Dynadot

Hunting Problem Elephant - by Bob Parsons

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's interesting that this story is gaining mainstream news coverage to the extent that it is. I have received 3 emails from friends and family asking if I heard of what happened just because they know I am involved in the domain name business. Bob has never had a squeaky clean image, but the general public never had a clue who "Bob Parsons" was so it didn't really matter.

Well, now his actions are being tied to a billion dollar company after posting the video on a COMPANY website. I am not going to rush and transfer out all of my domains, but you can bet that I will be moving a few and will unlikely be registering any news at GoDaddy in the near future.

•••
Say what you want about the video, I think NameCheap.com trying to capitalize on the controversy to get new customers is tactless.

Brad

•••
•••
Ya, it's also sad that bears have to be killed in North America. The bears become 'problem animals' solely because of humans moving in on their habitat and being lazy with their garbage, bbq'ing etc..

Bob Parsons has no business being in Zimbabwe and hunting elephants.

As for Namecheap they've covered there tactlessness by donating $1 of each transfer using the promo to savetheelephants.org, I'm quite happy with their move.

•••
I think NameCheap.com trying to capitalize on the controversy to get new customers is tactless.
Few people see it that way, ironically. It would have been better if Namecheap would donate the ENTIRE proceeds from the discount codes to PETA.

•••
It would have been better if Namecheap would donate the ENTIRE proceeds from the discount codes to PETA.

Proceeds? These are $4.99 transfers. There are no proceeds for Namecheap on the initial transfer!

•••
time to register GoPachyderm.com

•••
Namecheap's has a long way to go before they can be compared to the tactlessness of Bob Parsons (which, as far as I can see, has not hindered him in making a very good living).

I've hunted in the past, but I find the video very sad. Even if the elephant needed to be shot, the party-hat celebration of it is upsetting.
To add insult to injury, he gives the nutters at PETA another shot at publicity.

I can hardly fault Namecheap, as they are doing something positive - tactful or not.

•••
Oh yeah, right. Not "proceeds". I meant every single piece of money they collected. lol

•••
I strongly disagree with your logic. You can't compare an elephant and a grizzly. Elephants are herbivorous (eats only plant and leaves). They rarely attack humans unless they are threatened. And they won't kill for food. As long as you stay away from them, they won't come for you.

I've watched them in the wild from short distance and they never chased us.

In this case, it was their natural habitat (forest) that was destroyed and that makes them wander into human area. It is actually not "problem elephants", but it is actually "problem humans" that need to be tackled for these destruction.

And, elephants are one of the species that has strong family bonding. More than even the modern human.

Agreed. Also, that video hardly shows or talks about how the elephants are going to harm humans. Only the crops. And as mentioned by others, its human who have either destroyed the elephants habitats in the first place for them to start moving to the crops --- or the humans have started moving closer to the elephants habitats.

Furthermore, what makes this worse is the way Bob poses with the dead elephant - wow, so proud! Its this arrogance and then the GD caps which is most disturbing.

I don't agree with killing animals, whether its a grizzly bear, wild dog or elephants. Even if I was put in a situation where I HAD TO for the sake of defending my own life or that of 100's of other human beings - I still wouldn't brag about it... its nothing to be proud of.

•••
Oh yeah, right. Not "proceeds". I meant every single piece of money they collected. lol

$4.99 is less than what they pay the registry for the domain. Namecheap is LOSING MONEY on these transfers, as well as donating $1 for each domain to a charity.

•••
I'm happy to say that I have 0 domains in my Godaddy account. Domains that are pushed to me, and domains I win at auction all get moved out 61 days later :)

Why do you wait the 60 days? all you need to do is ask them to removed the 60 day lock for each domain, and you can transfer them out immediately.

•••
what makes this worse is the way Bob poses with the dead elephant - wow, so proud! Its this arrogance and then the GD caps which is most disturbing.
This one, i agree.

Eventhough i seem to be the only "dissenting" opinion here, I never said Bob shooting the elephant was the right thing to do. I merely said that what he did in Africa, was also done somewhere else "more civilized", but few people gave a hoot about killing grizzlies. I'm not sure if US Vice President Dick Cheney (who loves to hunt) shot a grizzly bear, would people go up in arms? Maybe the "exra" outrage here is not really about the killing of the Elephant, but because the killer was a celebrity businessman like Bob.

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

$4.99 is less than what they pay the registry for the domain. Namecheap is LOSING MONEY on these transfers, as well as donating $1 for each domain to a charity.
Pay the registry their dues, then pay the equivalent amount to charity. That would take away the "publicity" gains they made attracting customers to Namecheap.

I'm sure not all of these new customers even cared for the animal. They're just trying to take advantage of cheap transfer cost. Poor elephant. His killing sparked a discount frenzy.

•••
Bye Bye GoDaddy affiliate links on my website and I'm looking for a new host.

