IT.COM

How well do the Afternic ns3/ns4 sales lander pages convert?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I always sell my names with reasonable BIN pricing, with no lesser minimum bid allowed. It's worked very, very well for me, for names priced between $750 - $10,000. I have most of the names resolving to a Sedo BIN landing page with no ads (which I want), and some forwarded to the Afternic sales page for the domain. (All my names are at Godaddy.) Sedo is giving me way to many bogus "sales" that aren't real and get canceled, so I looking at pointing more names to Afternic, which I'm happy with (sales never fall through).

However, Afternic/Godaddy is telling me that their research shows that they sell significantly more names for people who use their nameservers ns3.afternic.com and ns4.afternic.com which lands on a "price request" page that looks like the image I've included at the bottom of this post.

Along with using these nameservers, they also want me to create a minimum bid amount, reserve price and floor price.

I could see how this might work better for names that domainers price unrealistically high (most). But for names like mine that are mostly priced between $750 - $5,000, I really question this. Because, 1) once people start bidding at a lower price, it's difficult to get them up more than halfway to the full BIN price, 2) having to put your phone number in the form is off-putting (to me at least), and 3) maybe it's just me, but when I see a page like this I think the price is going to be very high since they won't show it.

I might just try it with the hundred or so names that I do have priced higher than $5,000 and see what happens.

But I'd love to hear the opinions of others here on this subject? Do these "request price" pages work better than BIN pages?

FYI: they will not entertain the idea of creating a landing page that shows the BIN price on it. I have to do a Forward to the afternic BIN page, which is a pain when you have a lot of names. Plus, even if the minimum bid is equal to the BIN price, they insist on showing the minimum bid field still, which looks odd.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 4.21.34 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 4.21.34 AM.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 660
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't mean some php code. There was a URL code where it would say something like godaddy.com/domain-for-sale/<domainname> and you could bulk insert this forwarder to all your domains and they would point to their corresponding page with BIN price. Then something happened along the way and all those URLs broke and I discovered by accident that they all lead to "page not found". So I removed all that forwarding.

@Joe Styler is there a way to bring this function back?
The URL you seek is https://www.afternic.com/forsale/yourdomain.com

•••
I don't mean some php code. There was a URL code where it would say something like godaddy.com/domain-for-sale/<domainname> and you could bulk insert this forwarder to all your domains and they would point to their corresponding page with BIN price. Then something happened along the way and all those URLs broke and I discovered by accident that they all lead to "page not found". So I removed all that forwarding.

@Joe Styler is there a way to bring this function back?

http://www.afternic.com/domain/$domain;

•••
•••
•••
No. I need the page where there is bin price. Finding it is not a problem. But the point is that it has to be a catch all URL, where I can replace thousands of domains forwarding to it and it automatically transforms the domain to the respective actual one.

no idea why you don't use the php code I gave you
it's doing exactly that

•••
no idea why you don't use the php code I gave you
it's doing exactly that

Thanks Frank!
Are you using them and have they converted better than the regular Afternic landers ?

•••
Thanks Frank!
Are you using them and have they converted better than the regular Afternic landers ?

used them yes
but my data is not significant
as I own mostly .de
and don't send those to afternic

•••
used them yes
but my data is not significant
as I own mostly .de
and don't send those to afternic

Anyway it's a good solution for showing BIN on Afternic lander directly.

•••
•••
no sales with ns3, ns4 , moved to dan.com

•••
@frank-germany

We need to have some shared hosting plan for this, right ?
To put the php code in that index.php, I mean.. ?

•••
@frank-germany

We need to have some shared hosting plan for this, right ?
To put the php code in that index.php, I mean.. ?

you need a server with an IP

in the root you put the index.php
and point your domains to that IP
(A record )

you need an apache installed ( or similar )
cheapest is for example vpscheap.net

•••
Wasn't there a way to put value that would just replace the last part by actual domain? Then you would not have to do it one by one

No. I need the page where there is bin price. Finding it is not a problem. But the point is that it has to be a catch all URL, where I can replace thousands of domains forwarding to it and it automatically transforms the domain to the respective actual one.

If I remember correctly, these were the name servers which used to do this. Not sure if it works now,

AN.1.NAMESERVER.IO
AN.2.NAMESERVER.IO

Edit: This thread is a useful resource in this subject. https://www.namepros.com/threads/bu...o-buy-it-now-pages.930749/page-4#post-5445699

Last edited:
•••
you need a server with an IP

in the root you put the index.php
and point your domains to that IP
(A record )

you need an apache installed ( or similar )
cheapest is for example vpscheap.net

Thanks Frank!
With this solution, we don't not need to write that php code for each domain separately, right ?

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
I have to do a Forward to the afternic BIN page, which is a pain when you have a lot of names.
You can point all your domains to the same ip of vps. And write a url forward rule:
https://www.afternic.com/domain/yourdomain.com

Then all your domains will forward to aternic BIN page automatically.

You can even build your custom nameserve.
So when you only need to change nameserver of your doamins and they will all forward to afternic BIN page automatically.

Last edited:
•••
But I think you should forward your domains to dan.com since afternic charge a fee of 20% and dan.com only 9%.

•••
you can use nginx to forward instead of php code

Last edited:
•••
Thanks Frank!
With this solution, we don't not need to write that php code for each domain separately, right ?
Cheapest is $6/year, see my singnature

•••
I kept getting and error on my Godaddy account today when trying to set these NS

To set this lander as our dns

We just use :

Ns3.afternic.com
Ns4.afternic.com

Correct ?

My account kept saying contact support for error at godaddy, would not let me change ?

Those are correct.

•••
Just put a few names with Afternic for the first time in many years and most certainly do not like the NS1,NS2 parking page leading to the "quote" page. I would think most would give up when they get to that page.
Buyers simply want to see how much.

Not
"Get a price in less than 24 hours
Fill out the form below. One of our domain experts will have a price to you within 24 business hours."

So looking for best option, may try the forwarding to BIN page but checking it out. Feel free to advise.

Last edited:
•••
https://www.godaddy.com/garage/tips-for-how-to-sell-your-domain-name-on-afternic/

Recommends using the sales lander. Directs your name to the contact page but then is contradicted by this comment:

"1. Impulse buyers. With a set price attached to your domain, someone can purchase it the same moment they see it — without any negotiation. This often leads to more sales for you."

There is no BIN price on the contact page so how are buyers going to "can purchase it the same moment they see it " when there is no price?

Maybe I am missing something?

•••
https://www.godaddy.com/garage/tips-for-how-to-sell-your-domain-name-on-afternic/

Recommends using the sales lander. Directs your name to the contact page but then is contradicted by this comment:

"1. Impulse buyers. With a set price attached to your domain, someone can purchase it the same moment they see it — without any negotiation. This often leads to more sales for you."

There is no BIN price on the contact page so how are buyers going to "can purchase it the same moment they see it " when there is no price?

Maybe I am missing something?
Understand people have no idea what is the domain market.
Talking to GoDaddy and getting a price from GoDaddy is a big advantage imo..
VS having to figure out an offer on something you don't understand.

Worse, talking to a random seller.
If your contact and public profile is clear, and people can see that you are a real, known professional dealing in domain names, then you are good.

Impulse buyers work yes, but make sure your bin pricing is good and not mostly speculative.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back