Dynadot

opinion How we could use push notifications to make more sales

NameSilo
Watch
More and more websites are adding a feature that notifies users of a price change. We might all hate push notifications but we are not everyone.

I believe sales platforms should allow for this feature and the domainer can decide to use it or not.

The way it works is that a user sees the domain price and can select to be alerted of a price change via a push notification. No email needed.

This way when we decide to lower a price we might have a base that gets a notification. Right now this industry throws out a lot of good leads every day.

We could argue that this will lower sales because people will select that option.... I know, but let domainers decide.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not a bad idea - @DAN.COM could easily split test this and see how it goes...... @LaszloSchenk

I don't use @epik landers but again they could probably try it out and see how the results go @Rob Monster @DanSanchez

The above 2 companies seem to be able to react the quickest to good ideas......

I personally would be happy to try it out.......

Last edited:
•••
We might all hate push notifications but we are not everyone.
I suspect the trend you see will continue as those service providers like Twilio work to build their business and generate profits for their investors.

I do see a benefit to us having options for both email and what you suggest. But as a end user, when I want alerts/updates from an entity I would rather give an email address than my cell number.

Just as we see people bumping posts endlessly here, I can imagine daily price drops by $1.

•••
I suspect the trend you see will continue as those service providers like Twilio work to build their business and generate profits for their investors.

I do see a benefit to us having options for both email and what you suggest. But as a end user, when I want alerts/updates from an entity I would rather give an email address than my cell number.

Just as we see people bumping posts endlessly here, I can imagine daily price drops by $1.
As it is a notification for a specific domain and not the whole platform then it is down to the domain owner how cheap they want to let it go for, also the potential buyer has showed interest in receiving price updates so they won't mind getting them.....

I can see a scenario where the platform notifies us each time someone puts in a notification request and maybe on the lander it shows how many people are receiving them (or it reads watching this domain) so let's say when we have 3 people in place you drop the price by 15% as an example which could make someone hit BIN because of FOMO........

Just me thinking out loud........

•••
I can see a scenario where the platform notifies us each time someone puts in a notification request and maybe on the lander it shows how many people are receiving them (or it reads watching this domain) so let's say when we have 3 people in place you drop the price by 15% as an example which could make someone hit BIN because of FOMO........

Just me thinking out loud........
Yep. I've made many purchase and bid decisions on ebay based just on that! :)

•••
If it was done on an opt-in basis for specific names, I presume, then it would be interesting intelligence to have as one considers pricing and hold times. I would like to see some company try it. I think there already is a case a few places where those who have placed an unaccepted offer can be notified of price changes. Going this step further seems smart. Thanks for idea, @AEProgram
Bob

•••
We've planned to introduce this feature this year. It will work around a new Wishlist model where you can add domains to your wishlist and get updates when they occur.

•••
We've planned to introduce this feature this year. It will work around a new Wishlist model where you can add domains to your wishlist and get updates when they occur.

Good initiative. But I do hope that during the implementation of this an alert/email will not be sent out for every minor change. Some of my changes are based on currency exchange rates and automatically calculated in spreadsheet (with roundings), while at such a moment that change is not substantial per update. A potential buyer should not get the impression from these types of active reports that something is changing too often, that does not appear to be a relevant change.

Thanks for making DAN better for all of us.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back