NamesCon2020

HYHPENATED .COM domains are BACK IN FASHION!

Located in General Domain Discussion started by Rob Monster, Sep 19, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

?

Are you going to be buying more hyphen .COM domains in late 2019?

1. Yup, I am backing up the truck and loading up!

12.7%
  2. Yes, but I am going to go slow there

19.9%
  3. No change

46.4%
  4. I am dumping most of hyphen .COM domains

17.5%
  5. Nah, .COM is toxic sludge

3.6%
Total: 166 vote(s)
  1. DoughMayne

DoughMayne Established Member

- Says the CEO of Epik

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. DoughMayne

This will be a market experiment: I will sell all 10 of these for just $2K - that's $200 each.
    Cool-Videos.com, Tortilla-Chips.com, Veggie-Burger.com, 99-Cents.com, Video-Tape.com, Golf-Shirts.com, Bar-Grill.com, Dont-Smoke.com, Libra-Coin.com, Libra-Exchange.com

3. namemarket

namemarket Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

re: "HYPHENATED .COM domains are BACK IN FASHION!"

Really! I don't think so except to a somewhat small degree in Germany and possibly in The Netherlands.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  4. namemarket

Several on that list appear to be "good" so according to Rob from Epik they should be valued at 10k, not $200. veggie-burger in particular seems real good to me.

5. Sheogorath

Sheogorath Top Member VIP

I own a "premium" hyphenated .com domain name for almost 4 years and I have not received a single offer yet.
    I have a minimum offer amount set to $5K to keep away the low ball offers, but it also means I don't receive offers for the domain.
    I don't see any change.

It is much more comfortable & logical for an end user to add a word or change the combination of the words instead of buying an hyphenated domain.
    If I was in their shoes, I would do the same.
    I only have one hyphenated domain in my portfolio for a reason.

I suggest to completely avoid investing in hyphenated domains, unless you come across a great one, like something similar to hotel-reservation.com.

6. namemarket

Agree fully, I have or had several over the years with no offers or sales ever. One in particular is super premium 2 keywords in a very high paying financial niche with zero inquiries and basically no traffic ever in at least 10-years. That name is listed for sale at several places and has a $49 minimum offer on it with no inquiries. Most all hyphenated domains suck so I don't understand why Rob from Epik thinks they are so good and values so many at 10k. It is very strange, imo.

7. Rob Monster

Rob Monster CEO, Epik Epik.com Staff PRO Gold Account VIP

Guys - I had a private PM with @Sheogorath. The hyphen domain is not compelling. The non-hyphen version of the same domain is also parked.

I think the key with hyphen domains, is, and really always has been SEO. They don't work on CPC landers but they do work on SSL landers with favorable SEO.

I have been buying after market hyphen domains today. Feel free to PM me the better hyphen domains that you have for which you have buyer's remorse. I will see what I can do.

@Gube and @RaquelPenha also have buying authority for the Domain Opportunities fund we set up:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/domain-name-opportunity-fund.1154823/

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent Gold Account VIP Trusted Blogger

Congrats on your sales and some really nice ones left in this list. I particularly like pre-approved and event-tickets. Best wishes for them all.
    Bob
    PS the turkey near bottom of your list seems to have eaten its hyphen :xf.grin:

9. Mary Muse

Mary Muse Premium Digital Assets VIP

e-coins.com is the only hyphenated domain left in my portfolio!

10. Darren C

Darren C Established Member

Future-Energy.com is one of my only hyphenated domains and I have no intentions of dropping it or selling it cheap ...hyphens don’t work for everything but they do work.

11. namemarket

They worked very well 10-20 years ago before the search engines developed good automatic word-parsing coding and the hyphens separated keywords but now with word-parsing it's unnecessary and they all totally fail the Radio Test so a big negative. I believe the only reason hyphens were allowed long ago was for use as word separators only.

P.S. Years ago someone wanted to know my URL and when I told them about the hyphen they did not know what it was and I explained it was a DASH. A few days later they called me saying the site did not work and discovered they typed the URL like this: www.Keyword1DASHKeyword2.com :xf.smile::xf.frown:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  12. Darren C

Darren C Established Member

Someone should tell the guy who bought Block-chain.com ....just saying.....like I said works for some others it won’t.

13. DoughMayne

I own Block-Technology.com and Block-ChainTechnology...would sell for $200 each.

14. Rob Monster

Edit:

I am buying hyphen .COM names. Send lists to [email protected]. We'll go through them and make wholesale offers.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  15. jmaurya

jmaurya Top Member VIP

16. NameDeck

NameDeck Design. Develop. Deploy. VIP

Good one. I wonder why they don't go after Huge domains for bangenergydrink.com

17. iGreen

iGreen Established Member

This seems once in a while sales. I have only one name parked with epik.

https://marketplace.epik.com/bio-nics.com

it should be all small letters after first capital letter. Tried to change it but no option found.

18. handpicked

handpicked Established Member

I saw a name dropped with 5,00,000 searches and monthly 21000 exact match searches with rich keywords and massive searches.. just regged it at epik, it's called WordPress-Themes-Free.com ... now developing it. Thanks.

19. slader23

slader23 Always On The Bleeding Edge. VIP

My only hyphen is B-T-C.COM. Not really looking to buy any others.

20. Rob Monster

21. artstar

artstar Restricted

5-G.CA

22. ecomslice

ecomslice Established Member

I sold one this week for 300 , Crypto-(LLL).com , but im pretty positive it was buyer protection for their recent non dash purchase.

I will send you my list Rob !! , buy buy buy , got to respect those who put their money where their mouth is !

23. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent Gold Account VIP Trusted Blogger

24. equity78

equity78 Top Member TLDInvestors.com TheDomains Staff PRO Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

25. Rob Monster

Buying from other domainers -- sometimes for cash, and sometimes for Epik account credit. I suspect we'll buy other domain categories too. I was not planning to blow up my inbox today but we also like family surnames in .COM, for example.

Entity-wise, Epik, Inc is the registrar. Anonymize, Inc is the privacy proxy. Epik Holdings, Inc is the parent company of both. Epik Holdings has a significant .COM domain portfolio.

Obviously, we are doing our part to add liquidity. Yesterday we bought Land.com.ph from the former registrant after buying 2 of his hyphen domains. We recently became accredited for .PH and are in the process of hiring a Filipino country manager.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice