IT.COM

question How you stay focused at domaining?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bipul

Established Member
Impact
No sales, no inquiry for 3 months, How you stay focused at Domaining ?
please share your thoughts and suggestions, I love to hear your comments.

Thanks!
Bipul

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think many of domainers do domaining as a side job, so it doesn't really matter to them when the sales is a bit slow. Im not sure for professional domainer, who manage ten of thousands portofolios. How do they cope with it? Would like to know this as well.

•••
I think many of domainers do domaining as a side job, so it doesn't really matter to them when the sales is a bit slow. Im not sure for professional domainer, who manage ten of thousands portofolios. How do they cope with it? Would like to know this as well.
If you have 10,000 names they are bringing traffic each day. If you have 50 names you have to find the traffic.

How to stay motivated have your decisions reinforced with appraisals if you need that. Outbound if your making no effort then won't be known. Talk with other domainers ask them questions. I wouldn't think a lot of people will be spending a while anyway. I am not feeling busy but expected.

Last edited:
•••
I'm not a professional Domainer, I try to spend 2-3 hours each day. Nowadays I can't focus on it.

•••
•••
•••
•••
hello, i am referring to the post above yours about 10,000 domains versus 50 domains. hope this clarifies. thanks:xf.smile:(y)

•••
As @Bob Hawkes so eloquently stated, domaining is often like “watching paint dry”. As long as you have a landing page you don’t really have to focus on anything except renewals. It can be feast or famine so when you are feasting renew your best names for less stress when its slower.

Last edited:
•••
yes, i understand. the renewals cost is what gives me stress. it can come up to quite a substantial amount and the waiting game is the hard part:yuck:

•••
How you stay focused at Domaining ?

Hi

if you want to stay focused on the BIG picture....
then
adjust the knobs on your binoculars
or
if you're not that far away, then clean your glasses
and
if you don't wear glasses, then use some eye drops

three months with no sales or inquiries ain't :poop: to somebody who's been domaining for a decade or more.

focus on that!

imo...

•••
As @Bob Hawkes so eloquently stated, domaining is often like “watching paint dry”. As long as you have a landing page you don’t really have to focus on anything except renewals. It can be feast or famine so when you are feasting renew your best names for less stress when its slower.
Yeh , , "Watching paint dry" Thanks for reminding me.

Last edited:
•••
Hi

if you want to stay focused on the BIG picture....
then
adjust the knobs on your binoculars
or
if you're not that far away, then clean your glasses
and
if you don't wear glasses, then use some eye drops

three months with no sales or inquiries ain't :poop: to somebody who's been domaining for a decade or more.

focus on that!

imo...

I'm not a professional, But i love to learn, research on domain name, sometimes buy, one or two domains in a week. Thanks for the reply.

•••
It just frustrate you, being a professional domainer even i am going through that famine period. I spend hell lot of money on renewal and purchase every month, sometime even it just nerve breaking. And nowadays, when i wake up first thing i do is check mail for any sales. Worst part got a sale last week and money received in Dan only issue is I have already Sold the domain last year what a way to start the day.

•••
It just frustrate you, being a professional domainer even i am going through that famine period. I spend hell lot of money on renewal and purchase every month, sometime even it just nerve breaking. And nowadays, when i wake up first thing i do is check mail for any sales. Worst part got a sale last week and money received in Dan only issue is I have already Sold the domain last year what a way to start the day.
It has motivated me, Thank you for the reply. wake up first thing i do the same, check email inbox and then spam folder :)

•••
Hi @Bipul Thanks for raising this important question. With my limited experience in domaining sector and good years of experience in the corporate world our (particularly investors) assumption of selling domain within 3-6 months itself is in my humble opinion create a wrong notion. This rule may be true for broker, flipper or 10K+ inventory holders but certainly not for small investors.

As a small investor with less than 1K domain portfolio, I think we must give 3-5 years timeframe to each domain rather than selling it for some profit. Now when we have longterm prospect our domain selection quality will automatically improve. Also, remember those who are making big here in this Industry, all are having one common trait that is known as Patience.

If you have the right assumptions at the beginning, your expectation will be more realistic and therefore without any attachment you will focus on your work and perform better. However, if your assumption will be wrong at the starting your expectation will become unreasonable which will affect your performance and health too.

In my humble opinion find 10-100 good domain and renew for 5 years or keep aside that my much money before further investment, publish in all marketplaces and then sale based on your price and condition.

In one of his twit, Rick made a good point worth noting for all of us: "The price differentiation of a domain from 10K to 100K is not the domain but the Seller". So if you are not desperate to sell you can ask and also command a premium for the same domain. Thank you!

Last edited:
•••
Well, we have had domain names for about 24 years and we were very focused, active and involved with buying, potential and real sales, learning about all the emerging new ext. as they were being released and so much more.

We were focused as it was a dual project we enjoyed and we were also buying names for sites we had and sites we hoped to establish.

Over the past number of years I believe we are still focused with domains, just a different focus.

Almost all names are priced and offered as BIN names, our focus is just keeping the renewals current and the prices adjusted as we believe the domain name markets dictate.

Over all the years we learned with a certainty that there will be barren periods of sales followed by a rich harvest of BINs going to new owners.

Learned that with patience decent names and fair prices will find their buyers.

Domains were for us enjoyable and fascinating, more so in the early years as domain names and the internet were emerging and exploding in growth together.

Last edited:
•••
Hi @Bipul

As a small investor with less than 1K domain portfolio, I think we must give 3-5 years timeframe to each domain rather than selling it for some profit. Now when we have longterm prospect our domain selection quality will automatically improve. Also, remember those who are making big here in this Industry, all are having one common trait that is known as Patience.

In one of his twit, Rick made a good point worth noting for all of us: "The price differentiation of a domain from 10K to 100K is not the domain but the Seller". So if you are not desperate to sell you can ask and also command a premium for the same domain. Thank you!

Thank you for your valuable comments and suggestions.

•••
Well, we have had domain names for about 24 years and we were very focused, active and involved with buying, potential and real sales, learning about all the emerging new ext. as they were being released and so much more.

We were focused as it was a dual project we enjoyed and we were also buying names for sites we had and sites we hoped to establish.

Over the past number of years I believe we are still focused with domains, just a different focus.

Almost all names are priced and offered as BIN names, our focus is just keeping the renewals current and the prices adjusted as we believe the domain name markets dictate.

Over all the years we learned with a certainty that there will be barren periods of sales followed by a rich harvest of BINs going to new owners.

Learned that with patience decent names and fair prices will find their buyers.

Domains were for us enjoyable and fascinating, more so in the early years as domain names and the internet were emerging and exploding in growth together.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience

•••
The longer I hold on to a name I am not letting drop, the higher the price goes up ;) Need to adjust for inflation and appreciation.

Last edited:
•••
There's nothing wrong with just having a break from domaining for a while (assuming it's not what you make a living from).

I get bored with it sometimes and don't do anything to do with domaining for weeks or months but I know I'll always get the drive and interest back at some point and then I'm back in again.

Last edited:
•••
The longer I hold on to a name I am not letting drop, the higher the price goes up ;) Need to adjust for inflation and appreciation.
Thank you for your opinion.

•••
•••
There's nothing wrong with just having a break from domaining for a while (assuming it's not what you make a living from).

I get bored with it sometimes and don't do anything to do with domaining for weeks or months but I know I'll always get the drive and interest back at some point and then I'm back in again.

You right, I'm not a domainer. By profession I'm running a web hosting company, we sale web hosting and hand reg domain.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back