IT.COM

HugeDomains / Namebright gets it right: Buying + Transfers out is painless

NameSilo
Watch

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
I recently bought a domain from HugeDomains. The domain was delivered instantly upon purchase.

However, what impressed me the most was actually this:

1. Upon request, they removed the 60-day transfer lock from my recent domain purchase. This was done within minutes of making the request with a live support person who promptly answered my email.

2. Upon logging into the NameBright account, I was able to approve the transfer and the domain instantly showed up at Epik registrar.

Say what you want about these guys, but they are a pretty well-oiled machine when it comes to clearing transactions for domains with minimal friction and no nonsense.

As such, I consider them to be a huge positive for the industry, and look forward to transacting a lot more with them in the future. If possible we'll add a MLS integration to make it easy to buy via API.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Rob, any chance of working things out with NB to make Epik funds an available payment method there (on Dropcatch primarily)?

•••
Rob, any chance of working things out with NB to make Epik funds an available payment method there (on Dropcatch primarily)?

Indeed a genius idea -- will discuss with Andrew Reberry asap.

•••
I had the opposite experience upon purchasing they transferred the domain to a namebright account, and added another 60 days to the lock.

Also have had many errors on their namebright site when it comes to renewing domains on weekends, or offline hours for whatever reason.

They cause a lot of disruption in the space for sure, and jack up a lot of bids on godaddy, not sure what part friend/foe they are within the industry, but not as well oiled based on my past experience. I still don’t know how they keep paying hundreds for reg fee names when users for the past year have been using their bot bidding strategy against them, to call out their proxies, makes no sense for a catcher with that many registry connections to pay their completion so much money for reg fee type names.

Maybe they have gotten better, but I would email from my registered account email, with a concern, and a day later I get an email asking what is your username, without exec addressing the issue within the email, pretty lazy customer service.

To each their own.

Last edited:
•••
I had the opposite experience upon purchasing they transferred the domain to a namebright account, and added another 60 days to the lock.

Also have had many errors on their namebright site when it comes to renewing domains on weekends, or offline hours for whatever reason.

They cause a lot of disruption in the space for sure, and jack up a lot of bids on godaddy, not sure what part friend/foe they are within the industry, but not as well oiled based on my past experience. I still don’t know how they keep paying hundreds for reg fee names when users for the past year have been using their bot bidding strategy against them, to call out their proxies, makes no sense for a catcher with that many registry connections to pay their completion so much money for reg fee type names.

Maybe they have gotten better, but I would email from my registered account email, with a concern, and a day later I get an email asking what is your username, without exec addressing the issue within the email, pretty lazy customer service.

To each their own.

As for how they got their vast inventory, I am aware of the chatter on that topic. Let's just conclude that (1) they are clever engineers, and (2) they have a lot of prime inventory. That's enough for me to engage them.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
I recently bought a domain from HugeDomains. The domain was delivered instantly upon purchase.

However, what impressed me the most was actually this:

1. Upon request, they removed the 60-day transfer lock from my recent domain purchase. This was done within minutes of making the request with a live support person who promptly answered my email.

2. Upon logging into the NameBright account, I was able to approve the transfer and the domain instantly showed up at Epik registrar.

Say what you want about these guys, but they are a pretty well-oiled machine when it comes to clearing transactions for domains with minimal friction and no nonsense.

As such, I consider them to be a huge positive for the industry, and look forward to transacting a lot more with them in the future. If possible we'll add a MLS integration to make it easy to buy via API.
Great for you Rob. I just initiated a transfer from Namebright to Epik for a domain I purchased from Huge Domains and they notified that it will not be transferred until after the 5th which is 7 days later, if they even transfer it then.

Why is that?

Last edited:
•••
i want to buy couple of names from them. how can i get reduced reseller prices from them ?

•••
Great for you Rob. I just initiated a transfer from Namebright to Epik for a domain I purchased from Huge Domains and they notified that it will not be transferred until after the 5th which is 7 days later, if they even transfer it then.

Why is that?

I actually contacted their support and they accommodated by ACK request. If they don't do it for you, ping me via PM and will try to help.

I am looking forward to doing more with NameBright in 2020. Their UX is pretty dated but they have a lot of inventory, and while many names are fully priced, there are some deals too.

The fact that they put prices out there and also allow leases provides fertile opportunity for domain arbitrage. I did it successfully and believe there more opportunity to do it at scale.

For example, let's say you sell a domain for full retail, and HD has a related domain. You can option that domain for a month and try to upsell your retail buyer for that domain.

Anyway, happy to help with HD/NB ombudsman tasks as they arise.

•••
I actually contacted their support and they accommodated by ACK request. If they don't do it for you, ping me via PM and will try to help.

I am looking forward to doing more with NameBright in 2020. Their UX is pretty dated but they have a lot of inventory, and while many names are fully priced, there are some deals too.

The fact that they put prices out there and also allow leases provides fertile opportunity for domain arbitrage. I did it successfully and believe there more opportunity to do it at scale.

For example, let's say you sell a domain for full retail, and HD has a related domain. You can option that domain for a month and try to upsell your retail buyer for that domain.

Anyway, happy to help with HD/NB ombudsman tasks as they arise.
Thanks Rob!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back