Dynadot

Hugedomains.com's review reputation is appalling. Is it warranted?

NameSilo
Watch

pantomime

Impact
We seek some advice. Hugedomains.com gets an extremely bad rap. Best to do due diligence. A quick check, Hugedomains.com's review reputation is appalling.

Thing is, 98% of these reviews are from clear idiots; their domain caught by a drop-catch. Said domain now dwells on HD with its predictable HD price.

This is business, oh pleeeeze… what is wrong with these people? If you don't pay the fare, why expect it to be your taxi? Their name becomes a taxi in the rain. Er, and...

The other complaint goes that HD sold some fool a trademark - buyer doesn't check, and buyer rightly loses to the trademark owner?

Oh dear oh dear… what’s not to get here? Mouth-breathers, every man-jack of 'em....these can be ignored.

No, I mean hapless genuine buyers looking to source some HD held domain and happy to pay for it; this at HD typical retail prices.

Seems the moment an interest is expressed HD jack-up the price. Seems if you read HD’s T&C, they can do pretty what they like? HD hold ‘some’ rights to the domain AFTER payment.

Seems HD are massive. We're after an HD held URL, maybe two domains priced at $4000ish each. Thing is we query:

Q1: We’ve tried to leave WHOIS etc etc alone. We suspect hits to the chosen domain are measured by HD. Would we be right?

Q2: Are hugedomains.com truly that awkward to deal with? If we buy, will we actually get the domain, or is it part of the game to keep it just out of reach?

Q3: Seems there’s 60 days before it’s ‘ours’. We’d want to park our domain-choice on Godaddy until we have the site content ready. Escrow adds a fair bit to the bill. Is ESCROW necessary, and how do Escrow verify we have the domain?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Love them or hate them, HugeDomains is a legitimate seller of domain names.

Q1: yes, hits are tracked and visiting the URL multiple times will likely let them know it is valuable when they price it or decide whether to renew.

Q2: I have bought 3 domains from them, I used the finance option because it is interest free, and it has always worked perfectly. I got to control DNS while making payments, and got full control of the name afterward. No problems at all.

Q3: Where did you read this? Typically they will instantly “push” the domain to your NameBright account so it would be yours right away and you would have full control of the domain. NameBright might put a 60-day lock on it before you could transfer it to Godaddy, but I would actually be surprised if “pushing” the domain would trigger that, it doesn’t at most registrars. It might also still be in place of it was recently registered or transferred by by Hugedomains during the past 60 days. You could ask NameBright support about it before you purchase. They also keep it locked so you can’t transfer it if you are still making payments.

I don’t recall paying any Escrow fee, and I don’t think it is necessary to use Escrow. I would just use a credit card to pay and you could always dispute the charge if there is a problem, but if you pay their asking price I don’t think you will have any trouble getting the name. If you do use Escrow, they would hold the funds and you would have to notify them that you have received the domain before releasing them to the seller.

Best of luck!

•••
You may check if the domain is also available as aftermarket one on GoDaddy (home page as well as auctions.godaddy.com) or another registrar you prefer ( @ the same price). So you'll simply purchase via GoDaddy, and the domain will arrive to your GoDaddy account.

Using mentioned escrow provider would not add any benefits, but it would complicate the process, as you will most likely be asked for KYC docs on yourself, and on your company (if any) just to submit the payment.

Last edited:
•••
It's a harsh world, yet I'm forced to agree with you. As my words at the start of this thread 'If you don't pay the fare, why expect it to be your taxi?'...

Anyways, seems I have complete control of the domain, it took over a week, the last of the WhoIs resource now have GD as nameserver. All sorted.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for that. Makes more sense. I had to chuckle, OK, I don't have to love 'em either, seems we get to be dance-partners anyway.

Only the whole process (for a relative newby) seems counter-intuitive. If I read it right, it's all a bit cosy? Appears a transfer to Namebright is a transfer to Hugedomains, thus it's not outside of HD's control, and their T&C would see it still theirs if it so suits. Not sure which you're referring to when you say 'Where did you read this', but I kid not - with HD reviews, I struggle to find a good word - but as said - most is half-wit non-complaint.

Escrow adds 10%. Seems odd to finance a domain too. HD's T&C appears to read, that at any point HD can grab it back? Or decide not to release once paid in full, once you've got skin in the thing?

This is all so romantic.

Last edited:
•••
Well I'm in. I've tried to buy a domain via ESCROW. It's not going as well as I expected. Seems the concierage service offered via ESCROW is not an option via HD. Which is odd. I'm not sure I know how to do this, or why HD would not allow this?

I march on...

•••
You get full ownership if you pay in full. You can’t expect full ownership or full control to move it out until its paid in full. That is standard no matter where you buy a name on a payment plan.

Whats not going well at Escrow? They are notorious for delays and bumps but not usually on the buyer end.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks gents. Looked to buy on GD. Seems they offer to charge me $50ish to look at it. Last time I paid GD for such a service, they didn't bother to reply.

Purchase: It's not so much that ESCROW will not work, more that it appears to give no more control than puchase via credit card. Yet some $700 extra in fees.

I'm not given any option to have the push to GoDaddy. I suspect I'm going via Namebright anyway. I've actaully found an outfit with worse standing than Hugedomains. Jeeez... compared to NB, seems HD are set for sainthood.

I'm aware that ESCROW have the facility to host the domain during the transaction. Then push it to GoDaddy for an GD to GD account transfer when all is done. HD seem to set terms to remove this option. It reads 'Domain name transfer managed by: Buyer and Seller.

ESCROW bang on about how they will handle it. Not here it seems... Thus if we're still in the clutches of NB, as warned... even this beginner sees little advantage via ESCROW.

All made worse by ESCROW site crashing, now have two tranaction numbers for the same sale.

Last edited:
•••
Rather than see this thread fade with no resolution, so far all seems to be proceeding? There's an ESCROW running. HD sent an auth code which I pumped into GoDaddy. Not much happened, and it appears nothing was going to.

Made a call to HD customer support, and it seems HD had not released the domain. After a prompt, 15-20 minutes later it was sitting in our 'Manage Domains' list on GD. 'Whois' still shows NameBright. Assume records require time to populate?
In other reveiws I'd come to undersand that HD would pass the domain to Namebright - this unsettled me slightly. Seems not. Not if payment via ESCROW anyway, 'tis on GD now.

•••
Hugedomains do a lot of drop catch so when someone forgets to pay for something they once owned it isn't theirs, so they are reluctantly buying what they consider their business back which isn't the case they already lost the business and hugedomains can offer it back as they are playing numbers game. Every name i dropped they have.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back