•••
I just transferred over a handful of domains to GoDaddy that were expiring...guess it is time to start packing my bags and heading elsewhere.

I know a lot of people here have never been fans of GoDaddy, but I personally have always liked them and have about 70 domains with them...Not for long!

As much as I enjoy the $.99 coupons and other great discounts, I can't see giving any more money to a company that has no common sense and allows their CEO to post such a thing.

My office has an elephant painting on the wall, along with four figurines on my desk...needless to say, I side with the elephants!

GOODBYE GODADDY!

•••
Parsons needs to apologize for his poor judgement and hire Michael Vick's PR/rehab consultant.

•••
I still haven't seen any post here defending why park rangers have to shoot and kill problem grizzly or black bears in the US.

If this particular elephant was an obvious threat, I'd agree with you. There are all kinds of "problems", not all of them are dangerous. The "problem" here was that elephants (and not necessarily THE one that was killed) were raiding the sorghum crops. No crazed psycho-pachyderms, just hungry ones.

RicoShay said:
Furthermore, what makes this worse is the way Bob poses with the dead elephant - wow, so proud! Its this arrogance and then the GD caps which is most disturbing.

I agree - this was the most repulsive part of the whole thing for me.

Clever move on Namecheap's part - courting the disgruntled customers. If I had any domains left at GD I'd take them up on it.

Last edited:
•••
You probably haven't watched the documentary episode of Killer Elephants on Animal Planet.

I still haven't seen any post here defending why park rangers have to shoot and kill problem grizzly or black bears in the US.

You can't bring up shooting a cute chihuahua wearing a pink dress, versus shooting a rabid dog that is trying to mow you down.

Of course, it's probably more "humane" to euthanize "problem" animals like this news:

http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/re...d-by-pit-bull,-dog-captured-by-animal-control

But how can you euthanize a berzerk elephant in Africa? And if you take it in the proper perspective, Bob most likely would have been lynched to death by an angry mob if that elephant was a cute and cuddly domesticated pet in that village.

So your're saying in Africa, one of the most war-torn places on earth, they can't find a gun and shoot the elephants themselves if they are such a problem? They really need a rich American to ride in an shoot the beast? my hero...:rolleyes:

•••
So your're saying in Africa, one of the most war-torn places on earth, they can't find a gun and shoot the elephants themselves if they are such a problem? They really need a rich American to ride in an shoot the beast? my hero...:rolleyes:
Which proves the point, that we are not really outraged as much to the "killing" itself, but "who" got the gun and pulled the trigger.

If it was a local villager who did it, we probably would have dismissed it as their local practice there. This is setting aside the disturbing 'trophy photos' of Bob and all.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

If this particular elephant was an obvious threat, I'd agree with you. There are all kinds of "problems", not all of them are dangerous. The "problem" here was that elephants (and not necessarily THE one that was killed) were raiding the sorghum crops.
Maybe we really don't know the entire story there. Perhaps this elephant was already marked for execution by the locals. Letting Bob do it for them, I will give it a grain of salt that Bob didn't have that inner feeling of a hunter on a Safari trip who happened to pass by a place where the animal was about to be killed anyway. So he gladly took the liberty, and in Bob's own words "I did them a favor".

I'm neutral on the killing.
I'm distubed and negative on the publicity stunts of anyone capitalizing on this incident.

•••
Just saw that Godaddy is offering a Godaddy Safari and have a Godaddy Safari Girl.

•••
Which proves the point, that we are not really outraged as much to the "killing" itself, but "who" got the gun and pulled the trigger.

No, it proves the point that Parsons wasn't just doing it to help the locals. I am just as outraged at anyone who shoots an elephant

•••
The infamous Mr Bob gave GoDaddy caps to all the people there...

His intentions were clearly not to 'help' the villagers.

Regardless of his real intentions, you can do a large number of other things to prevent elephants destroying crops. Given the footage there it looked as if they may have destroyed a very small portion of a crop anyway...

Bob is not the brightest crayon in the box.

•••
Castration would be the best method of calming this beast... and I am not talking about the elephant. GoDaddy Boycott banner is going up on every developed site I own....

•••
Just found this:

Yet another domain provider is offering a $4.99 transfer deal.
Domain.com will donate $1 of each transfer to Heifer International.
Use coupon code FEEDAFRICA.

http://www.domain.com/blog/domaincom/transfer-to-domain-com-for-4-99-and-help-feed-africa/

Hope it helps somebody, valid for up to 12 domains - bye bye Godaddy for some more :)

PS: I always thought the Godaddy CEO is creepy, but this is disgusting. One more reason to only "milk" Godaddy and use those coupons actually losing Godaddy money and then transfer out later on.

•••
Primitive minds call for primitive actions!

Our domains have been transferred out. We do not want to be associated with this type of activity!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back