HugeDomains.com is Buying 50%+ of Expiring Domains at GoDaddy.com

Discussion in 'Expired Domains and Domain Drop Catching' started by Arca, Dec 9, 2016.

Replies:
Views:

1. urlurl

urlurl Active Member VIP

i checked buy domains the other day, put in a key word and wow, most of the names i wouldn't have even hand registered, lol

Do you think they let some of their useless inventory expire?

The opinions expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Established Member

A perfect example of why the domainers should carefully think (twice, or even more) before bidding on GD expireds as we see them now -

I owned a particular domain for a few years, and sold it to an enduser in year 2015. Enduser failed to renew the domain and it is now on expired GD auction (not yet finished). I know everything about the domain in question - all real stats, traffic, time to sell, "quality" and number/frequency of inquiries, and, of course, the final enduser price for which I finally sold it.

While the final sale price might possibly be higher, the difference would not be significant (or I would have still owned it unsold in case of any noticeably higher asking price).

Current expired auction price is ALREADY higher (vs. the year 2015 enduser sale price which I know), and the auction is not yet finished. I just checked - within about 2 years of ownership the enduser did not add any extra value to the domain - such as expired traffic etc, as they never started to really use it. Also, there is no evidence that the domain term or phrase itself became (or would become) more valuable due to any trends or sceince development or similar. Would not post an exact name here, let the highest bidder use their mistakes as a part of the learning process...

3. garptrader

garptrader Active Member VIP

This is the same herd mentality that we saw in the late 90s with tech stocks, in 2004-2007 with the real estate market and in recent years with CHIPS, numerics and new TLDs - just because a bunch of people are buying something and run up the price does not mean there is underlying value.

4. urlurl

urlurl Active Member VIP

You took the words right out of my mouth,

5. carob

carob Active Member VIP

Yes they have picked up a few names I dropped and then they dropped some after a year.

6. wwwweb

wwwweb Active Member VIP

If you are sub 200, they will push it, but when it starts getting pricey they back out in most cases.

Here is the thing everyone now knows everything, there is so much information out there it is not even funny.

That is the thing these guys are paying low-high $xxx on their names, they come to the apprisal threads here and get xxxx-xxxxx predictions about names that have gone unsold for years, and go and keep doing it, albeit not selling a single domain in the process.

I am not sure how many were around between 2007-2011 but these same names you see selling today for 3-4 figures used to go unbid, or could be bought with 1-2 bids, now you have idiots who sit there wasting 2 hours bidding $5 at a time for hours at a time, like they have no life or something.

Those names that were bought back then are going for $1.5-$3.K for the most part today.

How are you going to sustain a portfolio when you are paying $500-$800 for sun standard domains, and then getting $2K from end users. The business model does not work, and buydomains knows this also.

It is almost better to wait out the cycle, because these guys are going to realize they waste their entire morning bidding, end users laugh at their prices, they get stuck with renewals, and their capital is tied up doing nothing. There domains have no collateral, or liquid value from a keyword sense, and they are screwed. Time to go chase bticoins now, then they run to a new business, and drop, or firesale their names.

Right now a few big players, are schooling the industry, because these guys got smart, and built their own infastructure, now you have to play second fiddle to them.

Rinse, and Repeat.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  7. urlurl

urlurl Active Member VIP

they have a couple i dropped too, i guess they like sloppy seconds (or thirds) :xf.grin::vomit:

8. joro001

joro001 Business Account Business Account VIP

Good grief, more junk/average names selling huge. No more needs to be said this is happening day after day.

xn--l3h.com 13,600 USD 2016-12-31 Flippa
    globa.com 6,600 USD 2016-12-31 GoDaddy
    openrdf.org 5,050 USD 2016-12-31 GoDaddy
    piercecollege.com 3,855 USD 2016-12-31 DropCatch
    motobays.com 3,105 USD 2016-12-31 GoDaddy
    bailbondinformationcenter.com 2,650 USD 2016-12-31 GoDaddy
    airagents.com 2,488 USD 2016-12-31 BuyDomains
    ninire.com 1,700 USD 2016-12-31 GoDaddy
    loveyourlifecoaching.com 1,400 USD 2016-12-31 BuyDomains
    huzhua.com 1,270 USD 2016-12-31 DropCatch
    justlikevegas.com 1,100 USD 2016-12-31 BuyDomains
    fished.com 1,008 USD 2016-12-31 NameJet

9. Irieman

Irieman Active Member VIP

Only two bidders on xn--l3h.com, Flippa will probably end up removing this one.

