sedo sales this week

Good evening,

You wouldn't believe how many experienced expert domain investors told me as a newbie that I didn't know what I was doing and that I would lose all my money by continuing to hand register hyphenated domain names.

Who's-laughing-now .com?

Don't forget - the words 'non-hyphenated' have a hyphen. Is that an oxy-moron?

Stand back, band-wagon coming through.

All aboard.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
this thread is insightful.
Started hyphenated names this February just for test. Currently registered 3 Hyphenated EMD’s

One is sold (Concrete-Pools.com)
when others do sell, I will inform here.

•••
After finding this thread in September, I hand registered 42 hyphenated .com domains as an experiment.

Yesterday I sold my first one, Flow // - // Labs // dot com, for $999 on Afternic. So with 8 more months to go I'm already in the black. Thank you @Rob Monster for starting this thread! (y)

•••
digital-media/org - the only hyphenated domain I have.

Last edited:
•••
After finding this thread in September, I hand registered 42 hyphenated .com domains as an experiment.

Yesterday I sold my first one, Flow // - // Labs // dot com, for $999 on Afternic. So with 8 more months to go I'm already in the black. Thank you @Rob Monster for starting this thread! (y)

Congrats

•••
•••
•••
Sales from the NameJet/Snapnames January sales report today:

security-assessment.com $2,500.00 NameJet
career-line.com $2,495.00 SnapNames
tourisme-midi-pyrenees.com $2,065.00 SnapNames

•••
www. Fiscal-Guidance.com
Shouldn't you own Hyphen-Guy.com:xf.confused: It's funny, but GD values Hyphen-Guy.com at $146 and HyphenGuy.com at $1,232, and they're both available:xf.rolleyes:

•••
Shouldn't you own Hyphen-Guy.com:xf.confused: It's funny, but GD values Hyphen-Guy.com at $146 and HyphenGuy.com at $1,232, and they're both available:xf.rolleyes:

Good morning,

You might be on to something. I see that the word hyphenated is taken with a hyphen in a couple of different ways.

See, I'm not the only one.

Nothing surprises me in this life.

Live long and prosper and may all your dashes be hyphens.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back