10. domain hacks

domain hacks Established Member

You dont understand the value of some of these domains. Junk for your but gold for some other people. Here is an example
    You said :"openrdf.org 5,050 USD 2016-12-31 GoDaddy" - Well, that domain have a very strong SEO value. No value for you, but a lot of value for someone else.

11. joro001

I beg to differ, $5k for a domain with decent but not incredible links pointing to it, are you kidding me?

In any event most names aren't worth what they are going for, if you think otherwise feel free to participate in bidding and pay these sort of prices for average to junk domains. This is an ongoing change that we are monitoring, these sort of prices were not seen in the past for similar level of domains.

12. spooksy

spooksy Established Member

I like the Emoji going for 13.6k, but I wouldn't touch anything apart from maybe globa.com with a 10ft pole.

13. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Established Member

"Open RDF"? Well, "Resource Description Framework", aka RDF, is one of standards. Lets assume that the developers of this standard do not have registerered or unregistered TM rights, or will never claim such rights as part of UDRP process. May well be the case. New owners of the domain in question should also be aware that there is a delfi software called "open rdf". Even though this software is released under GNU (General Public License), which allows to use it in external products (to say shortly), there is nothing in this license that makes de-facto TM rights of software creators to "Open RDF" term irrelevant.

This is not to say that with this particular domain an UDRP or court case will necessary arrive. What I mean to say that one that invests in domains with possible clear TM issues will have also invest in protecting themselevles from UDRPs etc, and will finally have some domains of their portfolio lost due to legal issues.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  14. wwwweb

wwwweb Active Member VIP

globa.com was the best name on the list, but when you have to pay out $6.6K, and who knows how long you have to wait to get the $7K+ offer which gets you to break even, it is just not worth it...

here is a pm I got from someone on here I had bought some auctions in the past, totally random, but this could be what's going wrong on at the auctions these days, I will not name the person, but I wanted to show people, they are playing with money they don't have.

Happy new year to you.

Actually i need help regarding financial.
    i had problem now which i'm needed money to pay domain. i was over bid on a domain in gd auction, i didnt have enough money to pay that domain. i need to settled the payment to keep my gd account.

can i borrow your pp money $70? i'd pay back on next tuesday. Thanks i appreciated your helps.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  15. domain hacks

Seven hundred referring domains is worth it. People are ranking sites with these domains. Sites that earn them a lot of money.
    I was part of this auction and seven more bidders. This means that this domain have value for at least 8 people.

16. Doron Vermaat

Doron Vermaat --- DNgeek.com --- PRO Efty Staff Business Account VIP

17. domain hacks

Now I see that you mentioned this domain. I was part of this auction as well. Domain was ranking for VERY high CPC keywords, that was the main reason people were bidding on this one.

18. joro001

I will repeat the prices are way too high, the same sort of domains would have gone for $300-500 in the past, same with the .org above which may have touched a bit higher but no way $5k, prices are unsustainable, but if you feel different good for you. I won't be buying at these levels, each to their own.

19. domain hacks

Domain was ranking for multiple $30 per click keywords. What are you talking about? With a little TLC this domain can go for $10,000 in a couple of months

20. joro001

I'm talking rubbish, you're right it's worth paying $7.5k for these 2 names, one of them with a serious TM question as well (yeah right). Again we beg to differ but it's nice to have a different viewpoint for why some names are going for ridiculous prices, at least someone is pleased with where the market is going.

21. urlurl

urlurl Active Member VIP

i don't think they get the point 'buy low and sell high'

more like buy high and hope the hell i get my money back sell... profit would be a bonus

LMFAO,

22. Arca

Arca Active Member VIP

It appears that globa.com was listed with a BIN of $421 at Afternic prior to expiring and being sold for $6,600 in the GD Expired pre-release auction.

The Afternic listing itself doesn't work anymore, but still shows up in various Afternic network channels that are later to promulgate listing updates:
    globa.png

23. Bros

Bros Active Member VIP

It is a funny and weird time when one might be able to buy BIN domains from traditionally end-user marketplaces and flip them for more on traditionallý domainer marketplaces.

24. joro001

It gets worse. Hopefully the winning bidder for globa doesn't see this post or else he will be somewhat annoyed IMO.

25. Arca

Arca Active Member VIP

I don't know how long the name was listed for sale, but there were obviously no takers at $421, and eventually the owner gave up on it and let it expire. Going to be hard to turn a profit on this buy, seeing as the new owner paid 15x more than than the "end-user" price it was listed with. I'm surprised it even went into the four figure range though, let along mid four figures.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!